iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Organizing the mill yard

Started by Grizzly, March 23, 2013, 01:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grizzly

looked for a thread but no luck. i'm looking for ideas or mapping to better organize the mill yard. i run a logmaster LM2 and have no problem cutting volume but i would like to buck trees to length, sort, and feed into the mill deck without using up the whole farm. ideas welcome.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

drobertson

Grizzly, not sure you need the whole farm, I have seen big operations use less than 1 acre to accomplish the task, Just make piles of the sorted lengths adjacent to your deck with enough room to navigate the loader,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

i have access to scrap steel and chain from live floor trailers and wondered if i'd here any words on sorting decks or methods of bucking to length on moving decks. not worth the effort maybe? just keep it simple and make it flow?

rmack

I'm in the same boat as you in that I'm getting ready to bring logs in to the yard.

I had some dead cottonwoods so I cut them down and milled them into dunnage for both the log decks and the lumber piles.

I don't want anything on the ground if I can help it.
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

Bibbyman

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12411.0.html

Many years ago I started a topic "Loglot Management Problems".  Lots of discussion about loglots.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

Grizzley,welcome to the forum. sounds like quite the operation you got. Sawing full time? No help from me.You probably saw in a day what I saw in 2 months.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Grizzly

hehe........ never assume too much. i'm just another wannabe sawmiller. same thing i read lots here. fulltime job keeps me from doing what i'd really like. i have the mill, access to wood, and even lots of customers waiting but the fear of making it work as a living. but yep, she'll cut when we do work. 2-4000 per day depending on how many children i have helping.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum Grizzly!

I can't help you with layout optimization, that is a mill site specific consideration. Last fall I purchased the mill that I had run since new at work and moved it to my house. At work, I had a 20'x100' slab for the mill, and a 16 acre field to maneuver in. Now, I have an acre or so surrounding one of the farm buildings. It's cramped to say the least, especially as my focus is long timbers. I think material management is as important as the layout in cramped situations. Your sawdust and slabs need to be managed quickly, they can't hang around getting in the way. If you are custom sawing, your customer needs to come with a check and a truck, in that order, as soon as possible after sawing. Just having a couple of bundles of sawn material in the way can really make you inefficient.

Another area that can really cause problems is logs that come into your mill yard that are not good enough to saw, or have to be bucked down, etc. These logs and end trims take up space, waste your time, and may cost you money to dispose of. If they are customer logs, you need to discuss with them what you think is the best way to handle them, and whether or not you think it's worthwhile to saw them. After that, it's their choice how to proceed. "Housekeeping" as we call it around here, is very important. It's always a drag to clean up the mess after a good sawing session, but it's better to tackle it a few hours at a time, than to have a huge fire hazard/eye sore to deal with. And having said that, I need to go out now and bundle up the slabs from this past weeks sawing adventure. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Grizzly

Quote from: Bibbyman on March 23, 2013, 10:34:02 PM
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,12411.0.html

Many years ago I started a topic "Loglot Management Problems".  Lots of discussion about loglots.

thanks for that Bibbyman, lots of the discussion i was looking for there.

Magicman

Hello and Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Grizzly.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

lyle niemi

Im pretty new at this but so far Im finding Im needing alot of room. I have to consider for snow removal and have room for semi trucks to get in and out without a hassel. I started out having the logs close to the mill but now all the new logs that are coming in Im having the dropped off alot farther away. Keep in mind that I have the eqipment to wrangle this stuff easily. Each situation is probably different. Just my 2 cents.

Grizzly

I noticed this old thread and as it had to do with my progress in yard function I used it. I hope it's not the wrong way to do things?

We relocated the mill to a new site. There was an old house from the 40's that was in poor condition and the folks before us built new in 2005 and then abandoned the old one. We burned it down in winter when we had snow for fire spread protection and now we dug out the old concrete and debris and hauled it out back. Then levelled and spread some gravel. As Stacey and I were walking the site measuring and deciding where to put the mill we realized what our new work view would be! Very pleased.

Our new view from the operator station.

Bruno of NH

Looks like a great place to live and work .
Jim/Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Very soothing.  I am sometimes able to setup on portable jobs and have a view.

Overlooking a Mississippi River Oxbow Lake shortly after sunrise.    :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Were the fish biting? You took that job to the bank. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Actually I did.  That job was over 200 miles from home.   8)

Grizzly

cfarm - that is a lake. we are the only folks on it and all other property around it is crown (government) land. not very deep but we have loons nesting every year, as well as 3 pairs of geese, and many species of ducks. very interesting to watch the different methods of raising young. we also have otters and beaver. we usually see a cow moose on the other side but she never comes to our side. anyway it's easy to get distracted and the children always know if the loons are singing because I stop short and just listen.

Lyle

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!