iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2 stroke oil

Started by Cam460, March 07, 2019, 10:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I had an old Ford truck that used some oil. Only got 8 miles to the gallon,did not matter if there was a almost a cord of wood in the back or empty. Ther was a stop sign at a bottom of a hill,speed limit only 35 mph. Someone would get behind me trying to do 45 mph. Down shift to a lower gear coming down that hill,they would back off and do 35. :D That think would smoke!!!  Never went no more than an hour from home. And that hour could almost be counted on one hand for a year. It was a wood hauler.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

I've got a buddy who is a tree trimmer/arborist who is very loyal to Stihl products . He cut a deal with a local dealer and buys bar oil by pallet load and mix oil by the case lots  .I on the other hand buy bar oil by the gallon and mix oil by the 6 pack of little bottles . I do buy beer by the case though if that accounts for anything .
 Then you've got still others who use old crankcase oil black as the ace of spades. Others who use a concoction of old gear lube that smells to high heavens thinned with salvaged hydraulic fluid and diesel fuel .Not to mention the cooking/salad oil crowd with or without the addition of "hidden valley ranch " dressing .I guess they all work just some better that others obviously .

knuckledragger

Forever I've used the stihl fossil oil. Recently moved to the synthetic oil. I don't see any difference now but will later on maybe. Folks use all different kinds of oil. I guess If what a person uses is working no need to change.

barbender

ehp, if I could still find Klotz I would use it. I use to run it in my snowmobiles. If for no other reason than I liked the way it smells😁
Too many irons in the fire

Tom King

The Stihl dino oil burns a little too dirty for me.  Fire arrestor screens need to be cleaned too often to suit me.  After switching to their Synthetic, I've not been into any motor since.

I don't know when they came out with the FS110, but I bought one when they first came out, and have one that has run almost full time since then, by one operator in the grass growing season.  It's never had anything in it but non-ethanol, and Stihl synthetic.  I told the guy running it that when it ever quits, I won't open it up.  We'll just bury it.

USAF_Bowhunter

Klotz Super Techniplate

pgk1

Quote from: barbender on March 09, 2019, 09:02:09 PM
ehp, if I could still find Klotz I would use it. I use to run it in my snowmobiles. If for no other reason than I liked the way it smells😁
Here ya go:https://www.amazon.com/R50-Racing-TechniPlate-Ounce-Gallon/dp/B000GTZNIY it does smell good! LOL
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

pgk1

I used Koltz R50 for years and had great luck with it, I switched a few years ago to Motul 800 I think it burns cleaner than anything I've tried in the past. It can be used with low or octane levels up to 124. I have used it in my new saw and for years in my radio controlled 1/5th scale that has a 71cc reed motor that has been dynoed at 18hp at 16,000 rpm using a mix of 25:1 with 112 octane VP, I changed the head on the motor last year and the top of the piston still looked new. Lots of great quality oils to be had now days.
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

lxskllr

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 08, 2019, 09:21:43 PM
You could fog for mosquitoes cheaper than 10 bucks a quart .SAE 30WT at 16 to 1 could do the same thing .I had a ragged out '68 El Camino that was a good fogger .Worn out 327 that got 18 miles per gallon of gasoline and 50 miles on a quart of oil .Back then the oil was 69 cents a quart so it wasn't  so bad .
This has been bothering me since I saw it. Now that the thread got bumped, I did the math. Assuming you were driving it in 1975, that 69ยข is $3.20 in today's dollars. Assuming a 20G tank @ 18mpg, that's an extra $23 every fill up. NOT A BARGAIN!  :^P

I'm on my second gallon of mix using PoulanPro full synth oil, and my saws haven't blown up yet  :^D

MNBobcat

I run Amsoil Sabre at 50:1  The local saw shop says you can run it at 100:1 which I would never do but tells me that at 50:1 I should have very good protection.  

I don't want to side track the conversation but I'm curious what you guys use for measuring out the 2.6 ounces?  I poured oil from a 2.6 ounce bottle into a clear bottle and marked the level on the clear bottle.  I then use the clear bottle for measuring and pour from it into the gas can.  

pgk1

I always use a ratio-rite cup, get the one with a lid on it. They work great. The mark on a old jar works fine as well.
PM605, MS462CM, MS211

lxskllr

I saved a Stihl 2.6oz bottle, and my intention was to fill that, then dump it in the gas. I've since gotten PoulanPro oil that has a squeeze and measure bottle. Makes it easier.

John Mc

Quote from: lxskllr on March 28, 2019, 03:58:15 PM
I saved a Stihl 2.6oz bottle, and my intention was to fill that, then dump it in the gas.
The problem with that is that the bottles aren't anywhere near full when they have 2.6 oz in them.
QuoteI've since gotten PoulanPro oil that has a squeeze and measure bottle. Makes it easier.
Mu old squeeze bottle with the measuring part got thrown away by accident. I'm back to buying 2.6 oz bottles until I spot another measuring bottle I like.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Air Lad

Stole my wife's measuring cup from the kitchen
It is 125 mm which makes 40:1 when added to 5 litre's fuel
Shhhh ..Please don't let her know ;D

lxskllr

Quote from: John Mc on March 28, 2019, 04:06:14 PM

The problem with that is that the bottles aren't anywhere near full when they have 2.6 oz in them.
I like it a little richer than 50:1. I consider that a "not to exceed" number. I'm somewhere between 40:1 and 50:1. Might not make a difference, but it makes me happier. With the squeeze and measure, I measure out 3oz per gallon. Taking into account oil sticks to the sides(with 2.6oz bottles, I rinse with gas), I'm probably around 44:1.

realzed

Quote from: barbender on March 09, 2019, 09:02:09 PM
Imagine any place that caters to the off-road / dirt bike and ATV crowd would be the place to look for it.. always stocked in any such local places here!

LeeB

Check amazon for gas oil measuring cups. They have several choices.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!