iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Craftsman chainsaw

Started by dovetails, February 20, 2010, 04:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dovetails

Ya I know,buy a good saw.....(All my other saws are sthils,026,028,038,&056)
Anyway,I have a 2.2 cid/36cc that I use for cutting small wood for the stove.It starts up usually on the 2-3 pull, and runs great.Problem is after cutting for a while if I shut it off, I can't get it to restart untill its about cold again. That means I have to grab one of my sthils to finnish up, and they are getting Heavy! What should I look for to cure hot starting problem?
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Cut4fun

The stihl 026 should be lighter then the 2.2 36cc with both wearing 16" bars. I have owned both.

Dont want to lead you astray guessing on the hot start issue.

Rocky_J

My first guess would be vapor lock. Many of the old Poulans would vapor lock because the fuel tank and/or fuel line was exposed to too much heat from the motor. If you shut it off hot then the fuel would boil in the line and you would have to play with the choke to get it started again.

Not much for a fix unless you wish to disassemble the saw and re-engineer it better than the original manufacturer to deflect motor heat away from the fuel line. That, and all the typical, normal replies offered up in these types of threads. Make sure the carb is properly adjusted, cooling fins clean, muffler screen not plugged, etc. etc. etc.

Al_Smith

On occasion the solid state elctronic ignition modual will over heat after the saw has shut off .I've seen this occur several times .What helps is a short "cool down " period prior to hitting the kill switch .It could be an accumulation of chips blocking air flow also .

Now I had a Craftsman that built up pressure in the fuel tank after running and it wouldn't start for love nor money until it cooled .That is until I figured out what the actual problem was  and installed a fuel tank vent that worked .

Cut4fun

The 2.2 36cc should be alot like this poulan 2.2 here. Is  it dovetails? 

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.nsf/ed1d619968136da688256af40002b8f7/3437411440f1424088256f7e0015412d?OpenDocument

If so I never seen heat getting to the fuel tanks being a issue with these models with plastic tanks and design. What Al has listed is what came to my mind. But I didnt want to WAG at it.

dovetails

Cut4fun
The stihl 026 should be lighter then the 2.2 36cc with both wearing 16" bars.------

Have not put them on a scale, but the 026 has a 20 in bar,and gets heavy a lot sooner then the 2.2,might be just me I don't know.

Rocky_J
My first guess would be vapor lock------ hadn't thought of that, will have to try opening the gas cap next time see if that helps.

Make sure the carb is properly adjusted, cooling fins clean, muffler screen not plugged, etc. etc. etc----- done that,it gets cleaned after each use,hose it down and blow it off.

Al_Smith
On occasion the solid state elctronic ignition modual will over heat after the saw has shut off .I've seen this occur several times .What helps is a short "cool down " period prior to hitting the kill switch -----can try that too.

Now I had a Craftsman that built up pressure in the fuel tank after running and it wouldn't start for love nor money until it cooled .That is until I figured out what the actual problem was  and installed a fuel tank vent that worked . -------Another thing to check out! lol maybe one of these will solve it

Cut4fun
The 2.2 36cc should be alot like this poulan 2.2 here. Is  it dovetails? ---------Yes mine is grey, but looks about the same as that one.  Like I said, it runs and cuts great,easy to start when cold,just want it to start hot too! But then again about the time I shut it donw to move some wood or whatever, I'm about ready for a break anyway,so may not be such a bad thing after all...

A friend of mine says it could be the "duck bill" a flap thing in the fuel tank,closing up,so need to check that too.I presume it's part of the pickup tube.Will be playing with it tommorow,and see what I can find. Thanks guys!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

Rocky_J

I would recommend against hosing down any motor after use as a standard procedure. Too many things that could go wrong from constantly exposing warm motor parts to cold water. Once in a while is fine but not every time you use it. You will 'love it to death'.

Would you open the hood of your car and hose down the motor every time you got home and pulled in your driveway?

Cut4fun

Did it say it was similar to the one in the link or not in all that re-posting?   smiley_dizzy Signing off have fun.  smiley_dizzy

dovetails

Quote from: Rocky_J on February 20, 2010, 06:28:48 PM
I would recommend against hosing down any motor after use as a standard procedure. Too many things that could go wrong from constantly exposing warm motor parts to cold water. Once in a while is fine but not every time you use it. You will 'love it to death'.

Would you open the hood of your car and hose down the motor every time you got home and pulled in your driveway?

No I don't hose it when it is hot,after it's cooled off a couple hours,I just give it a quick wash ,to get all the chips and dirt out of it, then blow it off with air to dry, fire it back up for a min,to oil the bar, then put back on the shelf,ready for next time. Been doing that with my stihls since I got them, and as you can see from the models they are all over 20 years old,execpt the 026,and other than bars and chains,and sparkplugs,they are all original. My big saws were used mainly for cutting stumps down before grinding, so always got dirty when used.

dovetails

Quote from: Cut4fun on February 20, 2010, 06:47:48 PM
Did it say it was similar to the one in the link or not in all that re-posting?   smiley_dizzy Signing off have fun.  smiley_dizzy

Yes,other than being grey looks about the same.

GlenM

The fuel tank vent on these models is in the gas cap.  There is a small breathable brass plug in the middle of the cap with a duckbill valve covering it on the inside.
I've had problems with the duckbill falling out, and also the fuel caps, maybe it's been corrected now, would swell up and wouldn't fit.
fyi

dovetails

Quote from: GlenM on February 20, 2010, 07:55:43 PM
The fuel tank vent on these models is in the gas cap.  There is a small breathable brass plug in the middle of the cap with a duckbill valve covering it on the inside.
I've had problems with the duckbill falling out, and also the fuel caps, maybe it's been corrected now, would swell up and wouldn't fit.
fyi

I just looked at the cap,mine has a vent hole on the outside,inside is just a metal snapclip thing,on plastic pin the strap that holds the cap onto saw is on.Any way to test it? You saying it has like a rubber tip so it can breathe right? don't see one on mine,the strap hooks to the middle of the pin.

POC

and also the fuel caps, maybe it's been corrected now, would swell up and wouldn't fit.
I have one of these Craftsman too, and my fuel cap doesn't fit right...interesting that someone else has the same
problem.  I thought I'd just cross threaded it or something....
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

GlenM

Quote from: dovetails on February 20, 2010, 08:22:57 PM
fyi

I just looked at the cap,mine has a vent hole on the outside,inside is just a metal snapclip thing,on plastic pin the strap that holds the cap onto saw is on.Any way to test it? You saying it has like a rubber tip so it can breathe right? don't see one on mine,the strap hooks to the middle of the pin.

You're right on this one, I just received 4 of this type today, there has to be a duckbill, or some kind of check valve, under the plastic piece that holds the strap.

rickywashere

i cant give much on this subject but for small trimming and light cutting it will do fine .... my backup a old xl12 // and when ya get down on it the gas boils in the tank ;)

dovetails

yup them old xl's were a pretty decent saw I think.used a few in the past,and never had a problem with them myself.

rickywashere

Quote from: dovetails on February 21, 2010, 04:30:32 AM
yup them old xl's were a pretty decent saw I think.used a few in the past,and never had a problem with them myself.

i just cant seem to part with it plus it never failed me in a pinch or a whole day for that matter plus my uncle has about 10/15 for parts so it will prolly be here when my son needs it //// dont eat anything unless its paying for it so its got a home hehe

lumberjack48

I had a 65 Husqvara, the gas cap and the oil cap are the same size.  One day it would run for awhile, then you couldn't get it started, i was logging close to town. Will every time i took it in the dealer took he would take it in the back and pith around with it. He came out,[ i don't know guys run's good now ].  This was the 3 rd time, got back to the job, saw did the same thing. The wife was driving skidder, she came over [ still having trouble with that saw, try change the caps around ]  the saw ran perfect  [ 1976 ] :D
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!