iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw blade sharpener

Started by markkelly, December 15, 2014, 07:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markkelly

What is the best chainsaw sharpener for blades around $150-$250?
Any experience would be helpful on what has and has not work for you?

Thanks much,
Mark :new_year:
LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FayettesFinest

I bought a sharpener at Rural King for 25$. It's a little electric one that connects to a 12v battery in a truck or piece of equipment. It's got little grinding stones that look like they're for a Dremel. It's handy as all get out. I think it's made by TimberTuff or something like that. It's lime green and a good buy
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

beenthere

And.. has the potential to really screw up your chain in the long haul. Very hard to touch each tooth the right amount and at the correct angles and depth with the dremel-like stone.

Just hard to beat a couple good, accurate strokes with a file by hand.  IMO ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

FayettesFinest

Quote from: beenthere on December 15, 2014, 11:10:20 PM
And.. has the potential to really screw up your chain in the long haul. Very hard to touch each tooth the right amount and at the correct angles and depth with the dremel-like stone.

Just hard to beat a couple good, accurate strokes with a file by hand.  IMO ;)

I agree 100%! I normally use it if I hit dirt or if it gets run really dull, then I'll give it a good "once over" with a file. Like you said, it's hard to get everything right with it, I've got a couple logs laying around that look like spiral hams that prove it!  :D
A handful of junk saws and a junk F250

markkelly

LT 10 Woodmizer, Stihl, Husquvana,wood carving tools, Ford 3000 Tractor, Trailer.

Reddog

Look around for a Oregon 510 or Tecomec equivalent, it would be at the high point of your $ range.

clww

I've never sharpened a chainsaw blade. However, for the chains I like a Stihl file guide of the appropriate size (3/8 or 404). Total $ is less than $40 for a pair.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Thank You Sponsors!