iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone own a Mahindra tractor?

Started by Don K, December 03, 2005, 01:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don K

I've been looking at Mahindra tractors on the internet and I'm wondering if anybody owns one and what kind of service you have gotten out of it. I'm looking at a 42 horse 4WD model. I'm comparing it to a 40 horse Kioti. Any insights?   ???  :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

sawguy21

I really suggest passing on it. Parts and service are scarce and I  believe north american pto implements won't work. Apparently the PTO runs backwards and the shaft is metric. FWIW, Mahindra still make the Jeep CJ3B under licence.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tmullen

I would sugest passing on it as well. We bought a Shiabura 20 hp and ate a gear on it a year ago now we have a two wheel drive tractor because we can't find a new gear for it, I even contacted somebody in Japan now I'm looking at haveing the gear made but that is going to be down right expensive.  >:( Find a better brand if you can. I think you will be mutch happier in the long run.

ps: if any one has a line on parts for a Shiabura SL 1743 I would sure like to know about it! ;D
when in doubt
fire out

GAV64

DON K,

I own a mahindra tractor, 2004 2810 hst 175 hours and have been very happy, no problems yet. You cannot compare it to a shibauru or other grey market or chinese tractors. Mahindra tractors are made in several countries, india, korea and japan. Mine the 10 series hst made by tym in korea, others are made by mitsubishi and are cub cadets, the big two wheel drives are made in India by mahindra. Might i suggest you go to the tractor forums one has a forum just on mahindra as well as the other bigger and smaller companies, remember its like ford and chevy it does get ugly over there now and then.

beenthere

Don
Here is a site mentioned, particular to Mahindra

TBN Mahindra
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wiam

I have a 6500 4WD.  It had 200 hrs on it when the clutch started slipping.  Got a run around from Mahindra about warrenty.  Dealer chased and when they found a bad seal Mahindra covered it.  Dealer brought a loaner.  The tractor went back to the dealer yesterday with a slipping clutch. It has 390 hrs on it.   The service manager is not happy with Mahindra.  I am hearing this is not specific to my tractor.  Heard mention of recall.  I have been very happy with this tractor except for the clutch issue.   I have been very happy with riverside tractor in Berlin VT.  I would look into the clutch issues before I would think about buying another one.  If the model you are looking at is a hydro drive this might a be a moot point.

On the subject of Mahindra forums.  The Mahindra forum on tractor by net is very bias about Mahindra.  I anything bad is said about them you will get scolded. ::) ::)  I used to read there almost everyday, but now I won't go there.

Will

Fraxinus

Will, I talked to a fellow in Cornish, NH who had one.  Maybe he uses that dealer in Berlin you mentioned.  He said he was very happy with it.  I think I would not rush into anything myself. 
Just talked to my neighbor who is busier than a one-armed paperhanger with hives this time of year selling and installing Boss snowplows.  (He's selling one to Sprucebunny in a couple weeks.)  He has been in contact with Kioti and may become a dealer himself.  Hope he does it.
One of these days, I will get over to your place for a visit. 8)
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

solodan

I've heard good things about Mahindra, but maybe their customer service is not so great, however Mahindra USA claims to have a dealer phone number that dealers can call and get parts within 48 hours. Bottom line is there have been no compact tractors built in the USA since the mid 70s. Shibaura makes tractors for Ford-New Holland and Case, so parts should not be that hard to get. John Deere is built by Yanmar or Kukje Machinery of Korea. Massey Furgeson is built by Hinomoto & Iseki.  If you want to save money, buy an asian name, but either way you are getting an asian tractor with asian parts.

wiam

Frax,  There is another dealer in Westminster.  General Truck and Equipment, I think is the name.  It is owned by a guy named Charlie Kelton.  Ever heard of him.

Will

p.s. don't go there

Fraxinus

I have heard that name.  Thanks for the heads up.
Where is Westminster anyway?  Is it on the CT river?  I remember at Gray's years ago there was a cattle buyer from there.  They would always call it out whenever he would buy something but I never knew where it was.  They called it "West Minister". :D
Grandchildren, Bluegrass music, old tractors, trees and sawmills.  It don't get no better'n that!

DanG

I'd take a 20 year old major brand tractor over a brand new Asian tractor, any day.  Sure wouldn't buy from a company in a country that allow's slave labor, or has prospects of military conflict, such as India.  Let my Yugoslavian IMT serve as an example to you. ::)

Take the money you would spend on the Mahindra and hit the used market.  Get yourself a real tractor. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

solodan

Quote from: DanG on December 04, 2005, 09:44:01 AM
I'd take a 20 year old major brand tractor over a brand new Asian tractor, any day.  .......Take the money you would spend on the Mahindra and hit the used market.  Get yourself a real tractor. ;)

Yeah, I agree.
However, I can not seem to find any older 4x4 tractors, lots of used 2 wheel drive, but really useless where I live. I keep going back and forth between a newer japanese tractor or an older american manufacturer.
anybody have any ideas on where to find an older 4x4.

srjones

QuoteIf you want to save money, buy an asian name, but either way you are getting an asian tractor with asian parts.

I'm not sure if I'd completely agree with this statement.  Japanese tractors have a great history and record.  The more well known the name, the more likely you can get parts.  Mitsubishi, Kubota and Yanmar seem to be the top names.  Kubota has a well established dealership network in the US, but you're less likely to find grey market versions of these.

Kioti (from Daedong) seems to new to the US market, but I would look at them closer when comparing them with Mahindra.   My preference would be go with Kioti.

However, I have yet to hear anything good about tractors that come from that large asian nation known for slave labor and human rights violations.

Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

solodan

srjones,
what I meant by this stement was that, if you buy a small John Deer, Case, or whatever, you are still getting an asian tractor. I actually think Japan is far more advanced in  small engine technologhy than any other contry in the world. Mitsubishi, Kubota and Yanmar are common names in the U.S., and because they have strong distributer relations, is the reason their price tag is higher. Shibaura and Hinomoto are good tractors as well,they are well known in Japan but have a smaller name in the U.S. If you want to spend more $$ buy a New Holland or a Massey, but you're still getting a Shibaura or Hinomoto. But you're right, the better known names are easier to get parts for, because you are getting better customer service when you buy these brands. I think that spending more for great customer service is sometimes money well spent. It really depends on your needs. Quite possibly  the greatest tractor manufacturer in the world may be some kid in his dad's garage, but would you take a chance and buy on of his tractors?

Rockn H

We have a Kioti dealer and a Mahindra dealer close by, but as for as service I would have to go with the Mahindra's here.  It may just be the dealers though.  I mean the Kioti dealer is a small one-man operation and the Mahindra dealer has outlets in five states.  I know several people that have Mahindra's and are very happy with them and the service they have received.  They are assembled in Tomball Tx, I believe, with a new assembly plant, a second, in Calhoun Ga.  Here's our local dealer's site.

Scott Companies

Don K

Thanks for all the ideas so for. Kinda scary when your making a purchase like that and you don't want to get something you'll regret. Grew up with a Ford 3600 and my father has a Kubota, good tractor but getting a little pricey when there are equally good machines out there. Like JD as well but same story. Just trying to find a good heavy tractor on todays budget. :)
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

ScottAR

Deere has some economy type tractors out now that get good reviews.

Deere 790, 990, 5103,5203, 5105, 5205, and maybe a couple others.

These are simply older designs or no frills... 
The 990 and 5205 both catch my eye everytime I go to the dealer to get parts for my Yan deere...  My 1050 is yanmar in green clothes and it's been a fine tractor. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

wiam

Quote from: Don K on December 04, 2005, 03:30:37 PM
Just trying to find a good heavy tractor on todays budget. :)

That was one of the biggest reasons that I bought mine.  With the loader and loaded tires it weighs 9400lbs.  Pretty heavy for a 65hp tractor.  I need  this to hay on some of my steep VT fields.  But if it only had a clutch. :-X

Will

moosehunter

One and a half years ago I spent 3 months going back and forth between Kubota and Mahindra. I found comparable dealers (costomer service) and consentrated on, features, price and re-sale value. The Kubota was less that 10 % more than the Mahindra and a lot more user-friendly. I have grown quite fond of my L4330 and have never regretted the extra $.
Remember that tractor will probubly out-live you.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

jackpine

Wiam

What was the outcome of your clutch problem? Did Mahindra cover under warranty or did you have to pay it all?

I have a 6500 4x4 with loader and have had no problems to date but with only 60 hrs I don't expect any yet! This year I will be using it a lot more and if this could be a problem maybe I should contact my dealer and at least broach the subject with him.

wiam

Jackpine,  that trip they replaced a shaft they said had an issue and remachined the front of the tranny to put in a double seal.  They also repalced the clutch disc.  They brought it back and it had about 4 hrs on it when I was going up a grade with an empty trailer in about 6 inches of snow.  I was in fourth and the tractor stopped going forward.  This time they put a newer clutch in it.  New pressure plates and discs.  They said has not been an issue but they have completely redesigned the clutch. ::)  The clutch pushes harder than it ever has.  I wonder if it had weak springs in the pressure plate from day one.  I hope the issue is behind me because I have been very happy with the rest of the tractor.  What year is yours?  Is it the 265 loader?  Mine has the skidsteer quicktach set up on the bucket.

Will

jackpine

Wiam. My 6500 was bought in 2004 so I assume that's the year it was made, one of the last of the old style before they went to the flat deck design.  I have the 265 loader but I didn't get the quick-attach bucket and wish now I had. The loader, made by Kansas Machine Works, is heavy duty and works well but changing from forks to bucket is a chore partly because they use snap rings on the pins and you have to be so carefull not to loose them when taking off. At the time of purchase I had a 384 Leyland with loader and used that when I needed the bucket. A neighbor of mine just had to have the leyland so I sold it last fall :-[

To date the Mahindra has done all that I expected, the loader would pick up more if I could keep the back end on the ground! I'm going to have to rig up a counterweight on the 3 point as rear weight is the limiting factor.

Thanks for the reply

Bill

scsmith42

I've got two Kioti 4WD's - a 39HP and a 65HP.  Also have New Holland, Ford, Hinomoto, Caterpillar, John Deere and Dresser equipment.

The 65HP Kioti was purchase brand new two years ago.  Today I have close to 800 hours on it with no significant problems.

Dae Dong (Kioti's parent company) is kinda like the General Motors of South Korea. They're into everything from cars and tractors to shipbuilding.  Dae Dong manufactured products for Kubota for years, and there is a strong similarity in the engineering and manufacturing between the two.

I have a Kioti loader on it, and it will pick up about 3600lbs at the pins.  The universal skid steer attachments for the loader are great, as I can use skid steer implements on it.

When I purchased the 65HP Kioti at the end of '03, I looked at similar tractors from all major manufacturers.  I felt then, and still do, that I got the most for my money with the Kioti.  Little things like a smooth deck, shuttle shift, remote controls at the back of the tractor, etc, have made it very easy and enjoyable to operate.   Politially, South Korea is a US ally, democratic and has a relatively free population.

Mahindra is one of the largest tractor manufacturers in the world (India's economy is heavily agrarian), and their product engineering is based on International's products in the 60's and 70's.  They make a solid product, and I'd choose them in a heartbeat over anything from China.

I don't think that you'll go wrong with either one.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

getoverit

jackpine, I made a shaft out of octagon cold rolled steel that fits the back of my 3 point hitch. I then cut off a 55 gallon drum at the second rung and stuck this shaft through 2 holes cut into the drum just below the second rung. I then filled the 2/3 of the drum with concrete. You cant beat it for a counter weight, and besides, its cheap too ;D

I can get you a picture of it if you need one or are interested...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Don K

Yesterday afternoon a pickup pulling a trailer turned in my driveway and on that trailer sat my brand new Massey Ferguson 1533 FWD tractor with a FEL with skidsteer bucket and 5 ft bushhog.   8) 8) 8) 8)

Needless to say I was up at the crack of dawn today to put it to use. It's been a long time coming. Now to get me a set of pallet forks, then a brush grapple, and let's see what next mmm.......... ;D ;D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!