iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

DanG Coon!

Started by Tom, March 29, 2006, 10:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

My wife is having a real go around with a raccoon.  For the past couple of weeks he has been tearing up her flowers and dumping the flower pots on the front porch.  I don't know if he is looking for worms to eat or if he is just mad at her.   She occassionally feeds a barn cat on the front porch.  It took up here a couple of years ago and we see it when it is real hungry.    I think the coon is either beating the cat to the food, eating left-overs or smells the residue. 

She has opened the front door, stomped her feet and screamed at the top of her lungs, "Git out-a-here!!".

Then she came in the house waving the flashlight and "Donald Ducking" all over the place.  "Where's the shotgun?   I'm gonna shoot that (#R93(-=!!

I'm layin' low.  :D

etat

I've caught a bunch a them coons before with a live trap and a can of sardines. 

Heck, even caught a skunk out from under my papaw's  house once many long years ago now.  Figured that was better than shooting em under there or poisoning em cause if he'd a died under there I figured they'd a had to burn the house down to get rid of the smell. 
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

Tom

We have a whole swamp full of them.  Shooting one would be like emptying the ocean with a thimble. :D :D

Tom

Well, it's an ongoing saga.    Now she's  dumped one of those big containers of cayenne pepper, like you get from Sam's Wholesale Warehouse, into and around the flower pots.  The DanG coon has turned over the bird bath, carried the dish, that she puts water in for the other cat, to the rose bush across the yard and put it in the cypress planter I made.  He has pulled her plastic Easter Egg decorations out of the Oak Tree and piled them up at the back door.   I think the fool thing is smarter than she is giving him credit for being.  :D

sawguy21

I saw the title and wondered whatineck Brad had done :D :D :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

IMERC

set out some cat food...
get yur .22 or .177....
won't be long....
where there's one there's more....
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

thedeeredude

Tom,  if you ever hurt those flowers, you'll be in our thoughts and prayers :D  Why don't ya just put fish guts a couple huindred yards away from the house every night.  That way, they won't come to you for food.

Coon

No Sawguy it tweren't me this time...... :D :D.   If you want to get rid of that coon real easy just set a dish of water out and place a few soda crackers beside the dish.  Coons always wash their food before eating it.  He'll try washing the crackers and they'll disolve on him and he'll be so discouraged that he'll leave and not come back...... :D :D :D

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

JimBuis

Now come on Tom! ;)  A man as handy as you are with BBQ sauce can't figure out how to help your wifey with the racoon problem? :D  Like somebody said, put out some sardines for bait, have a good spotlight handy along with a .22 automatic, and tomorrow afternoon you can be BBQing "chicken". ;D ;D ;D    At least that is what I think it tastes like if it is BBQed right.  It has been a long time since I had any, but it sure was good.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Furby

If you only knew Coon. ;)
I've seen coons eat bread by "washing" it first, what they really did was wet it just enough to make it easier to eat.
Could see them doing the same with soda crackers.

crtreedude

The following suggestion is from my Dad - and it works. It just nearly hurts to tell it.

Take on electric fence and put it around the flower garden, about the height of the nose of the coon. Now, I know as well as you that the coon will figure out how to work around it.

Fine, then make sure it is off (shouldn't have to say that, but... ) and then wrap a piece of foil around it, and smear peantnut butter on it.

Turn on the electric fence.

The coon will find the peanut butter and give it a good lick...  smiley_dizzy I suspect that will be the last you see of the coon.

Oh, and it might be a good idea to put of the dog too until the experiment is over.

Can you imagine what it feels like to lick an electric fence.  :o :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Don P

You just need some of these.

Now there's nothing Jasper and Rusty like better'n a coon. This fellow was treed out front one morning and they were serenading him with some of their best musical efforts. About then the bird you see to the right of the coon flew up and began pecking the coon in the hindquarters, urging him higher and higher.
Well we had to go on to work that day and there was no way the dogs were coming with me so I left them all together. Figured iffen he wanted to whip them dogs, the coon had a sporting chance  ;D.

sawguy21

That coon was having a bad day.  :D :D Probably too close to the birds nest. I wonder how long before the dogs got bored or the coon made a run for it.

ScottAR

Love the pics and the JC reference...   :D
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Corley5

.223 Rem FMJs.  SPs make a mess ::) ;)  It's about that time of year here.  Every other year we get invaded and they tear up the bird feeders and make a general mess.  Did away with 5 young males two years ago. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tom

"where's that flashlight!  Get me the flashlight!"

"What's going on?"

"That ^%(*)&  Coon is back, I think.  I hear noises on the porch".

"Locks open.  Stuck door gets yanked on.  I hear a lot of stomping, then.."Get outa here..  get outa here.   You *^90.    Tom!!  "

I go to the front door and there stands my dear wife, in her night gown, in the middle of the deck, with the flashlight trained on a big coon that is sitting on the lower level of our 3 tier deck.  He's just looking at her like he's thinking "what's your problem lady?"

It's all I can do to keep from laughing out loud.  That wouldn't be a smart thing to do, as mad as my wife is.

"Go get the shotgun!"

I'm thinking "you are mad.  there's no way you would actually let me shoot something".

"go get the shotgun..    shoot over his head or something.   Do something."

Well, I felt better.  At least I know her well enough to know that she doesn't really mean for me to kill the guy".

I take the light and do some fussing at the coon and walk toward him.  He ambles off of the porch and across the yard toward the field where I saw.

Gael has gone back inside and returns with a package and starts to put stuff in the flower pots.

"What's that", I ask?

"Moth balls" she said, with an elevation in her voice that insured me that I should watch my step.

"Well, I'll bet that little girl moths would do just as good", I said.

She looked at me with eyes that were beginning to cut my skin.  I came back inside sat at the computer and decided that relaying this to y'all would be a lot safer than making jokes out front.  :D

SwampDonkey

I used moth balls in my rose flower pots, and the coons took them out of the flower pots and chewed on'em.  :o
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

Had the same problem with cats digging them out of the flower pots a.k.a. porta potty. Don't know if they chewed on them though.

GF

:D :D :D This is great, keep us up to date with the latest Tom!   I would have to say it would be hard to control a good laugh it that was my wife.   :D ;)

Fla._Deadheader

Y'all don't know Gael.  :o :o  I've not seen her mad, BUT, I HAVE seen her on a mission. That's when you find something else to do, so you don't go for a ride with her  ::) ::) ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom

You're right, Harold.  I find myself slinking into a corner sometimes to stay out of the way.  :D

GF

Tom, I take it she is faster than you are.  So far I can still outrun my wife out the front door, just hope one day she dont lock it on me before I make it out, if she does its going to hurt.  :D ;)

Quartlow

Tom, I can't believe a good ole southern boy like you is letting a raccoon put a whipping on him,  :D  :D  :D

On a side not I have a dang rabbit eating at my tulips  >:(
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Don_Papenburg

Get  apan of fly bait . set it out on the edge of the woods .  That makes cleanup faster inthe morning . Just tell your wife that it is a pan of sleeping pills ,and the coons that she saw you throwing into the deep woods were sound asleep.     Them coon love fly bait bettern ripe sweet corn. 
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Slabs

Waaal Tom

I reckon I got one too.  Or at least some flower-pot eatiin critter.  Rascal didn't leave any tracks in the dirt next to the slab and I figgered it'us probably a possum sniffin out the bone meal in the newly potted Blood Lillies but he got into some rooted and potted Azeleas too.  Reckon it's about time to break out the old Conibear.  It's usually reserved for the Armadillos but damaged flower pots calls on all recources.

Yall have a good-un!!
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Thank You Sponsors!