iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new project;

Started by Skytramp, May 06, 2006, 11:30:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skytramp

Sorry I haven't been around for a while, Mother with altzhimers, Daughter with activities, two sick children in different states and a business with outragous fuel prices and markets going to H--- I haven't had time for anything.  But I finally decided that I had to make some time for SkyTramp, which leads me to my problem.
     I recently aquired a 1929  Chevrolet car in excellent shape and am planning a compleat restoration, I know it has nothing to do with sawmill, or maybe it does, ( Stress Relief ) but was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of how the ignition system works.  Removed the battrey and didn't pay attention as to how is was installed, so much corrosion that I was just trying to get it out with out getting acid corosion all over everything else.  Question, is it positive or negative ground.  also all the wireing from ignition switch is inside a metal shroud,and I havn't figured out how to get it apart without damaging some parts that may be impossable to replace.  I have a key, but it doesn't seem to work, sprayed it full of rust  reaper but as yet no results.
     I would gladly buy a book if anyone has one or even better does any one know of a web site that would have that information.
     It has a 194 cubic inch inline six, fuel pump and carberator have cleaned up nicely and are in good working order.  just can't seem to get any fire.  I have tried to wire it direct, ( bypassing switch ) with no results.
Any information would be greatly appreciated ;
Thanks in advance;
SkyTramp;
Ps.
  I have missed your mischieviousness and unlimited knowledge on most any subject I will somehow make time to get back into the loop.
Sky;

Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

pasbuild

I think a couple of pics would help in getting your questions answered  ;D ;D ;)
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

UNCLEBUCK

I got a complete shop manual for my 1937 chevy 1/2 ton pickup , its a copy of the original and I cant tell the differance , it was $20 on ebay and its brand new, just type in your vehicle on ebay and it will pop up, I will look tomorrow at my new manual as I am sure there is the company name that markets these .  I think any 6 volt system is positive ground ? I not good with electrical  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

UNCLEBUCK

I found it Skytramp, www.americanmotorabilia.com
american motorabilia
13896 hickory drive
neosho,mo. 64850-8183

Here is what they look like ! Good luck with your project  8)

red

U B

is your 37  neg or pos ground ?
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

UNCLEBUCK

I had to read my book  :D  shows neg going to the frame so its neg ground .  Must be old fords that went positive ground ?

jrokusek

Quote from: UNCLEBUCK on May 06, 2006, 11:42:33 PM
I had to read my book  :D  shows neg going to the frame so its neg ground .  Must be old fords that went positive ground ?

I know lots of British stuff from the 1960's was "Positive Earth" according to the stickers under the hood.

Daren

I know lots of British stuff from the 1960's was "Positive Earth" according to the stickers under the hood.

The guy across the alley learned all about that. He had a 63 (I think) MGB, he decided to put an expensive radio/cd player in it. It fried it, he called me over and wanted to know why it did that. He said "Gosh, it has a fuse on it and it didn't even blow the fuse, just ruined the radio"... The fuse was downstream of the radio since it was hooked up backwards.
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

sawguy21

A Brit once told me that Mr Lucas, the guy that designed the electrics for British cars and motorcycles, decreed that "gentlemen should not ride after dark" :D They were failure prone to say the least. I told the bank I would burn my 2 year old Ford Cortina and they could get what they could out of the insurance if they would not finance a new car. I had spent the previous evening fixing the wiring for the umpteenth time >:(
That old Chev sounds like a neat project. It is relevant here because they used hardwood as structural members in the body so take them out carefully to use as replacement patterns. Good luck and keep us posted.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Skytramp

Thanks for your help guys, will try and get some pics posted in a couple of days. 
     The 29 is a different bird than the 37.  1929 was the first inline six, with a 194 ci three main engine. There were some minor changes thru 1936 but nothing drastic, untill 1937 came out with the 216 that lasted untill 1953.
     I have went back and retraced my actions and am pretty sure that it has a negative ground.  I am not real sure that it doesn't have some kind of magnito system on the flywheel, there is a third wire going somewhere.
     It is amazing how well those things were built.  I have a 25 model T that gave me fits untill I found a book on it, they are positive ground.  I think it is a ford thing, and some tractors I have worked on have neg ground.  Tried installing an altinator on one once.  finally got wise and rewired everything to neg ground, then surprise, suprise.  the starter ran backwards. Ha I don't remember how i fixed that problem but it is all a learning curve.
     The largest problem is the wiring from the switch is partially encased in a metal shroud that attaches to the ignition swith in some way that I haven't figured out as yet.  The same shroud also goes to the distributer, the condensor is on the outside.  I went to auto zone last night and purchased a new 6 volt coil and condensor, I am going to disconect the wires from the points and hot wire the coil temporerily just to hear it run and then when I find a book I will do the job right.  I just want to get it started and run it around to loosen up the mechanical brakes and all the fluids in the differential and the enclosed driveshaft to transmission so I can drain all the old fluids and replace them, the stuff is so old and stiff that it is almost impossable to push even a couple of feet with out some help. 
     Thanks again guys, and I will keep you posted also if anyone should run across a schematic from 1929 to 1936 it would certaintly be apreciated.
SkyTramp;

DanG

Skytramp, I'uz wonderin' about ya.  Welcome back!  I'd sure like to see some pics of that '29. ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

UNCLEBUCK

Skytramp I am not sure if youre understanding that this link I gave you has your book for a 1929 chevrolet repair manual that the shop would use , I just quick searched it and they have it for $16.99 , it has all the schematics and anything else you need to restore your car ok. I showed a picture of the 1937 manual just so you could see how nice and thick it is and full of detailed repair info . The book youre needing is in stock ok :)

beenthere

UB
That is a good site to know about.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

highpockets

I am pretty sure the Chev had a negative ground.  The Fords ran a positive ground for years but due to my years I can't remember when they (Ford) changed to Neg ground. 

I had a sweet 1939 coupe when I was a kid. It only had 44,000 when I got it. Cleans.  A 301 Chev was installed as soon as I go the money.  It'd beat me 360 H.P. 396 everyday.   
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

Skytramp

Thanks Uncle Buck, I went to that web site and found out what you were talking about, I have one on the  way as we speak.
     Thanks for all the help and encouragment from everyone else.  I couldn't wait, I cut the cable that went to the distributer where I could weld it back and almost imeadiatly discovered an slotted brass nut right beside where i had made the cut, got lucky and can repair it without much problem.  I installed a toggle switch and with the points cleaned up and set and the new coil and condensor installed it started up and ran like a champ, would idle so slow that you could almost count the strokes, this was wednesday morning about 1:30, couldn't sleep untill I heard it run. so on thursday afternoon, I rigged a small gas can, as I haven't cleaned the orignal tank  yet and aired up the dry rotted tires, they also have flat spots from sitting so long anyway I went for a short ride, ( couple miles ) it had been a long time since I drove a car that didn't have a syncronized transmission but with a little grinding I mastered the art again, it was something else, I hadn't put the front floor board in and got a little exaust fumes in with me and some heat from the exaust pipe, but it was worth it.  It started trying to flood on the way back, it is a tillitson carb and I was adjusting the wrong screw, (  going to have to give in and wear my glasses like I am supposed to, ha ) also think the float is a little high, the booster pump is a leather cup and that started leaking, had me a little concerned about fire so I eased it back in the shop and shut it off.  the old car has something like 4400 miles on it and the oil preasure was 12 to 15 lbs warmed up and idleing and 20 to 30 running down the road, 35 reved up, I think that is pretty good for its age, no knocks or rattles, had an exciting moment turning off the highway onto a downhill gravel road, hadn't used the brakes up to that moment other than to check and see if they worked.  Those old mechanical brakes gave my heart a little exercise when they didn't work as well as I expected them to, fortunately no one else was on the road but me.  I have some good pictures, if I can remember how to post them I will put them on this weekend.
I am just rambeling, proud as a new daddy,
Sky

sawguy21

That sounds like too much fun. :D :D :D I wish I could have been with you, I love old cars. And old trucks even better.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!