iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Northwest Ohio Tree ID *Spring Update

Started by DWyatt, January 14, 2019, 08:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

If cottonwood, twigs should be stout and 4-angled toward the tip.  The pith of twig is solid and be star-shaped on x-section. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

Sorry to disappoint guys but I didn't get to Mom and Dad's until after dark last night, so I didn't get a branch, I will try again tonight. 

OHBucknut

Black gum or poplar. I would wait for for leaves or dig around for some old leaves. 

WDH

The buds of both yellow poplar and blackgum are distinctive.  Plus, blackgum has a diaghrammed pith. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWyatt

I will unfortunately have to wait till spring when the leaves come on before I figure out what tree this is. I tried to get to a branch with no luck. 

yetti462

Quote from: Hewer of Wood on January 17, 2019, 08:47:48 AM
Looks like it could possibly be cottonwood?
This was my first thought.

DWyatt

The buds have started to come out on the tree in question. I've added a couple pictures the best ones I could get. All limbs in the pictures are from the same type of tree. It appears that the buds and twigs are alternate.

Hopefully these help!

DWyatt

Here's an update. Dad and I went over to the woods Saturday and took a look at the trees in question now that the leaves are out. After spending about a half hour looking through the ODNR website for trees we believe these are cottonwood (Populus deltoides). The shape of the leaf as well as being alternate and very thin and "whispy" in the wind gave it away. Young trees have smoother, grey looking bark and as they age they develop the deep ridges in the bark we are used to seeing

Side note that neither of us knew. Cottonwood has male and female trees, the male trees are the ones that make the cotton that we are familiar with. The female trees do not produce the same flowers and pollen.

Thank You Sponsors!