iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1985 Franklin Tree Farmer C5D - Weight and Dimensions?

Started by SliverPicker, December 13, 2013, 04:21:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SliverPicker

I am going to inspect a 1985 C5D that has had an Esco sorting grapple added to it.  I need to know a somewhat accurate weight and Length, Width (18.1 X 34 tires) and Height (18.1 X 34 tires) dimensions.  5 cylinder Deutz engine & manual tranny.  This info. is needed in order to get a shipping quote or the machine.

Do any of you fellas have this information or know where I can get it? 

Thanks,

SP
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

A lot of skidders of that vintage used to have empty weight info on the SN ID tag, usually somewhere in the cab. You would prolly have to add a guesstimate on to that for the grapple add on. Id venture a guess you are somewhere around 16,000-18,000 lbs- unless the tires are liquid filled, then could be more. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SliverPicker

Thanks mm.  You're guess is right exactly where the current owner guesses it is.  He says 16,000.  I am betting that range is right in there.  Thanks, sir!  I'm going to tell the shipping company that it weighs 18,000 because of the grapple.  The tires are not liquid filled.
Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

Sounds like a good machine. Put up a pic or two when you get it. Those deutz engines are really good powerplants!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

SliverPicker

I'm away from home right now.  When the skidder gets delivered I'll try to get some pic's up.

The skidder has a few issues, but I bought it anyway.
Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

Yooper by trade.

SliverPicker

Got photos up, but not really sure how I did it.  :)

Yooper by trade.

mad murdock

That is quite a looker!! Will be a nice wood getter. You got chains for it?  Will need at least the front tires chained up. Whereabouts in the UP are you near?

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

SliverPicker

I'm currently living in Colorado, but I grew up in Ontonagon.  My whole family is still in the U.P.  I'd love to move back.  I think about it every day.

Yeah this skidder was on eBay.  Its got a 5 cylinder Deutz that flat out purrs.  It came with a set of four chains too.  It has sat for about 10 years so its got a few seals that leak.  Two leaks in the transmission and the axle end seals seem to be on their way out too.  The steer cylinders are slow and need new packing.  The rest of the hydraulics are very strong and responsive.  The center pins are bad as well and 1st and third gear are the same ratio.  I know that sounds nuts, but its true.  Someone must have only been able to get a 1st gear for it and replaced 3rd with that gear some time in the past.  Who knows?  At any rate I have a good friend here that is going to line bore the pin holes and make custom bushings and pins for me.  "Very simple..." he said.  This is a guy who manufactures his own processor heads for his Timbco.  I will go though the rest of the issues myself and hopefully have it in the woods by February 1.

The skidder has a Cotta transfer case and I'm assuming a Cotta transmission as well, but I don't know for sure.  Hopefully I can get a third gear for it.
Yooper by trade.

Corley5

It's probably got a New Process tranny.  Good looking machine  8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

SliverPicker

That's good news.  Tons of exchanges and parts available.  Which NP transmission would you guess?  435?
Yooper by trade.

Corley5

I forget which #NP my C4 Forwarder has but I'll bet it's the same as the C5.  It has third but sometimes you can't find it and only get 1st.  Lately 3rd is back strong and 1st is sometimes absent.  I suppose it needs to be exchanged ;) ;D 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Thank You Sponsors!