iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Range of reach for unloading logs from triaxle trucks..

Started by realzed, June 20, 2018, 11:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realzed

I am hopeful I will be getting a double load of firewood logs in the next week or so.  The fellow I am in contact with will be bringing them with a triaxle truck and attached pup from what I know - one probably with a 'picker' or lift mounted and the back end of the truck bed to swing between both batches of logs.
Can anyone tell me (within reason) what the average distance such logs can be placed away from the actual truck itself - as in can they be stacked 20 feet or more (or less) away from the lift or picker easily? 
I have a specific spot I would like them to get unloaded to, which is a flat plateau of rock about 4- 5 feet off the ground that sits about 5 or 6 feet away off the road where the truck and trailer will pull up beside. I realize that there are many brands of 'pickers' or lifts with probably varying extensions of distance they can reach to - but I'm talking on average what reasonably is a good distance or amount of reach one could expect a load to get dropped at..
Thanks.. 

sawguy21

I would ask the trucker, he loses load capacity as the crane is stretched out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mike_belben

Depends on the size of the wood.  An operator can set down then regrab and push to some degree but for entire loads youre really slowing him down and might consider offering a nice tip for that.  

Can you put rock, blocks, slabwood etc down for the truck to get right over next to this drop spot?  The rule of thumb is the driver does what is best for him and his rig.  If you want deviation fdom that, youre gonna have to make it easy for them to agree to, which might be a bit of work on your part. 
Praise The Lord

realzed

I did consider waving some cash under his nose if he balks at any additional time or trouble it may take him above what a 'normal unloading' deal takes.. 
The height I don't consider should be a problem since most of the pickers are up quite high on the trucks I've seen and moving the logs (they aren't apparently much over 12 or 14" max in diameter and the majority usually less) won't require much high lifting of any sort - it's just the distance out from the tuck itself. 
I agree they should be able to be bumped or slid out further - and hopefully the driver will agree.. and if not the 'cash' may somewhat alter his impression or outlook on the job :D..
I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube of logs being delivered with similar trucks and my own impression is that it should be no problem at all considering I've seen guys lift over fences or hedges and apparently quite a distance away doing so - but I don't want to end up with the equivalent of 40+ face cords of wood and a delivery that isn't possible in somebody else's mind.. thus the average 'distance from truck' interest and questions!

mike_belben

I didnt mean that the truck needed to be up higher, just assumed there was a ditch or something that it couldnt cross.    

Why cant the truck pull up right next to the pad you want the logs on?  Why does it need to reach extra far?
Praise The Lord

Autocar

With my rear mounted Prentice I can reach twenty feet but he may have a extened boom which will give him another five feet I believe.
Bill

Autocar

On second thought more like 18 feet , loader sets center of fram rails plus when you lower it to the ground I suppose you lose length also
Bill

Southside

If I am understanding you correctly the truck can drive along side your desired spot and be within 5' of your rock outcrop which is 5' higher than the road? 

In that case unloading would be easy. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

realzed

Quote from: mike_belben on June 20, 2018, 05:34:39 PM
I didnt mean that the truck needed to be up higher, just assumed there was a ditch or something that it couldnt cross.    

Why cant the truck pull up right next to the pad you want the logs on?  Why does it need to reach extra far?
No ditch - just a slight incline for the last 5 or so feet leading up to the rock edge that a driver may not wish to park his truck up on getting him closer but also putting it somewhat on an off kilter angle..
I was just unsure what the range or average distance one of these truck mounted pickers can reach - is where my question began from..  maybe 'extra far' isn't what I require - but not knowing what is 'normal' is where this thread question was born..  

realzed

Additionally - I had the delivery this morning and the driver was a very helpful and suggested a few ways he could make it all work out without much input needed from me.. I now have a ton (tons) of semi-dry maple logs to keep me well occupied for a while, staring me in the face and I'm sure a good break in exercise and test for my new 261C-M II..
It all turned out to be a no problem deal and the logs are now neatly lined up all along the rock and further up the incline it has, than I even hoped for - so overall I'm pretty happy with it all. Nice to get someone who will work with you and take some input and try and make a situation workable and seamless!   

Thank You Sponsors!