iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where's your roots?

Started by Norway Pine, July 06, 2016, 02:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norway Pine

Hi everyone Norway Spruce here and this is my first post on the forum. I'm 19 and in college for Forestry Science. I joined the forum because where I'm currently enrolled in school I am the only kid in my major, so I'm rather lonely when it comes to talking to other like minded folks haha. I want to become a forester because I love the outdoors and our national and state forests about as much as my chain saw, an ICS concrete cutter(just replaced the clutch) but it works great slabbing up logs for the record. Anyway I was curious to know who's new like me, who's been in forestry for awhile, and curious why you folks all are here too.

WV Sawmiller

Welcome to the FF.

Just wondering - how big a log can you slab with a concrete saw anyway? How thick is the kerf?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Norway Pine

Well the I forget the exact length of the bar, but once it's in the mill frame we can slab 61 inches max unless I step up to a bigger bar.  The kerf is about 1/4"

Texas Ranger

Just  keep posting, we will come along and answer your questions the best we can.  I am a old Texas forester/wood worker.  I can answer some stuff, but mostly now it is about east Texas, or a little wood working.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

WV Sawmiller

OK, Novel approach I guess. I must have been thinking about a cut off saw - you know the ones with about a 14" circle blade.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Carson-saws

Welcome Norway.  I admire the choice of education and reasons behind it.  I wish you the absolute best.
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Norway Pine

Thanks for the welcoming to the forum everyone, feels like a great community with a lot of interesting threads that I've been reading. WV Sawmiller I could see how that could cause some confusion using a regular cutoff saw for milling, way I described it sounds like some college kid thing to say haha :D not sure why I specified it's a concrete chainsaw. I don't really know any differences between a saw meant for cutting concrete vs wood except that there's a hose line to connect the water for the concrete saw.

ppine

N Spruce,
You are the first forester I have ever met from Philadelphia.
Welcome. Why would you name yourself after an introduced tree from Scandinavia?  Maybe we should call you Red Pine or something similar.
I am here because once forestry and logging gets in your blood it never goes away.  I go out and look at forests all the time.
Forester

Carson-saws

Quote from: ppine on September 14, 2016, 06:36:57 PM

I am here because once forestry and logging gets in your blood it never goes away.  I go out and look at forests all the time.

ppine....AMEN
Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

Thank You Sponsors!