iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shippey's Possum

Started by Tom, December 19, 2008, 10:28:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Today has been an absolutely beautiful day.  It started with the sun coming up and never let me down, all the way to sundown. 

I was to go get my new eyeglasses this morning, so I went by Mr. Shippey's to see if he wanted to go and maybe get some lunch while we were out.  He was busy on a new electric motor rebuild and finished his immediate tasks so that we could sit on the yard swing in the sun.  Another friend was wanting to go, but couldn't until 11:30.

I sat on the swing and Mr. Shippey walked to the side of the yard, talking with his back to me.  "Did you see my Possum"?

No, I hadn't seen his possum.

He walked to a live trap, and over a distance of about 40 feet, speaking loudly, he said, "I got this 'possum in the trap last night.  I was trying to get the coons, but he got in instead.  I don't kill them.  I spray them with a hose real good and open the door to the trap. This one acted like most 'possums, he laid down and went to sleep. He's been there all morning".

The door to the trap was wide open, and inside was the 'possum, laying on his side with that bare, snake-looking tail curled up under his chin.  What an ugly but passive beast he was. 

I walked to the trap and bent over to take his picture.  He raised his head a little, like it was a real chore, and grinned a toothy grin at me.  I put the camera lens in a hole formed by the wire, hoping that the wire wouldn't show, and took his picture.  That 'possum could have cared less if I was there or not. 

I went to the open door and took his picture again, from the rear.  He looked over his shoulder at me, but the effort of lifting his head was too much.  He put his head back down.  He was acting just like a little kid that went to sleep during the middle of the day and was acknowledgeing your presence while still asleep.

"He's probably tired", said Mr. Shippey. "He's been up all night".

"Do you reckon he's sick", I mustered.

"Heck no!  That stupid old thing.  He don't even know what is going on, probably."  "I wet'em down good, hoping that they don't want to come back, but those 'Possums don't care 'bout nuthin'."

When we came back from lunch, about an  hour and a half later, the 'Possum was gone.

pigman

When the wife is not at work she also disturbs my morning naps.  >:( Like the 'possum I just get up and leave.

We have a 'possum that comes to the back door every night and eats the cat food. Last week I looked out and the four cats were sharing the feeding dish with their new friend. When I when out side the 'possum just looked up and then went back to eating with the cats. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Jeff

Bob, you need to get a picture of that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

LeeB

Yep that sitiation deserves a shot. If he was eating with the dog, i would say it deserves two shots.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!