iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new

Started by Bub, February 23, 2014, 10:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bub

hey guys I'm just getting in the saw milling gig i have a wood mizer lt40 hydraulic i was wandering the best way to go about buying logs to saw price an ect.... any info would help

clww

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bandmiller2

Welcome Bub, depending on your area I would contact tree service guys, they usally chip smaller stuff but the big stuff especially pine is harder to get rid of. Big mills are not interested in "yard" trees due to hardware. With a bandmill and a metal detector the trees are worth cutting. Most tree guys will deal, you cut stuff for them, they drop off logs. Many farmers have a woodlot if your cutting for them, but then your logging, unless they deliver the logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Bub!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Hello Bub, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Bub,welcome to the forum. I'm no help to ya,I get mine behind my house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dboyt

Welcome to the forum, Bub.  Check with your state Forest Products Association.  You should be able to get a list of loggers in your area that could drop a load by once in a while.  If you get a good supplier, treat him right.  Is  there any particular species you're looking for?  What size?  What end product?  Are you going into business or just doing occasional cutting?  The more we know about you, the more we can help you. Good luck!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

dukndog

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Bub!!

Rich Miller
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Gasawyer

Welcome to the forum Bub! Can't help you much generally saw other peoples logs. Good luck!
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

MAI

Hi Bub,  Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

yukon cornelius

so far I have only milled my own logs so I couldn't help you but welcome! this great bunch of guys will steer you right.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

Bub

im in ohio county ky we have a rr tie yard in town 15 mile maybe from me just testing the waters an seeing where it goes I'm young don't care to work hard an want to make extra money i know i will have side board from the cutting process an if i could find a market that would be extra money

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

drobertson

Howdy bub,, I ended up talking with loggers at the fuel station, got to be early in the morning most of the time.
Having a tie buyer that close is handy, which makes me think getting logs might be a chore,  hope all goes well for you,    david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!