All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Toolman

Interesting,

Thanks for sharin that
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have" (Thomas Jefferson)

Left Coast Chris

Interesting.  Might have some real promise.

On the humorous side, I especially liked the "Winogradsky Institue of Microbiology" reference.  Maybe a wine savoring grad school fostering uninhibited creativity?  Maybe worth checking out.   :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Bill

Interesting way to get hydrogen - the holy grail of energy

Many current projects fail because when converting energy from one form to another it ends up taking more energy then you get out ( inefficiencies like friction, wasted heat, etc ). Hydrogen is one of these that had no cheap source of production.

These new microbes need heat and cellulose. Wonder how long to figure out why it works. and how long to figure out how to make a factory to produce hydrogen. Oh and a way to make sure it doesn't go boom in your back yard. Easy compared to getting the hydrogen to start with - but years till production and a distribution network are available.

judochop

Found this site a few weeks ago.
Its the national ignition facility in the US,
its a long time project still in the works
as far as I know- I think its to be
completed in 2009.
Sounds like they are very confident
in their goals, if they are successful
I hope they don't "shelve" their findings
like other significant advancements have
been in the past.

https://lasers.llnl.gov/

If you don't have the time to give that site
a read some interesting quotes from there.

The general idea these people are working on
is to shoot lasers at pin-head sized metal that is
coated with some special stuff.
The out come is a lot of energy.

"The target factory must produce a continuous supply of high-quality targets at an acceptable cost – typically 25¢ for a target that produces 300 megajoules of energy."

"If the power plant operates at five shots a second, the target factory will have to produce more than 400,000 targets a day."

So what they are saying is 120000000 megajoules of energy
a day.
120000000 MJ = 33333333333 Wh

Anyway I only gave it a quick scan myself and dont
understand the full effects of quantity and value but looks
promising.

As far as fusion goes it is not very effecient now due largly to the ammount of neutron radiation produced.
The reaction chamber lining is broken down in a very short time by the neutron bombardment and is extremly costly to replace.
There have been discussions of using helium 3 instead of hydrogen as a fuel source, very clean by comparison
with only simple he2 as the product of the fusion process. Helium 3 is very rare on earth due to our vanallen
belts and our atmosphere, but large quantities can be found on the moon. It was stated that a kg of He3 can generate
enough power for a city like NewYork for a year.   8)

judochop

Found this other link http://www.physorg.com/news98556080.html
Has to do with mixing an aluminium alloy to extract hydrogen from water... kinda cool.

smoothED

there's a russian entrapenure raceing to get to the moon for helium 3. other countrys are working on it too.

judochop

Didn't know that.
Do you know how they will collect or mine it? Or how much they think
they could return with per trip?

smoothED

They did'nt say,i'm sure they'll be tight lipped on detailes 'cuz the first one there would become a gazillionare.

judochop

SPIKER

an interesting note to this is china expects to be on the moon shortly.  it was part of the Olympic opening statements where they had 2 china astronauts in the shot (or what ever they called them)  they floated up and out of the stadium and was quite cool !  loved the torch lighting and one of the best opening shows I ever seen for the Olympics!

Mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Thermodecking

SwampDonkey

At the University they have been making strides toward safe storage of hydrogen. I don't have any details or link. Our news likes to just feed us morsels and no details.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

slowzuki

Hey swampy, they are developing a low pressure metal matrix storage medium.  They finally got it to store more per lb than high pressure cylinders.  Is basically like a sponge to absorb the hydrogen at high pressure.

pineywoods

Quote from: slowzuki on November 05, 2008, 10:15:21 AM
Hey swampy, they are developing a low pressure metal matrix storage medium.  They finally got it to store more per lb than high pressure cylinders.  Is basically like a sponge to absorb the hydrogen at high pressure.

Called metal hydrides, and can in fact store a bunch of hydrogen in them, they soak it up like a sponge. The catch 22 is you have to heat the metal to get the hydrogen out. Takes a bunch of heat. One of the setups NASA had used the exhaust heat from an internal combustion engine to heat the hydrides. The engine then ran on the hydrogen.  Don't ask me how they got it started  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!