iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Like a bunch of little kids...

Started by ohsoloco, February 16, 2006, 06:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

I had a large pile of cherry logs to sort through and buck this morning.  Had to do some chainsaw work on one of the stumps that I picked up as well.  Shortly before work the dog and I headed back outside for a little while since it was so nice and warm today  :)  I noticed a bunch of bees (looked like honey bees) that were just living it up on all of that cherry sawdust.  Got a real kick out of a couple of them that would crawl around in it, get a "handfull", and then flip backwards  :D The fresh cut ends were real popular with them too.  Why would those bees like that cherry so much  ???

SwampDonkey

If they were fresh sawn, maybe they were after the sugary sap ??? Won't be any bees out here for a few months, the first woodland flower won't be out till the end of April, provided it's not a backward cold spring. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

UNCLEBUCK

My neighbor runs hives on my place and if the bees can find any source of moisture for a cool drink they will overtake it and make it their watering hole until its gone to eliminate flying a half mile down to the lake .  They have never bothered oak or ash sawdust pile yet  ???
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ohsoloco

UB, I haven't been cutting any oak or ash lately.  This past Friday I cut as many cherry logs as I could before dark, then started on them again Saturday morning.  It got up into the sixties on Saturday (got a sunburn on my arms  ;D ) and those bees were all over the place.  There were easily fifty of them flying around the sawdust pile, and a bunch more by the firewood pile where I bucked that cherry.  I milled maple and elm the same day, but didn't take much notice to them after that...too tired I guess  ;)  I'm just glad the dog didn't take to chasing them, she likes anything that moves, but she got stung last year, so maybe she learned her lesson  :D

UNCLEBUCK

Yeah bee's dont like dark colored animals so your dog was really lucky.  When the bee farmer sets his pallets of hives out I notice I can do farmwork around the hives when its cool temps like upper 50's , really lethargic little buggers.  Your bees must just love that cherry and if they got your pile marked like a bullseye !  That cherry would be interesting stuff , I dont have much variety up here only oak ,ash, free basswood and going to check out some chinese elm here shortly. Honey bees are pretty interesting , kind of like a chicken , when it rains or gets dark they go pile in their townhouse  :D  . Many people die from just 1 bee sting and sometimes its too late for treatment
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ohsoloco

Yeah, I found it odd how they didn't care that I worked around them all day, and they'd just scatter if the dog walked through the sawdust pile (that's her favorite spot, don't ya know  :) )  Then again, I figured they must be "feeding" on it somehow.  In the fall there are literally hundreds of yellow jackets that feed on the fallen apples and pears at my folk's place.  I can walk through there in sandals and shorts and they don't bother me at all.  Get near their nest, however, and watch out...they'll chase you down. 

When it's time for a break, I like to bend down and watch them.  That fine bandsaw sawdust flies around when they hover right over the pile  :)

I wonder how that Chinese elm will cut, UB  ???  I cut two slippery elm logs this weekend, and they were dense.  Beautiful stuff!  The guy bought the logs and had me mill them up for him.  I pulled a lot of clear 12" wide boards off that one cant.  I kept waiting for knots to appear, but that clear lumber just kept coming.  Did that stuff ever gum up the blades, though.  after that first log there were fibers (for lack of a better explanation) draped over those teeth and gullets.  Those 12" cuts really bogged that 20 horse motor down....

Thank You Sponsors!