iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Typical owner/logger split for 60-70 year growth Doug Fir

Started by RicoID, March 14, 2019, 04:48:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RicoID

Hello, I have 2 acres of relatively flat, road accessible land in the PNW with rather dense 60-70 year growth Doug Fir that I need to have cleared for building.  Considering that it is marketable timber, what, typically, is a good split between a property owner and a logger who is cutting, skidding, hauling to a mill, and piling/burning slash?  Also, what's a pretty fair rate for stump removal for such trees after the clearing?  Thanks!

thecfarm

He might take the wood as payment for all the work you want him to do. Takes time to pile brush,burn it,dig stumps and dispose of stumps. Than I suppose you want it smoothed ,level again.Here in Maine,a stump is a bother, Can't bury them and they are hard to burn. Use to be able to make a brush pile 20-30 feet high and burn stumps. Need alot of wood,heat to get them going. Now most places don't want big piles.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

BradMarks

First, I'd find out if there are any loggers/site prep types in your area.  Which is where? ID for Idaho?  If so give them a call, if they are interested compare ball park numbers. Invite them to the site. Make your decision after that.  It is unreasonable for any of us to project what is fair, as all situations present different circumstances.

quilbilly

We live on the Olympic peninsula and usually do smaller jobs like this for a % ranging from 35-50. Our current job which is very similar to what you're describing, we are doing for 45% and we are helping to pay for part of the road costs.
a man is strongest on his knees

Southside

I presume there must be real value on that lot to give that kind of split. Around here the question you would be asking is "How much do I have to pay someone to take my timber away" for a lot that size unless it was serious oak or walnut. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nybhh

Quote from: Southside logger on March 14, 2019, 08:25:30 PM
I presume there must be real value on that lot to give that kind of split. Around here the question you would be asking is "How much do I have to pay someone to take my timber away" for a lot that size unless it was serious oak or walnut.
Same here.  You'd be lucky if the logs could offset trucking on the stumps and you'd never get real loggers on a site that small who knew how to maximize value.  In no way criticizing OP, I did a similar 1.5 acre clearing on our property a few years ago to open up some views and because I wanted to make it tillable for a deer hunting food plot, we pulled all the stump with an excavator.  Getting rid of 100+ cubic yards of stumps was the hidden X-factor that blew up the budget.
Woodmizer LT15, Kubota L3800, Stihl MS261 & 40 acres of ticks trees.

samm

Quote from: RicoID on March 14, 2019, 04:48:20 PM
Hello, I have 2 acres of relatively flat, road accessible land in the PNW with rather dense 60-70 year growth Doug Fir that I need to have cleared for building.  Considering that it is marketable timber, what, typically, is a good split between a property owner and a logger who is cutting, skidding, hauling to a mill, and piling/burning slash?  Also, what's a pretty fair rate for stump removal for such trees after the clearing?  Thanks!
Rico,
There's always blokes like me who would consider clearing the stand for you. For instance, I'm looking for a place to allow me to source large doug fir, mill on-site, and then haul back to the midwest.
What kind of DBH and CVG length are you talking about here?
Keep your stick on the Ice!

Mt406

Around here that would cost you money.
They would charge by the hr for haul in and out, time on site.
After hauling logs and selling to mill you would have to pay whats left.
I am thinking your 26-28 in on butt I don't know what kind of taper you have on your trees. In Mt DF is going for .50 bdft or 80 ton. My guess is about 150-175 per tree that's delivered  at the mill. 

That's my guess I only buy logs. I have logger friends when I ask what or how they buy timber I get smoke and mirrors. never a striate answer.

Scott    

Ianab

So many things like this are regional. PNW they grow "real" trees, and at that age they should be worth harvesting. 

A friend had about 14 big old pine trees removed from her property by a local small logging operator. Her share was ~$7,000. Now OK, these were BIG old pine trees, maybe 10 ton of logs each tree, and actually one log was left behind as the excavator couldn't actually lift it onto the truck. But the job was worth it for everyone involved. 

But rather than a "share", a better question is, what are the logs worth delivered to the mill? Then you deduct the logging and trucking costs. What's left is the value of the standing trees. Hey, it might be 50/50, if the logs sell for $20K, and the logger / trucker need $10K to make it happen. But if the logs only sell for $11K, the logging and trucking costs are still basically the same. Now we are 10/90...

Even worse as some folks point out, is if the logs only sell for $9K, but it's cost $10K to harvest them. Easy to get into that scenario if you ask for extra work like stump removals. Selling the logs can still make the site clearing cheaper, but you don't make a profit. 

Best to price extras like stump removal as a separate item. The logger may be able to do the work, locally the small scale guys usually use a large excavator as a multipurpose machine. Makes tracks, moves and sorts logs, loads trucks etc. But once he's hauled the logs out, and has an excavator on site, then you maybe pay him for another day as an excavator operator before he gets the machine moved out.  Alternatively they can use a large excavator to actually dig and push the trees over, then cut the logs. But that makes the logging slower and more expensive.... 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

h2ofwlr

we are located near Olympia Washington.  For small  iogging jobs  like  yours loggers are in the 40 to 50%  range. This would be to cut yard truck and pile debris.  Any stumping and removal is usually done by the acre   this is around 4k per acre. mark

Thank You Sponsors!