iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poplar tree growth mass by year?

Started by j.a.w, March 19, 2019, 08:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

j.a.w

I'm wondering if anyone knows where to find any raw data on poplar tree growth mass by year?  I have read plenty of studies and have tried to get the raw data, but I'm always SOL.  The research that's been done near me is lacking for the information I'm looking for.

I use tons of wood chips for my compost operation every year.  Most of my wood chips are rejected loads and from cleaning up logging sites.  I hate the large chip that tree services use so I don't take them at this time.

I have 8 plots that are 5 acres each that have been planted with poplar for biomass chips.  This will be my first year of harvesting a plot.

Texas Ranger

some where around 110 cu ft per year per acre.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

clearcut

Tulip poplar (Liriodendron tulipifera) or Aspen (Populus spp.)?

The key words to search are "growth and yield model" for the particular species that interest you.

Raw data are rarely reported, you would have to contact the authors directly.

What exactly are you looking for?
Carbon sequestered upon request.

j.a.w

There are a few different spices that are mixed thought.  The first year we planted Populus deltoides, Populus grandidentata, Liriodendron tulipifera, and something that is hybrid that looks like a Betula nigra, but it's not.  Different years we took cuttings from different trees so all the plots are somewhat different.  

I have contacted authors and universities with mixed results.

Just looking for more indepth information to make better long term decisions.  This year is a growout year for us and I have a lot of time on my hands as I'm limiting orders this year.

clearcut

Given that information, your best strategy may be to carefully measure your existing trees and extrapolate from that. 

Populus spp. , especially hybrids can be quite sensitive to environmental conditions. If you review the literature on Short Rotation Intensive Culture, you can see large growth responses to relatively small changes in nutrition and water availablity.

So what you have and how you manage it, is currently the best predictor of what you will have in the future.

Carbon sequestered upon request.

wisconsitom

j.a.w....contact Mr. Ron Zelazny at US Forest Service Northern Research Station in Rhinelander, WI.  Ron will be able to link you to volumes of info on the topic you seek info on.  He heads up, among other things, the short-rotation woody crop initiative.

tom

PS..."tulip poplar" is Liriodendron tulipifera.  All "poplars" as well as all aspens are in genus Populus.  So-called "tulip poplar" has nothing whatever to do with poplars and aspens.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

j.a.w

clearcut I have been tracking about 500 trees through the plots over the years.  I have tried thinning and pruning with the different types of poplar.  I'm to the point I'm able to make some good educated guess about some of the types that I have growing for different issues biased off where I'm at.

Thank you wisconsitom for the lead.
I did not mean to post Liriodendron tulipifera I meant Magnoliaceae Liriodendron tulipifera.  Crazy tree names drive me nuts.

Texas Ranger

USDA has a web site (Web Soil Survey) that can let you do some basics by species on your particular tract of land.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ron Scott

Yes, contact the USFS Northern Research Station.
~Ron

j.a.w

Thank you for giving me more information to read. 

Thank You Sponsors!