iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tractor question

Started by Mongo, September 13, 2004, 08:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mongo

I guess this is the most appropriate place to ask this... we've always used a regular farm tractor for hauling firewood out of the woods. My father opted to have the wheels weighted for better traction, so the tires are partially filled with calcium (chloride? I think)  One of the big disadvantages of course is that the stuff is corrosive.

So, my probably dumb question is, why don't they use something inert? What would be wrong with plain old sand? Is it because the tires will let in some water and the sand would clump up? On a vehicle with a max speed of about 11mph, would that be that big a deal anyway?

Tom

We "water" tires down here.  I guess that doesn't work too good where everything free-e-e--e---ezes.   brrrrr-r-r!

Perhaps there is somekind of liquid anti-freeze that could be put in the tire.  

beenthere

Use windshield washer fluid in mine. Not quite as heavy per gallon as calcium chloride solution (like 8# vs 11#).
But I'd expect sand would be very abrasive to the inside of your tire. As well, sand wouldn't 'flow' around in the tire fast enough to not start to roll over the top, even below 11mph.  Rolling weight over the top will cause imbalance that you don't want for control of the tractor. Also, unless the sand was really very dry, and kept that way, it would freeze in lumps in the cold winter and that would not be pretty with a lump throwing the tire off balance.  Whump, whump, whump. Getting that sand in and out of a tire would not be easy either. Now, using a fluid pump, makes it pretty easy.

If there are no leaks, then the tire will hold air, will hold the  calcium chloride in so it is not corrosive, and also will not let in any water.  Maybe just repair the leaks?   :)

I like the washer fluid, as it is usually less than a buck a gallon.
Sugar beet juice (not sure if its from pulp or not) is also used and weighs more (?) than the calcium chloride. About $3 per gallon.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Mongo

Wow, do I feel stupid. I was assuming the calcium chloride was a solid, didn't even think of it being a liquid.  :D

Still, the water with anti-freeze or windshield washer fluid does seem like a better route to go.

Is Calcium Chloride toxic? If I used water+antifreeze, I'd want to use the new "no toxic" stuff. Would hate to puncture the tire and kill everything in a 10 foot radius.

Ed

There is an alternative stuff made from beet juice. It's not quite as heavy as chloride but its not corrosive & won't freeze. Check with your local industrial/farm tire dealer.

etat

I use plain ole water, with a gallon of plain ole antifreeze.  Haven't ever had any problem with it.  You can get an attachment to fit a waterhose and valve stem at a tractor supply.  To get antifreeze in it I use a old waterhose, funnel the antifreeze into the hose, put on the connector and screw to the valve stem.  Turn on the water and it pushes the antifreeze in and fills with water.  There's a button you push on the connector to bleed off air as the tire fills up with water.  Have the tire turned to where the valve stem is up.  Fill with water.  Remove the connection.  Let any excess water drain out the valve stem. This will leave the tire about two thirds full of water.  Install the guts of the valve stem, and finish filling with air.  
Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

J_T

That bleader valve Ck menchoned is for when the tire starts to get tight shut off the water blead out the air and put in more water . Do Not hook a hose on a big tire and go away as the water and air combo will probley explode before you know what happened. :-[ Never blew one my self but have changed a bunch of them use to run a service truck for a tire Co.
Jim Holloway

ScottAR

The beet juice is probably the least corrosive,  Rimguard is the brand name. Might have to hunt for a dealer.  Several have had good luck with the winter grade washer fluid over on the tractor board.  HTH
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Fla._Deadheader

Did the same as CK, when we were in Ar. I used 3 gallons of regular anti-freeze in each rear tire. If you allow the tires to freeze, DO NOT run them. The ice will slice the tubes like a razor.  ::) ::)

Calcium Chloride will eat the rims up. Once you get a leak, you can never stop the corrosion of the rims, if you use the Calcium Chloride.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

beenthere

FL_DH
Keeping the calcium chloride solution above the rim (over the top) will keep the rim from rusting on the inside if tubeless. True, that any leaks bleading out where the air can get to it will cause rusting. Especially around the valve stem.
I sold a Deere 2-cyl two years ago, with some surface rust around the valve stems, and it had calcium chloride in the tires from new '58 to '02. Not a major problem in 44 yrs.
My new tractor has straight windshield washer fluid, about 35 gal in each tire, good to -10.  Colder than that, its just slush, not solid.

Some think the fluid is poisonous to animals, and won't use it because if it leaks, they don't want to poison the animals. Okay by me to think that. But if a tire leaks fluid, doubtful any animals will get enough of it from a puddle to bother. But also, if it were that poisonous, I don't think it would be allowed to be sprayed on the car windshields either. Just my opinion though.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dom

If you put tubes in your tires, it will not corrode the rim. Our dealership only installed tubes in one tire, and the other rim coroded after 6 years. Calcium chrolide is the stuff you want for winter.

beenthere

There is no good solution to the calcium chloride use as weight in a tire. Even with a tube, any small leak or puncture of the tube will allow the corrosive solution to get between the rim and the tube, as well as ooze out around the valve stem.
It's why I prefer the windshield washer fluid. Cheaper, not as heavy, but 'clean' and non-corrosive.
Each to their own. Lots of choices.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Corley5

http://www.rimguard.biz/

We use this stuff in our tractor tires at work and the next time I need to ballast tires here at home I'll use it too.  Good stuff
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

D._Frederick

Calcium Choride is not used for the antifreeze value,it is used because it makes the weight much greater than just using water and reqular antifreeze.

Bobcat_pa

Any one know the weight of a gallon of calcium choride ?  

J_T

If my memory works we put one or two hundred lbs in about fifty gal barrel and stured it with air  it would fill a 13.6x26 tire . My tractor is twenty or so years old another twenty and I wont care if it rust's away as I want to leave some work for the next person . Now I use wheel weights  but if I need more I would do it like Ck and Fd said . Then to gain the extra you could just eat more and gain a little weight  :D :D Of course I fix all my own tires as it has got pricey :( Or I am just tight one  ;D
Jim Holloway

johnjbc

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

etat

A few notes from my service manual.

Caution: Calcium chloride may attack clothing or cause skin irritation.  Avoid direct contact. If contacted wash immediately with clean water.

..............The strength of the solution can be tested by using a hydrometer.................If the hyd. reading is less than 1.148 the solution is not safe for temp. lower than 0 degrees F.........

When mixing Calcium Cloride solution, never pour water over the CC.  Add the CC to the water.  Usually tires are filled to the level of the valve stem when the stem is at its topmost position, 75 percent full.

Example tire size from the service manual chart....  

Tire size...18.4-30.............Pounds 77-80 percent CaC..........266 pounds.         Gallons solution............88.5 galons.........Weight...........900 pounds.

A special water air water Gage should be used for testing tires filled with CC solution.  When checking air pressure in tires with CC solution be sure the valve stem is at the top. Always replace the valve caps and be sure they are tight to provide a positive air seal.  

D. was absolutely right that the reason for using CC is to add weight to the water.  It's pretty much my opinion that that dang tire is pretty dang heavy with just plain water and antifreeze, and if ya do have a flat you don't have to dump all that CC out somewhere.  I hadn't ever thought about using washer fluid. I've fixed more than a few of them flats and I always keep the dogs or animals back until the fluid soaks in the ground a bit.  Haven't harmed an animal yet unless maybe it was a bug or a worm I didn't know about.

JT, I reckon I'm pretty tight myself as I fix my own flats too.! :)

Old Age and Treachery will outperform Youth and Inexperence. The thing is, getting older is starting to be painful.

FiremanEd

Coming from a farming background I can say that every new farm tractor I've ever known of has come from the factory w/ calcium choride in the rear tires. I've never known of a rim rusting to a point of being unuasable. Dad had some tractors well over 30 years old which had calcium choride in them for most if not all of their life with lots of flats. Never seen a rim fail from corrosion.

Just my $0.02  
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

beenthere

FiermanEd.
Not to argue with you  8) but I have twice the years of 'bein around' and also from a farming background. I've never known of a tractor factory that would put calcium chloride in tires, but instead the dealers would prep those tractors and pump it in.  Could be its just the brands that we have experience with.
 ;)
I've also seen a lot of rusted rims, and I suspect the biggest percentage of them were from calcium chloride for ballast. It's salt and very corrosive to steel. Now that doesn't mean that rims always rust from calcium chloride. Just that if the rims are rusted, its likely due to calcium choride.  ;)
south central Wisconsin

Egon

From Many Many years ago I seem to recall some construction equipment having lead beads in the tires for more weight. Think it was on loaders.

Egon  ???

EdK

I just used the windshield washer fluid in 55 gal drums as a DIY project. There were no dealers in my area interested in servicing me on-site. I thought the Rim-guard beet juice sounded the best but it was expensive.

Sure the WW fluid is not as dense as CaCl solution but it works well enough and as it seems there is a bit of a traction vs. soil compaction debate raging anyways...

J_T

Egon you right powdered lead. Hate to need to lift that thing .Think it was in mining equipment tires.
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!