iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sleep apnea

Started by florida, August 14, 2017, 03:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florida

Raider Bill

I rinse my hose and mask out every morning with hot water. Once a week or so I wash the mask real well with antiseptic hand soap.  My first mask lasted a year but my pulmonologists hair stood on end when I told him that. He told me the reason they send you all those supplies is so you use clean ones! I use a new mask about every 60 days and a new hose every 5 or 6 months.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

petefrom bearswamp

the tech that set mine up said that remember the reservoir is like a big petri dish and needs to be cleaned weekly..
I clean mine once a week with dawn and very hot water as well as the tube and mask..
Let the tube drip dry.
I get a new set of mask and tube every 6 months and a new harness if needed. (insurance pays)
I saw that ad too Bill and have wondered about it.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Percy

I have a cpap machine. We call it the "Snork". I went with the nostril thing as opposed to the mask. Harder to get used to but less bacteria according to snork doctor. I use only distilled water in mine. Makes for less slime...
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Dave Shepard

Quote from: barbender on August 17, 2017, 02:35:01 PM
I've been using a CPAP for around 10 years, mostly for my wife's sake because I snore LOUD!! I don't feel a whole lot different whether I wear it or not, I don't think. I rarely get enough sleep so i'm always tired, anyways ::) I'm also around 275 pounds, should probably be at 230 or so (I'm 6'5"), it's kind of tough when I sit in a cab all day. But, I'm getting to the age (42) where I need to start taking my health more seriously. My Dad had his first heart attack when he was 47, his side is Native American and they have a lot of heart issues. They went from eating wild rice and venison (or starving) for thousands of years, the modern diet is pretty tough on them with cholesterol and lots of diabetes. My doctor wants to get me on cholesterol meds, I've been hesitant but it may be time. I can be very stubborn, I don't want my family to have to bury me before my time because of it.

If you can control your numbers with diet and exercise, you will be much better off. Medications are a double edged sword. They can keep you from dying suddenly, but they can also keep you just alive enough to keep paying for the meds. That's not much of a life.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Percy on August 22, 2017, 06:39:33 PM
I have a cpap machine. We call it the "Snork". I went with the nostril thing as opposed to the mask. Harder to get used to but less bacteria according to snork doctor. I use only distilled water in mine. Makes for less slime...

I didn't want to mess with a humidifier on my unit.  For the first week or two, I would blow my nose in the morning and produce a little blood.  Then all was good.  Only other time was when I went on a visit to AZ - the drier air there caused me to get a couple morning bloody noses.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DPatton

I have finally take the first steps in dealing with it!
After having lived with sleep apnea for years you guys have finally opened my eyes to just how serious and dangerous this condition is. I have all of the major symptoms and have been really suffering with a lack energy and stamina this past year.
I've also been putting my dear wife through the hell of living with my over the top snoring. God only knows how many nights she has lay awake worried and praying I would start breathing again.
Tonight I have brought home the "Home Test Kit" that will record my sleeping pattern and hopefully provide the information needed to start treating my condition.
Thanks to all of you for your input on this topic within this post. I now understand why I need treatment and how it has been affecting me more than I ever knew.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

ChugiakTinkerer

Good luck with the home test and hopefully with a long-term healthy sleep solution.  I started on a CPAP in 2001 and can't imagine trying to sleep without it.  It's my Magic Sleep Time machine.  I turn it on and I'm out within 5 minutes.  The new ones are so quiet.  My wife now has one and I cannot tell if she has it on, it is silent from across the room.  Well, at least to me.  I think my hearings going...  :D
Woodland Mills HM130

Raider Bill

I got a So-Clean machine. Bit pricey at$299 but  if it works all well worth it not to die from some mystery cootie.
Basically  you put your mask in close the hatch and it automatcally cleans over a 2 hour period. MAchine is set to start at 10am. This is changeable. There is a slight smell when you first put the mask on at night but it goes away. Smells like ozium, not unpleasent. Work soff activated charcoal.
Way I look at it, I've wasted more $$ on dumber things.
Time will tell.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

coxy

a few weeks ago the guy I work with in the winter had a seizer and when  it happened he ripped his shoulder joint through the socket so he ended up getting screws and a plate put in his doc told him sleep apnea will cause seizers in some people  :o :o he got tested but they didn't tell him whats whats yet they also told him they couldn't test him at home  I was told it was better to test at home in your own environment  so what is better home or hospital  my wife wants me to get tested also she says I my head is up on the pillows I'm fine but when it falls off I start gasping for air then some how I must wake my self up she says it happens 3-4 time a night  I only get 3-4 hours sleep been this way for about 10-12 years  I don't snore  sorry for the long post and jumping around 

51cub

coxy I'm going to say home is better. The one Dr kept wanting me to go to the hospital. I told him there was no sense. I can stay home and not sleep. The first time I tested I stopped breathing 105 times an hour. I'm on Autopap now. I can't say I get good quality sleep, but I don't get the headaches anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if they'll want you to test at the hospital, especially the first time, but I like it better at home
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

thecfarm

They had me all wired up when I went for the test. I was surprized the wires lasted the night.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DPatton

Ok, so the home test is the first step required by my insurance company. I did the home test in December as I previously posted and according to my Dr. I failed it miserably just like I expected. Because my results of the home test indicate a significant problem. The next step is to schedule an overnight stay study at the hospital.
Well gentlemen all I can say is plan to get put on a waiting list for this study as the first opening my hospital of choice had was not until mid April. By changing hospitals I was able to get it moved up to February 14th. I thought that date would be excellent as It would provide my dear wife of 23 years with the perfect Valentines gift of having the bed all to herself (LOL) and would alleviate me from having to buy her a Valentine's Day gift. Well today the hospital messed that all up as they called with an opening for me tomorrow night (Looks like I will have to buy a Valentine's Day gift after all).
  So tomorrow I will do the hospital sleep study and hopefully get the results I need to know what can be done to help me achieve good restful sleep. I will keep you posted on what I find out. I appreciate your input on the different types of machines. Especially if they are quite as I like my bedroom so quiet you can hear a pin drop and so dark you can't see your own hand in front of your face.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

D & S Sawmill Services

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DPatton on January 15, 2018, 06:05:16 PM
Especially if they are quite as I like my bedroom so quiet you can hear a pin drop and so dark you can't see your own hand in front of your face.
I like quiet and dark as well.  My late wife liked quiet as well.  The machines may be quiet but the air flow is not.  She liked the ocean and she said the air sounded like waves coming and going - just faint. 

My machine has an auto pressure adjust.  When you breath in, it boosts.  When I stop inhaling and during the exhale cycle, the pressure drops significantly so it is easier to exhale.  As soon as I hit the bottom of the exhale, the pressure boosts back to full.  So it has a rhythmic ocean sound - like those expensive white noise machines!

My machine has three buttons that are lit with a blue light.  Once the machine is "running", they dim a bit - but still too bright for me.  So I made a little paper cover that fits over the buttons to black it out at night.
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

DPatton

Sounds as if I'm likely going to have to get used to some noise and light from almost any breathing machine options out there  :(. I guess it will be an acceptable trade off if I am truly getting a good nights sleep for once.

D & S Sawmill Services

Ljohnsaw

Easy to black out the light.  You won't hear the noise - it soothes you to sleep.  And you will be in such a deep sleep, it won't wake you!
John Sawicky

DPatton

So I did the in hospital sleep study split test last night. I got settled in and the hospitals sleep technician provide a through explanation of what to expect along with hooking up all of the sleep study equipment.  I even took a photo of myself with all of the wires, cables, and hoses hooked up to me, but I'm telling ya it is not worthy of posting here on the forum so that all of you guys can poke fun at me. ;) (I've seen how you guys pick on the forum goat and I want no part of it) ;D ;D ;D.

Anyway within a few hours the technician determined that my problem was severe enough (having stopped breathing 83 times in one hour :o) that he could then proceed to put me on their C-Pap machine and test me for proper C-Pap air pressure settings. The C-Pap machines mask and hose at first was not to cumbersome and I was able to fall right back to sleep. However as the night went on and he tested through the range of different airflow or pressures it certainly became less comfortable and at times even claustrophobic to some degree. But I managed through the rest of the night with only a few interruption's either because of the mask or because of a sensor wire pulling loose. 

This morning the sleep tech was pleased with the recorded results and even said that according to his data my quality of sleep was vastly improved while wearing the C-Pap. He will pass his data information on to my General MD so that he could examine the results and prescribe the proper C-Pap information and setting for my C-Pap supplier.

Hopefully I can find a supplier who can fit me with a more comfortable setup then the one at the hospital. I hear that some people just can't get used to the whole mask and hose thing :-\ but I'm certainly going to give it my best shot if it helps me improve my quality of sleep. I'll let you know how it goes once I get my own setup.

D & S Sawmill Services

Roxie

I don't know why for the life of me they insist on torturing newly diagnosed people with the mask and head gear that is so uncomfortable and a hassle to get off and on.  NASAL PILLOWS have a soft head piece and your vision is 100% unobstructed.  You can even wear your glasses with them for those of us that love to drift off with a good book.

NASAL PILLOWS...don't take no for an answer. 
Say when

Raider Bill

Welcome to the CPAP club!!

Try to get nasal pillows. Simply a couple little do-dads that go on your nose and a head band.
Another thing I found that helps is to route your hose from above you. Just attach it to your head board as simply as you can.

Just read Roxies post. I too am a reader.

51cub

Here's hoping you get something that's nice and comfortable! It can be an awful frustrating thing to be so tired all the time
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Ljohnsaw

Wow, that sure sounds complicated.  My provider sent me home with a "learning" CPAP machine (looked just like the one they eventually gave me).  It was programmed monitor my sleep pattern (and let me have episodes) to see how bad.  Then it started adding pressure to figure out what I needed to sleep.  Took it back in the morning and the tech said he couldn't say if I needed a CPAP, the doctor had to look at the results.  But, he said if we call you today to make another appointment, you will be getting one - they did and I did.  That was 9 years ago.
John Sawicky

DPatton

Update,

As I said in post #40 I have been waiting for my Cpap from the medical supplier. My Dr's office tried working with three different suppliers before one would finally call them back and work with my insurance provider. So it took six weeks for me to get a machine. (If I did my job at this pace I would be looking for a new employer) but anyway I finally recieved it this past Tuesday and have been sleeping with it for a week now.

I took all the advise very seriously about nasal pillows. I insisted on trying them out along with several other styles of masks during my fitting and training  session. Turns out I felt the nasal pillows was the best fit for me, as all the other masks seemed to either make me feel claustrophobic, unable to exhale, or wouldn't seal around my facial hair. Now that said, my prescribed pressure setting is 11. from what I'm told this is at the higher end for nasal pillows to work properly and not loose their seal or blowout but so far so good.

So as I said I have been sleeping with this setup for a week now and I can say two things about the situation.
1, I have felt better rested since I started using the Cpap. I'm awake all day now and can stay awake while driving even at the end of the day. I don't have the constant drowsiness and headaches I was having. Those are all good things.
2, Sleeping with this machine isn't easy. It's really kind of a PITA to fill it with distilled water, and get used to the forced air this unit puts out. I also  got myself a mouth guard as using the nasal pillows requires one to keep your mouth closed all night. I found out this causes me to clinch and grind my teeth as I sleep. Although the nasal pillows were the most comfortable of the masks I tried I find the mask and tube less than convenient or comfortable to sleep with but seemingly a necessary evil for my sleep health.

Now enough with my little rant. I want to know how and what you guys are doing with your Cpaps.
Tell me how long did it take you other Cpap users to get used to and comfortable with your headgear, mask, and hose?
Tell me how, and how often are you cleaning your masks and hoses?
What you are cleaning them with?

Thanks in advance for your input.

D & S Sawmill Services

stanwelch

Glad you finally got your CPap equipment. I have a Resmed unit with humidifier and use a full face mask set at 12. I got mine about 3 years ago. I find the mask is quite comfortable and I get a new cushion every 3 months. Medicare will pay for one every month but I think that is too often. I clean the mask 2-3 times a week with soap and water. I replace the tubing 2 time a year. I use distilled water in the humidifier tank and that eliminates salt buildup. I replaced the humidifier tank last November for the first time. It took me a couple months to get used to the mask. The original mask was replaced with a new design which has two silicone seals. This mask I've had for over two years and like it a lot better 
I sleep about 6 hours a night instead of 8+ and am much better rested. 
Good luck with yours. Stick with it you can do it. 
Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: DPatton on March 06, 2018, 08:40:31 PMNow enough with my little rant. I want to know how and what you guys are doing with your Cpaps. Tell me how long did it take you other Cpap users to get used to and comfortable with your headgear, mask, and hose? Tell me how, and how often are you cleaning your masks and hoses? What you are cleaning them with?

I started with the face mask and I remember something about getting a sore on spot between my nostrils.  After a couple months I switched to nasal pillows.  That took a week or two for "calluses" to build up so I didn't get sores above my upper lip where the pillows rested.  I don't use a humidifier even though it is dry here.  I toughed it out for a few weeks with occasional bloody nose in the mornings.  I didn't want the hassle of having to clean the humidifier all the time.  I'll admit that I NEVER have cleaned my unit in 9 years.  I have a pretty high tolerance to infection, I think.  I usually only get one cold a year.  I change the hose about every six months along with the head gear.  The pillows I change when they no longer seal, about every 2 months.  The air filter I flick the dust out of it when I remember - a few times a year.  I got used to the hose in a couple nights.  The only real issue is I'm in a really deep sleep, I sometimes will have the hose between my forehead or the side of my face and my pillow.  I'll wake up with a very deep impression of a Slinky in my skin that takes an hour or two to go away.:D
John Sawicky

Raider Bill

petefrom bearswamp

My relationship with my CPAP is love hate.
I have facial hair and the seal isnt a problem for me.
I use the full mask and tried the nasal one but it didnt work well.
I clean mine every Sunday morning when I am home.
Distilled water is a must.
I have a four poster bed and loop the hose around the nearest post which works very well for me.
I use heated tubing as we keep the bedroom cool to cold and I would get condensation in the tube and it would gurgle.
I do sleep better over all but after about 5-6 hrs I start getting leaks around the mask, surprisingly not where I have hair but next to my nose.
I also get tickling in that area which wakes me up the reason for this is a mystery.
Overall I like the setup.
My insurance allows new mask, harness, filter and tubing every 6 months.
I always get a new mask and filter but not the tubing.
I have also tried a couple of other miracle options, as seen on TV,  but they dont work.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Thank You Sponsors!