iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily Fabrication Thread

Started by mike_belben, January 29, 2018, 09:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puffergas

Thanks. I like the video. Those Everlast looks nice. Been thinking about buying a cheap-oh stick inverter welder. But Everlast makes one with a lower duty cycle but lift start and a 6010 mode for about twice the price of a cheap-oh. Welders sure have changed a lot since I bought my Lincoln buzz box back in 1981. Now a days some people say not to buy a welder that will last a life time because you will miss out on the new technology. Beats me.....
Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

luvmexfood

Quote from: Grandpa on May 09, 2018, 09:58:50 AM
Skeans1, how do you like the Everlast? I recently got a 251si and really like it but worry about the lifespan of a welder with a computer in it.
I have had a basic Everlast Stick Welder for about 4 years now. Just use it to patch up farm equipment. Does the trick for that.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Skeans1

I've had good luck with the two Everlast machines I have my only complaint is the fan but at least you know it's on.

One issue with a synchrowave is the power it takes to run the big girls or even a 200 synchrowave, it's like running my shop master 300 they're power hungry and we were told parts for both will be discontinued.

mike_belben

Yeah there are definitely obsolete parts from miller, but im told aftermarket stuff has sprung up to cover most of it.  
Praise The Lord

mike_belben

I still have to fix my winch, but i finally got the back rack and screen welded on.  Its streetsign post and chopped up pallet rack decking.  Holds all my chokers and keeps the hoses from getting chomped, which was the real issue.  

This turd of a machine has pushed out more than 20 triaxles of free fill the past month.  Ive gotten over 60 dumped and just cant get time for fixing the dozer, 630am sometimes theres 3 trucks idling in the road while i try to make room.  

Yard should be big enough for a machine shop and a sawmill by the time i get it all spread.  
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Th last Chrome update fixed it so I can upload photos again. This is the start of the oil tank from two or three weeks ago. It is raining cats a dogs today so I will be able make more progress.

Good thing I uploaded this photo because I forgot about the filter!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

scsmith42

We're building some new hay and air drying barns on the farm this year, and I wanted a platform for aerial work.  This is what we came up with.  We started with a 10' long pallet and fabricated a metal support structure for it.

Braces were added to increase it's stability, and then we added a safety railing around it along with a ladder.  

In a few minutes I'm going to go out and wrap up the welding.  I need to add a second set of fork pockets below the ones already on it.  It's currently set up for my backhoe forks, but I want to have the option of using the big loader as well.

With all of the braces it is very stable.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

JesseA

Picking away at this project since I got back onto day shift. I make the rings in a coil, usually 4 turns deep.  The first turn is usually a throw away because it's nowhere near round.  These are bent cold with very primitive equipment, I'll get pictures of that tomorrow.

When I get material they'll get four 1/4 x 1inch wide 3/4 tall grousers each.  

mike_belben

Im surprised you were able to get them that round with cold rolling.  Pretty good.  

Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Hydraulic tank installed. Just need a few more fittings. The fill port moved on me when I was playing TIG welder. I'll say that I designed it that way to give the capstan drum more room....

Jeff

JesseA

Mike, this is the rebar roller/coiler

Here's the results

Works pretty good!

mike_belben

Yeah thats pretty slick jesse.  Will have to store that in my noggin for some other day. 
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Another way to get rings is to get coil springs from the junkyard. Already round, and high carbon steel.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_belben

The problem is when you weld the lugs and chains on theyll crack off at the weld.  Spring steel has too much carbon for backyard weldments.  Needs annealing and preheat/post heat for long term good results.
Praise The Lord

Dave Shepard

Or Stulz Manganese XL rods, but they are pricey. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bushmechanic

Your exactly right on the welding there Mike. I tried to weld some half links to a proper ring chain once, looked like a great job but didn't last diddly squat when it hit the woods! Now if I was to do it again I would weld the link around the ring and have it floating, live and learn, like my old man says " everyday is a school day". JesseA are you going to put some teeth on those rings?

JesseA

That's my plan, make some 3/4 inch tall grousers out of some 1 1/4 flat bar, 4 per ring, hope everything holds together.  I'm a little worried that everything is going to rip off the rebar.  

Crusarius

I would be very concerned about the rebar. it is soft and flexible I would be alot happier using hot or cold rolled.

Rebar is intended to be encapsulated in concrete and resisting tension and compression.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Crusarius

I really hope it works out for you. what I would think about doing is putting some pink landscapers tape on some of the pieces so if it falls off its easier to find :)

JesseA

I'm sure that when the rings break they'll be easy to find, they'll probably be stabbed into the tires! 

Either way, this was a good proof test for my method.  

Satamax

Quote from: Puffergas on May 09, 2018, 08:41:13 PM
Thanks. I like the video. Those Everlast looks nice. Been thinking about buying a cheap-oh stick inverter welder. But Everlast makes one with a lower duty cycle but lift start and a 6010 mode for about twice the price of a cheap-oh. Welders sure have changed a lot since I bought my Lincoln buzz box back in 1981. Now a days some people say not to buy a welder that will last a life time because you will miss out on the new technology. Beats me.....
Hey Puffergas, if you are shoping for an inverted welder. I just bought this one
 https://www.amazon.com/ZOJAN-Welding-Machine-Portable-Soldering/dp/B077G7P71L
Not as powerfull as my previous IGBT one which is still alive. 
I just bought this because of extreme portability. 

Don't know if it will last as much as the other Chinese one. But for 100 bucks, i'm not too worried! 
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

DDDfarmer

welded 5/8 rebar as grousers on the D6, been using it clearing land and the stumps and rocks havn't bothered yet.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

mike_belben

Rebar is my regrousing plan too.  
Praise The Lord

Puffergas

Satamax, that is an amazingly small welder! One idea I have for one of them is a remote foot amp adjuster, for TIG. Could bypass the adjustment pot with one in the homemade foot control or use a lite cable from the foot control to the adjustment pot/knob on the welder. Don't feel too bad about hacking a cheap (but nice) welder.
Jeff

Thank You Sponsors!