iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Table - Ideas Needed

Started by Ianab, August 01, 2005, 07:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

All this talk of nice slabs of wood reminded me of an uncompleted project  ::)

A new kitchen table.

This is what I have so far...

I will probably trim the slab up into 2 rectangular table tops as the sapwood has started to rot. (the tree lay on the ground a couple of years before it was sawn  :( ) Slab is about 3 " thick, so table design needs to be .. ummm.. solid. Kitchen is being redecorated now with cottage type cupboards and some partial shiplap timber panelling, so a rustic style trestle table will fit in.
I just need some more inspiration  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

Just a question. Isn't 3" a little thick for a table ???  Down here, we sell 3" and up for Mantles ??? 

I have always liked Trestle Tables. I have seen darker "Breadboard" ends, to accent the color of the tables. Also, the natural edge is really catching on here.  Ed showed a customer how to create a natural edge, where we had to trim the original away to saw the wide log. Customer was tickled.

Nice slab, Ian. Macrocarpa ??
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

pigman

Like Rodney, I like trestle for thick table tops.  The removable trestle makes it easier to move the table. This maple table I built for my daughter is not a slab but I think a base like it would look good under a slab. You could use a contrasting wood for the base or the same wood. The fasteners under the top must allow for movement of the slab.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ianab

Yup Harold, Macrocarpa Cypress, just a little one  ;) :D
3" is probably a little excessive, but thats what I've got.

Bob
Thanks for that pic, yes thats the sort of thing I have in mind. I've got several smaller 2" thick slabs that I can use for the ends and I had decided it will have to be easy to dismantle. (I'll have to assemble it after it's bought inside anyway)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ohsoloco

Pigman, that's a nice table  :)  What kind of joinery did you use to attach the "feet" to the table sides, it looks like you have a cross-grain situation there  ???

CHARLIE

Ianab, here is a link to some free woodworking plans.  Select 'T' for table or maybe 'D' for Dining.  There is also a selection for tables.  I use it sometimes for plans and sometimes just for ideas.  It's fun to look through though and you might find it of some use. :)

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=102
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

pigman

Quote from: ohsoloco on August 01, 2005, 05:31:46 PM
Pigman,  What kind of joinery did you use to attach the "feet" to the table sides, it looks like you have a cross-grain situation there ???
The ends have a tendon in the middle that fits in a mortice in the horizontal feet. The tendon is only glued in the center 4 inches and the mortice is 1/2 inch longer than the width of the tendon.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

ARKANSAWYER

If it is 3 inches thick put it on the band mill and bust it in half and book match the top.
ARKANSAWYER

Ianab

QuoteIf it is 3 inches thick put it on the band mill and bust it in half and book match the top

Yeah.. except it's already 3 to 4 ft wide  :D
Yeah I know.. make 2 tables... just need to find a 48" bandsaw now. :D

Thanks for the idea though :)

Larry

Started on the third one for this year.  This one is butcher block style in red oak.  The templets for the leg's are laying on the top.  I spend more time doodling on paper to get the proportions right than I do on anything else.

Looks like Bob the table maker, ;D got the proportions right on his table...think I might make me a new templet for my next table. 8)  Impressed with Arky's table also...what kind of wood is it? :)

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!