iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clerestory Window framing question

Started by mmhailey, May 19, 2011, 11:07:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhailey

I recently received my annual edition of Fine Homebuildings " Houses". Here is a link to the free pdf file of the article: http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021219038.pdf

In the article is a very nice frame with a Clerestory Window framed into a King Post truss. Could someone give me an idea on how that joint might be accomplished? I just cut a King Post using 8X8s which appear to be what this frame is made of, and using 2" tenons for the rafters joining the King Post. How would you join the the timber for the Clerestory roof line to the King Post and rafter?

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and turn him into a liar.

Jim_Rogers

First of all we know what is hidden. We can't assume that there is a tenon from the lower rafter into the top of the king post. There could be a bolt going through the king into the other lower rafter. There maybe some tenons there.

Again we can't assume that there is a tenon going from the upper rafter to the lower rafter. It could be bolted or screwed down.

If it were me and I wanted to do more with tenons, I might do something like this:

Not sure, but that may work.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Thank You Sponsors!