iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying in without SIP's?

Started by TGS, June 06, 2011, 06:20:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGS

Timber framing would be right down my alley and i'm itching to build a few sheds to ease into it.  The single biggest problem for me is how to dry in a frame without using SIP's or losing the timbers inside the structure with internal studding.  Is there another alternative? Timber framing is not done around here and SIP's would need to be trucked in, adding to their already high cost. Has anyone built up their own non-structural panels? Or maybe layered up the covering from the inside out?  I'm just trying to find an alternative to SIP's - oh, and no hippy stuff with straw and clay and all that crap.  :)

Thanks!

PC-Urban-Sawyer

If you don't want to stick frame it your choices are wrap and strap or panels. Some have built their own panels. Hopefully someone with real experience will chime in here soon.

Raider Bill

No Hippy Stuff!  That cracked me up! :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jim_Rogers

TGS:
Welcome to the forum. I think the wrap and strap method will be what you want to use to enclose your frames, if these sheds are going to be heated and you need insulation. Normally sheds are just covered with siding over the frames as they aren't usually heated and need insulation.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logmason

Board and batten siding. If batts are green I only nail one side.

witterbound

Regular stick frame wall around the frame. 

shinnlinger

Look in my gallery, I have "nailers" between the posts of my barn w B&b and my house is has a conventional stud frame outside the posts. You need to plan your foundation/frame to do this ahead of time, but it is not hard.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

frwinks

here are a few pics of a modified REMOTE wall system I installed.  It went up quick, only required two people (and a tractor) to install, and no hippie business... all @ a fraction of the cost of sips.

bic

I'm planning on log infill 6"x8" between the posts.
LT 28 Woodmizer
where there's a mill there's a way

Thank You Sponsors!