iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raise, sheath, then insulate

Started by addicted, June 06, 2011, 04:19:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Here is a challenge for the experts.
How would one raise a barn/garage/shed, quickly enclose it for use as a workshop for a year then later try to insulate it? Without of course tearing the roof off.  Cathedral ceiling with a 2' knee wall.
Rusty

Jim_Rogers

Well, if you don't want to tear the roof off then don't. You could lay the two or more layers of 2" rigid insulation right on the one year old roofing, strap it off, and re-roof. Of course that means you'll buy two roofs.

I'd make the first roof something cheap and easy like some roll roofing, and make the second roof a long lasting roof.

As far as the walls go just put up some siding for the enclosing and then later on wrap and strap the outside and then when you're in the barn/garage/shed and you look at the wall you'll see nice barn board. But it will be insulated outside of that. This is a very common way of doing things.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

witterbound

If you don't want the rafters to show from below, can you spray in foam insulation above your head like this??

addicted

Thanks guys
Roll roofing and barn board sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again
Rusty

VictorH

Another roofing idea would be to use synthetic underlayment.  Some of it is rated to be exposed for a year with no shingles on it.  It would be cheaper than rolled roofing, comes in 4' wide rolls.

Brad_bb

Now if you go this route, but don't actually get it redone in a year, it will start looking like hillbilly land...before you know it, they'll be moss growing out of the roof...
In a perfect world it seems like it would work, but how much more work/time would it take to just finish it in proper right off the bat?  I guess it depends on how well you work in parallel and how well you can estimate your time and energy as opposed to having to work linearly.  Will you have any helpers?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!