iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

"New Site" Building a Sawmilling Enterprise

Started by Meadows Miller, September 15, 2012, 04:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meadows Miller

Gday

Give Me Time Mate  :) ;) :D Rob aka Wilddog Your rite for a palce to stay too  Mate  ;D But I think you and I will be meeting sooner rather than later as that other little project I have planned that we where talking about is working out at $30+ bucks a M3 more profitable landed in Melbourne with more choice over My log supply Mate  ;) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Meadows Miller

Gday

Just an Update after thinking it was not going to come together before christmass in the last week finnally got the Lease Signed , Electical cleaned up and the Power went on today  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Now we just have to get Excalibur my new to me relocatable into position with no stuffups or delays on on thursday or friday morning and the power hooked upto it from the main board to its switch board and logs coming in the yard n sawn timber out finnally  ;) ;D 8)

Im liking having afew weeks to run it back in and nut out any bugs and fix a couple of things  ;)

pics to come tonight but my nets running slow atm   ::) ::)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Gday

Heres the pics She's a 2002 model Laimet 130 Sawmill from Finland Mounted onto a 60' twin beam single row of eight with fold out log deck & green chain. tipping the scales at 10 ton or roughly 22000lbs and is 10' wide and 14' high in tow mode  ;)

All electric/hyd controls , 150hp on main saw and is running 48 & 52 inch saws with digital analog setworks  ;)

Log Capacity is 30' long by 2'6" dia atm but there are plans to whack a Topsaw on later on  and take it upto doing  a touch over 3' foot easy ;)  smallest log i have done on one was 4" top dia and the shortest i have sawn on one was 4' long  ;)

What do you reckon guys  ???

Regards Chris

Leigh Family Farm

That looks like the best mobile meat cutter I've ever seen! So what are you gonna use for a samill?  ;) :D
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

captain_crunch

All I can say is WOW Dream come true 8) 8) 8) Wonder how long it would take me to paddle rubber raft to Oz from Oregon ??? :P :P ???
The gaurd over saw really has my attention that looks like a great Idea wonder if it would still work a little higher beings I have a habbit of doing this

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

JustinW_NZ

Wow, that thing looks insane
I think i could park it here and feed it pine all day long and end up with a stack of timber!

Keen to see a video of that thing running :)

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Meadows Miller

Kil I haven't finalized that plan yet Mate  :) ??? :P  ;) :D :D Brian there is 14000 acres of mature Hardwood and Pine  Plantation with more to come to feed this New Mill at Seymour so there will be the Meadows (Pine) & Laimet (H/wood) working in tandem prob by before the end of next year. and yet another job coming up with 8 to 12million bft a year coming up in pine but thats another project in its self now and if i want to do it at the end of the day is yet to be decided Mate  :) :)  ;)

Brian Crunch Im thinking Wow too Mate as i got home thinkin everything had gone to hell in a hand basket only 5 months ago and Business wise everything is just  clicking into place  :o :) :) ;D 8) & If you and missus crunch wanna come over n you want to do abit of sawing I might just save you the boat trip Mate ;) ;)

Justin they are like me abit of a handful but once you get use to them you can knock out some serious production numbers Mate  ;) ;D

my best day doing dimension timber 1&2x was was over 25 cube (sawn with someone lumping and one loading logs and floating  ;) ) doing Hardwood Posts and Pine export squares you can hit 30-35m3 12750 to 14800 bft reasonably easy with alot of boards of the sides depending on the logs  ;)

Average sort of production in good pine with a good sawyer & stacker is to expect 10 to 15m3 (4250 to 6375bft) sawn in 8 hrs  in 8" to 24" logs and 10' to 20' footers are a nice sawing length which is all im aiming for its a nice figure when you can do that with two of you day in day out  ;)  ;D ;D I use to also saw around 4000 a day on my lonesome in pine on a 130 Laimet and thats not bad for a 1 Man Mill but you are pushing yourself hard at that mark and get a bloody good nights sleep too  ;) :D

I like this mill because I can run it either on my own or with 1 or 2 helpers i have afew young blokes now who wants to work with me and they have all been told if they want to rock up to work when they want to thats fine but keep in mind if they come late as i can pile that green chain for the 12' and over 2' deep which makes the work alot bloody harder  ;) of course i would not do that to myself  :) :D :D

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Brian that guard you will notice has chains holding it up and the angles front and back are designed so that it will ride up on a log there is usually a leaver bar with another chain that you can pull and it will lift it rite up to clear the front of a biggun  ;) 

On the flasher models fitted with the top saw at the factory a hyd leaver will lower the topsaw and swing the hood rite out of the way at the same time  ;)

Your version of the top saw looks very similar the the one i have had for years too mate  ;) :D ;D ;D smiley_thumbsup

Regards Chris

sparky

Chris,

Your new location and sawmill are very impresive! That site has a lot of potential. Where exactly is it located? I believe that you said it was near Melbourne. Is it anywhere near where we traveled when I stopped by in 2009? I only wish the flight there was about 15 hours shorter!

Merry Christmas,
Will
I'tnl 2050 with Prentrice 110, Custom built 48" left-hand circular and 52" Bellsaw right-hand circular mills, Jonsered 2171, Stihl 084, and too many other chainsaws. John Deere 3020 and Oliver 1800 with FELs. 20" 4-sided planer and misc.

schakey

smiley_applause Good for you Chris,all of us will be pulling for you  smiley_sun
:christmas:
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Meadows Miller

Gday

Thanks Will Its been a long hard road and there is still plenty of hard yards to go but its coming together  ;) ;D ;D

I think We drove within 300 odd yards  of this mill on you whilwind tour of Victoria Its at Seymour the town alittle bigger then Heathcote and about 30 mile away from home and about the same where the big fires hit in the hills Mate  ;)

Your Welcome back anytime let me get the new dovetail office/residence built ;D the converted 20'container office would be alittle rough to keep guests in atm   :o  ::)  :laugh: :laugh:

Have a  :christmas: to you and your family and thanks again for taking the time to show me round your home turf in Mn Mate  ;) ;D ;D ;D

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Quote from: schakey on December 20, 2012, 04:21:28 AM
smiley_applause Good for you Chris,all of us will be pulling for you  smiley_sun
:christmas:

Thanks Schakey I wish you and yours a  :christmas: and a great start to the new year to Mate  :) :) :)

Regards Chris

Meadows Miller

Gday

There has been a bit of a slight delay on getting the mill on site but its not far off  I can almost tase the sawdust ;) :) :)

harrymontana

Quote from: Meadows Miller on December 18, 2012, 06:12:22 AM
Gday

Heres the pics She's a 2002 model Laimet 130 Sawmill from Finland Mounted onto a 60' twin beam single row of eight with fold out log deck & green chain. tipping the scales at 10 ton or roughly 22000lbs and is 10' wide and 14' high in tow mode  ;)

All electric/hyd controls , 150hp on main saw and is running 48 & 52 inch saws with digital analog setworks  ;)

Log Capacity is 30' long by 2'6" dia atm but there are plans to whack a Topsaw on later on  and take it upto doing  a touch over 3' foot easy ;)  smallest log i have done on one was 4" top dia and the shortest i have sawn on one was 4' long  ;)

What do you reckon guys  ???

Regards Chris

Dear Chris,
I read you blade is max 52 diameter, so your log max is 26" (= 65cm), is this correct?
Why not use a bandsaw, or is this cheaper/ more economic to handle, what are your pros and cons using a circle saw vs a band saw?
Harry
everything on hardwood

clww

That machine looks to be a monster, Chris! 8)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Meadows Miller

Gday

Harry these sawmill will do a 24" log with a 44" saw, a 26" log on a 48"saw and you can force the point on a 30" log on a 52" saw after that you really need to have the chainsaw handy  ;)  :D thats why this mills getting A Bar Topsaw using the Hyd saw motor and new 20" bar of a harvester head  ;) then ill be able to thump a 40" log though if I want to  ;)

I would take a circular mill over a bandmill any day more productive and alot less hassel to maintain and operate and more forgiving when your training new operators to become Sawyers Mate

How do you go with your band Maint overthere where you are working i see your running a 7" band headrig  ??? thats another thing you spend alot of time and effort doing a band comaired to a circ compaired to the production you see back out of them  ;)

Rgards Chris

Meadows Miller

Quote from: clww on December 27, 2012, 05:29:55 PM
That machine looks to be a monster, Chris! 8)

It is and I like it Mate  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!