iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TimberJack Maintainence Post

Started by northmaine3, November 13, 2012, 07:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northmaine3

I read a post on here a while back that included a checklist that one should follow when buying a used TimberJack. I recently bought a 208E cable skidder and would like to go through the machine and make sure that it's ready to yard wood. I can't find the post using the forum search. If someone could direct me to the post or provide me with a new checklist, I would appreciate it. I have mostly run John Deere. This is my first TJ. Thanks for any help.

240b

is it a super E ?  is the reverser in the transfer case or in front of the tranny?  8 lug axles?  start by draining all the oil and looking for metal in each compartment.  what is the motor?  I've got a manual for a D model.

thecfarm

northmaine3,welcome to the forum. What town you live in?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

northmaine3

Hello 240b
The reverser is on the transfer case. The lever is right next to the hi-lo lever and the axles are 8 lug. It has a 3-53 Detroit. What's the difference between an E and a SuperE? I bought a 200 E series operators manual from John Deere, it's pricey paper. It's bin sitting for over a year but it started on it's own.

Hello cfarm
I live in Littleton just north of Houlton.

240b

change the oil in each compartment. look for metal etc..
change all filters (hyd in tank)
oil in coolant? hopefully not.
check for leaking oil on clutch side of winch.
oil for eaton winch-- one bottle stp top off with gear oil.
slack in walking beam-- shim with brass washers
check center bushings-- replace if any movement
  "     rubber or steel bump stops (prevents steering cylinder from over extding.)
  "      for crack on top of walking beam over rear pin.
   "    axle gripes(bolts)
   "    wheel nuts
   "    drive shift pillow block bearing behind transmission. also bearing on lower front driveshaft (lower should                    have grease fitting.)
   "     fan hub bolts
   "    coupler for play between motor and hyd pump (key on pump shaft)  (unless pump is on motor)
   "    adj brakes make sure little rubber boots are on brake housings (were actuation shaft goes in) if missing I'd
        pull brakes apart and clean/ rebuild. It is way easier to pull the transfer case out to do the brake job. It is not bad to pull the transfer case..
   "    general leaks, reseal regasket.
   "    winch drum drag adj.  pull off winch clean spring under shoe. emery cloth drum were shoe engages.
        Build rubber cover out of innertube to cover drum on gear side(keeps ice off of drum so drag is not erradtic) 
    check bell housing bolts
     adj clutch
     check bushing on tube end of steering cylinder (really hard to see)
     cover battery terminals with rubber (piece of mudflap)
     clean radiator fins
those are the things which come to mind right off.. sorry no order just what popped into my head. I'll probably think of a dozen more things later( which are more important)

Thank You Sponsors!