iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help ID old barn log/lumber UPDATED END GRAIN PIC

Started by 123maxbars, January 15, 2017, 01:53:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I have spoken with a few sawyers on and off this board and wanted to get some more opinions.  This is some lumber from some old barn logs that were brought to my mill to be sawed into lumber. The customer (whom I am not doubting) thinks they are old chestnut logs from the barn he took down. He said all the siding was chestnut.  The barn was taken down in east TN.  He build custom furniture out of chestnut and is usually spot on.  The end grain does not show any medullary rays either.  He said this is pre blight chestnut logs. The logs are all around 8 to 11in in diam. Very small trees when they were harvested.  The light color has me being skeptical. What you your thoughts? Thanks for any comments in advance.

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

kelLOGg

Looks like pine to me. The odor of freshly sawn old pine should be telltale.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Don P

Your friend may well be right. I've seen chestnut that looked like that.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

If that is Chestnut, I have a lot of Pine that looks just like it.
But thinking of you I hope it is Chestnut.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ox

Looks kinda like hemlock.  Been many years since I've milled any so my memory is probably lacking...  Does hemlock even grow in TN?
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

1ruralmailman

my thoughts are hemlock as well.whats the weight usually hemlock would seem light in old stock as compared to chestnut.

Brad_bb

I've not come across chestnut that I have id'd.  I've been told it looks like white oak but if you look at the end grain you will not see the rays radiating our from the center like you do in white oak.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Nomad

I resaw a lot of wood from old barns in that area.  Looks like the pine I get to me.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Hewer of Wood

I have very little experience with some of the yellow pines so can't really speak to that, but it looks like it could be ash. The very little chestnut I've handled was darker, and much less dense than ash.
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

VTwoodworker

I think it is most likely chestnut.  I always think it looks like a combination of ash and butternut.  The chestnut timber harvested after the blight I think is often darkened from standing dead and bug infestation.  I don't have any experience resawing chestnut - wish I did. 

nativewolf

Might I suggest moving this to the section of the forum that helps people with tree ID?  WDH is a moderator there that seems to be top notch. 

That said, just slice a bit of end grain off.  Pine and other conifers will have resin tubes, can't miss them.  Chestnut will have a very distinctive end grain appearance and you can google it to veryify.  Truly tree end grains are very very telling in most cases and you can almost always get the right family if nothing else. 
Liking Walnut

123maxbars

I am sure it is not pine, I finished up the timber today and I think it is pre blight chestnut. Smells a lot like oak. I have attached a pic of the end grain also.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Peter Drouin

At the end grain Look at the holes/ veins if it's  tear drop shape it's Chestnut. Round is something else.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

qbilder

My vote is chestnut. Lots of chestnut structures in that area and the wood in your pics looks exactly like chestnut. If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck.......
God bless our troops

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don P

QuoteTyloses

a blister-like protrusion of xylem parenchymal cells that obstruct the vessels or, less commonly, the tracheids. Tyloses form when the closing membrane of a pit grows into the lumen of a vessel. The cytoplasm and, sometimes, the nucleus of the cell move into the protrusion, which is not separated by a septum from the mother cell. Tyloses may be filled with starch, calcium salts, resin, or gum. Although they are most characteristic of woody plants, they also occur in herbaceous plants, such as pumpkin, purslane, and dock. Tyloses lower the water-retaining capacity of the heartwood and increase resistance to rotting and penetration by fungi. The formation of tyloses is sometimes a response to injury.

Calcium oxalate crystals, I did not know that... is that the culprit?

Thank You Sponsors!