iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Never too old to learn

Started by pineywoods, December 17, 2006, 08:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

I've been around chain saws since the early 50's  (Anybody remember I E L ?) Just found the forestry forum a couple of months ago, have learned a bunch here, thanks fellas.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

You are most welcome, glad to have you aboard.  8) There is a lot of experience sittin' around this campfire.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ianab

Not old enough to remember IEL, but I do know what they are  ;D

Some even made it to NZ

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Grandfather had one of the first chainsaws around these parts. He had to get it in Connecticut I believe. It was a heavy arc and you didn't tote it around in the bush like the saws we have now. It was more for bucking to length on a yard. I never did see it, so I can't describe it. Way before my time. I only know about it because of what uncle told me.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

pineywoods

Thanks for the pix Ianab. brings back a lot of memories. Not surprised the IEL's made it to NZ. IEL was a canadian company, I think based in Vancouver BC. That red machine in your pix was a real beast. twin cylinders, ran a 20-1 mix of gasoline and outboard motor oil. The crankshaft ran fore and aft, drove the chain through a set of spur gears. You could pull a pin and rotate the bar and drive housing 90 deg. for felling without laying the powerhead up on a side.  Had about a 30 inch bar with a handle on the outboard end. Definitely required 2 good men to handle them, probably weighed 25 KG . Their weakness was a small plastic disk instead of metal reeds for intake valves. They'd last about a week in the woods. IEL also made a smaller single cylinder 1 man saw.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!