Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

You would think by now I would know better
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Brad_bb

I did it this week too cutting stickers.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Ocklawahaboy

So far, I have only hit one tooth on mill metal.    Just one, knock on wood.

acrosteve

Me too, fresh blade made it hurt even worse.  Just the 2nd pass with it.
Timberking B-20

POSTON WIDEHEAD

....it depends. Are you a metal worker and found a piece of wood or are you a wood worker and found a piece of metal?......asked the Goat.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

goose63

Goat if I could weld wood I would make a DanG good wood worker 

I did fing some good looking pine
goose

East ky logging

Yea my woodmizer will cut about anything but the backstops and believe me I've tried several times
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety- Benjamin Franklin

Magicman

We can all chuckle when someone else does it....[spoiler]because our time is coming...AGAIN.[/spoiler]
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

goose63

goose

rooster 58

Yup. This past Thursday I scalped a back support.  I looked first and said that'll make it. But no dice

fishfighter

Quote from: rooster 58 on May 09, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
Yup. This past Thursday I scalped a back support.  I looked first and said that'll make it. But no dice

Did that twice. Talk about wanting to bang my head on a tree. ;D

Magicman

And if you bang the front side, it will not have any teeth either.   ::)  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ocklawahaboy

Some day they will make a mill where the stops and blade height are coordinated so that doesn't happen.

Magicman

I believe that EZ Boardwalk has a device that will not allow the blade to hit the sawmill.  Someone chime in and correct me or verify this.

UN Hooker

I could see this happening to me, so last weekend while waiting for some paint to dry between coats, I added another mod to the LT-15.    ;D    UN

Retired Toolmaker/Moldmaker
C-4 & C5D TF - 5500 Iron Mule - Restored 4400 Ford Ind. FEL ex Backhoe w/custom built boom w/Valby 360* grapple w/18' reach - 920 Cat w/bucket & forks w/clamp - Peterson 10" WPF - LT-15 - Cooks Catsclaw & Dual tooth setter - many Husky saws

gimpy

I'm a newbie but haven't tried to saw metal, YET. However, I did find out what happens when you saw a log before you put tension on the blade. I've also found out why you want to open the gas can vent. Same with the water bottle vent. Slowly but surely I'm learning some procedures one needs to learn before they start doing the work.

But I am putting sawdust on the ground and having a blast doing it. Just got another load of logs today.
Gimpy old man
Lucky to have a great wife
John Deere 210LE tractor w/Gannon Box

thecfarm

I have a Thomas and my log stops go straight up and down. I marked mine with inch marks,4 inches is really 3½ and 6 is 5½ and so on. That gives me a ½ inch to clear them works out great now. But I was cutting flitches at 6 inches and saw a bad spot that I did not notice when I set them up and dropped down to 4 inches and started to saw.  :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

Jack: Hello, my name is Jack.
Sawyers: Hello Jack.
Jack: I went 18 months without hitting my mill. Then, two weeks ago, I brushed the top of a stop, and milled straight into the short clamp extension.
Lead Sawyer: And how did that make you feel Jack?
Jack: I didn't like it. I don't want to do it again.
Jack: I haven't hit metal in 14 days.......

::)

Nomad

Ooooh, no.  I've never done anything like that! ::) :D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

fishfighter

Quote from: thecfarm on May 10, 2015, 05:59:05 AM
I have a Thomas and my log stops go straight up and down. I marked mine with inch marks,4 inches is really 3½ and 6 is 5½ and so on. That gives me a ½ inch to clear them works out great now. But I was cutting flitches at 6 inches and saw a bad spot that I did not notice when I set them up and dropped down to 4 inches and started to saw.  :o

Can't see that far anymore. :D

zopi

Still better than a fence insulator.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Ox

If it's any consolation for anybody I sawed into my backstop the second day I used my new homebuilt mill.
It's now been another two days.
I'm feeling jittery.
:-X
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Don_Papenburg

Make them backstops outa wood
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

gww

Mine are actually wood and I sawed through one today.  Knew I was going to do it but I was to lazy to bang it down with a hammer while halfway through a cut.  The wood is easy to replace.

When I had guides on the guide would hit them and not let me go forward if they where to high.  Same thing with knotts.  I have to have a clean log at the backstop or I have to make my first cut in the middle of the deck and then turn it to the back stop. 

I had metal that I was going to use but never got it cut down to the correct size cause using ripped 2x4s ended up being so easy.

Cheers
gww

Ox

Heck, if you're gentle I can see easily replaceable wooden backstops being the cat's pajamas!
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!