iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Barn Raising...

Started by Brian_Weekley, August 22, 2013, 10:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giant splinter

The slideshow is very well done, just as the raising was done and you have a super nice shop/barn to keep things out of the weather for the winter.
Nice work Brian and a great working team you have put together with a structure that will last a lifetime.
One question ( Who's music was that in your slideshow/Love that stuff and would like to find an album. )
roll with it

grweldon

My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

thecfarm

Quote from: Brian_Weekley on September 08, 2013, 06:26:44 PM
Why is it that things always take longer than I think it should?  I didn't get as far along as I had hoped

I thought I was the only one that had that problem???  :D  All the hard work and time that you and the others did look great.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

AK Newbie

Clearly a lot of dreaming, planning, and executing took place for you to get to this point!  A beautifully built timber frame structure coming to fruition!  Congratulations and thanks for sharing the journey it is truly inspirational!
Kevin
LT28, Logosol M7, Husky 385XP, Stihl MS 250, Echo

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: giant splinter on September 14, 2013, 12:41:05 AM
One question (Who's music was that in your slideshow/Love that stuff and would like to find an album.)

GS, I wish I could tell you.  I used Apple's iPhoto to make the slideshow on my Mac.  The program includes about 10 different built-in music choices you could select to add to your slideshow.  All I know is that it was called "River Walk".  Unfortunately, I don't know who the artist is.  It was rather short in length and just repeats through the slideshow.
e aho laula

WmFritz

Brian- that project is something to be very proud of. Nice shed and nice pictures. smiley_beertoast

All those smiling faces are priceless.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

justallan1

Nice job and thanks for all of the pictures.

Allan

JohnM

Well phooey! >:(  Just found this thread through another that Dennis posted it on.  I totally would have come down for a day.  It looks fantastic, Brian, well done! 8)  I also noticed a shameless plug for Terrific Timbers LLC. ;) ;D :D  And last years Common Ground Fair shirt. :)  Looks like a great time, sorry I missed it.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Brian_Weekley

Tried making a panorama picture by stitching a few photos together.  Shows the new roof and the field with a dusting of snow.

Happy Thanksgiving!

e aho laula

thecfarm

A horse or a beef critter on that hill would add alot to that picture. That looks nice.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dave Shepard

Very nice! Looks like a nice quiet spot to work. I hope there isn't 12 houses on the other side of the photo. :D

Did you keep track of how long it took for each phase of the project? Cutting and raising seems to be a much smaller part of the big picture, when it's all said and done.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

giant splinter

Brian,
Your building looks very nice with a dusting of snow on the new roof, I think it would make a nice photo and tell its own story with about two feet of snow on the ground and a shoveled pathway to the entry door as well as just a little smoke and heat drifting off of a chimney on the back wall.
Your barn is simply beautiful and in the perfect spot on your property to provide you with a creative environment to work in, let it snow and keep us in photos of your project so we can let our imaginations run away with ideas.
roll with it

venice

Great project! And it looks like you guys had a lot of fun.

I have a question;

I understand the design of the shed is an traditional one. Is there a particular reason for the "knick" at one side of the roof? Or did this design just develop from the addition of a smaller building to an existing one?

Thanks in advance and have a great day. venice

Brian_Weekley

I'm easily amused, but I thought this was pretty cool...  On Google Earth, I looked up the location where I raised my barn this past August.  Apparently, the latest satellite image was taken the day I unloaded my timbers--exactly one week before the barn raising.  The stone foundation was put down about 3 days after this photo.  Can you see me in the picture?  I was there getting things organized because the car is there!  The marvels of modern technology (from space)!

Nov-2014 Update:

e aho laula

Mooseherder

That's good stuff right there. :)
I love playing around with GE.

thecfarm

I'm the same way.  ;D  I think we was gone. Or I probably would of seen myself outside. I can tell when the picture was taken. I had a couple projects going in the field. And they are still going.

Brian_Weekley

Well, it's been almost a year since I've had the time to get back up to Maine to work on the barn.  Finally, had a chance to work on it last week.  Started the "wrap and strap" process towards finishing the exterior...

First, I added 4x4s on the interior to frame where all the window openings will be:

Next, I cut out all of the window openings in the existing vertical board siding:

I applied 15# roofing felt to the exterior of the board siding to act as a "dark curtain".  Since the siding has shrunk, this provides a black background between the boards when viewed from the inside.

All of the window openings were also framed on the exterior with 2x4s—sandwiching the siding with the interior 4x4 framing.  The 2 inch thick framing is intended to match the thickness of the insulation.

House wrap was then stretched across the bottom of the wall and held in place with 2x4s attached to the bottom sill.  All of the 2x4s were attached with 5 inch headlock screws.

Sheets of polyiso foam (2 inches thick) were cut to fit around the windows and foil tape was used on all seams.  After all the foam was in place, the housewrap was pulled up over the foam.  Both the housewrap and foam were held in place with 1x4 strapping and 6 inch SIP screws--screwed through the foam into the interior beams and girts.

That's all for now.  Boarded the window openings until I have more time.  The next step will be to attach horizontal strapping to the vertical strapping and then apply rows of white cedar shingles to finish the walls!

e aho laula

thecfarm

grweldon

Wow!  Sure does look good from the inside!  It is a bunch of work.  It will be beautiful!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

DeerMeadowFarm

Wow, this is a nice "barn". Battens on the vertical siding and it would have been done! Looks like this will be housing more than a milk cow.... Nice work!

Dave Shepard

When you are done, then I will know how to do this. :D Thanks for sharing. I have always liked the idea of wrap and strap over insulated panels.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Brian_Weekley

Had a chance to make one more short trip to Maine to work on the barn—probably the last chance until spring.  I only had two days available and one was rainy and cold.  Anyway, the big accomplishment was finally getting the barn doors on!  I used screw-in pintles to hang the strap hinges on.  However, this was kind of a one shot deal.  If I didn't drill the holes in exactly the correct spot, I wouldn't be able to re-drill them to make slight adjustments later!

We planed and fitted a nice piece of white oak for the door sill.  After installing it at the correct angle and attaching the side trim, we shimmed the door in place and marked the bottom edge of the hinges on the trim.  After many measurements, I finally drilled the pintle holes using a brace and bit.  After you screw the pintles all the way in (about 6 inches deep), there's not much depth adjustment due to the coarse thread (one full turn in or out is the only adjustment).  The three hinges lined up reasonably well, but it was still tough working the first door down onto the three pintles.  We knew the two of us could probably never get that sucker off again (the doors are about 130 lbs each and it's a tight fit between the three hinges), but it swung beautiful.  The doors are 3 inches thick, so one door needed a slight bevel along the edge to clear the other door when you open it.  Again, we shimmed the second door in place until we were happy with the final door width and gaps, marked it, and drilled holes for the second set of pintles.  The final door placement came out great.

One door is secured with cane bolts and the other with a deadbolt.  However, good luck finding a deadbolt that will fit a 3 inch thick door!  I found a "thick door kit" for Schlage locks on the internet.  It's really nice being able to swing open the barn doors instead of screwing a bunch of boards across the opening to keep the weather out.  We got some of the lath up to install the cedar shingles on.  Working by car lights, we got the transom window in too.  Too bad we didn't have time to finish the door and transom trim, but that will just have to wait till next time...

e aho laula

Jim_Rogers

Looks good, for sure.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

grweldon

DeerMeadowFarm

Thank You Sponsors!