iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cooking Pecan

Started by WDH, June 28, 2015, 08:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raym

Quote from: jim blodgett on July 06, 2015, 08:57:38 PM
Nice, Raym.  That looks like the spalted big leaf maple we cherish out here.

You turn that by any chance?
Yes....funny story, my mom had two large silver maples thatwere taken down that we're in a utility easement and I had the contractor leave the butt logs (30") for me to harvest for turning stock. I brought the pieces home and walked around them for about a year before I gave up on time and was going to move them to the burn pile.
I made a cut with the chainsaw and realized what was inside. Needless to say I spent the next 2 days cutting and sealing wood. I ended up with more than a truck load of large turning blocks....beautifully spalted?
'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

jim blodgett

Ryan

You said "...beautifully spalted?".

For sure.  And beautifully used as well. Very nice.

WDH

Well, I decided to saw the  smiley_devil today to see how the spalting has come along.  This is one coyote ugly pecan log.  Has been sitting since April of 2015, part of that time covered with planer shavings in the hope of getting it to spalt. 

Here is one of the first boards off the cant.  I am sawing this wood at 1 5/8" thick for table tops and coffee table tops and sofa table tops, etc.

Not too bad.  Some nice color, but not many black spalt lines. 

In the center of the log, believe it or not after 15 months, the wood looked too fresh for my taste.  I guess that I need to let these logs "cook" a bit longer  :).

Where is the spalt when you want/need it  ???. 

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

On a log that you don't want it to be on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Exactly.  I believe that burying the logs in the planer shavings did not help the process like I anticipated that it would.  It may have actually impeded the process somehow.  Oh well, back to the  smiley_devil drawing board.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Interesting result.  I would not have thought this. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

5quarter

Danny...Arky used to roll his logs under the trees and spray a bottle of colt 45 over them and cover the logs up with brush, leaves weeds or whatever. once in a while he'd water them down if he thought they might be getting a little dry. He'd set them up in the spring and saw them in the fall and nearly every one was spalted to the center. I don't know if he did Pecan, but he did do alot of sycamore and hackberry.
   I picked up a large chunk of Hickory once at the log dump that had been buried underneath a small mountain of logs and debris for years. it was heavily spalted right to the center and 100% solid...so I know it can be done.

Chet
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

WDH

Status update.  It has been two years since I began this spalting experiment.  A couple of months ago, I sawed all the remaining pecan logs that I had set aside to spalt two years ago.  When I sawed them, I concluded that I had waited too long and the wood was no good.  Still, I stickered the wood and let it air dry for a while and just finished kiln drying it.  Yesterday, I began to plane the wood because a customer wanted some for a rustic table.  It turned out better than I initially believed that it would.  Here are the boards that the customer picked out for the table.

Yesterday, another customer came by and saw me planing the wood and bought two bookmatched 9/4 slabs that were 5' long and 19" wide for a desk top.  Here is one of the slabs:

Another pic of one of the 5/4 boards:

I consider the experiment a success.  I am going to do OK with this  ;D.

YellowHammer

Looks great.  Is the wood still solid?
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

Yes, much more so than I thought when I handled the boards off the mill.  After laying so long, there were more deep end checks than normal, plus, pecan is bad to end split anyway ( smiley_devil).

grouch

Could it be that your planer shavings made the whole pile act as a compost heap and overheated the little buggers?
Find something to do that interests you.

Thank You Sponsors!