iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new rakers on Oregon chain???

Started by tgalbraith, December 26, 2013, 08:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tgalbraith

Has anybody figured out a good way to file the rakers on some of the Oregon chains.
My Huskavarna takes a chain that has the rakers curled over. No gauge that I have will
fit these. Even the company has not given me a good answer. :-[ :-[ :-[
Any help will be appreciated.
M Belsaw, 46" insert blade, Oliver 88 power  plant

AdkStihl

Sounds like Oregon Vangaurd. Take it back and find somewhere that sells Oregon LGX or have a STIHL dealer spin you out a loop of STIHL chain.
Don't get caught on the bandwagon that your saw has to wear X brand or Y brand of chain.
J.Miller Photography

sablatnic

I'd just file it flat on the top, to get the wanted clearance, .5 - .8 mm  /  1/48' - 1/32'.

Philbert

There were specific instructions for filing the Vanguard depth gauges in the older version of the Oregon Maintenance and Safety Manual (PDF attached).

The current version specifies their 31941 depth gauge tool - this is the 'saddle' or 'drop center' type, with the wide slot in the middle that fits over several types of reduced kickback depth gauges.  I use it as a general 0.025 depth gauge tool.

(Current Oregon M&S Manual) http://www.oregonproducts.com/maintenance/manual.htm

Philbert

sablatnic

Thanks for the link, but Oregon's site is quite difficult to navigate. Or at least I can't navigate it! :(
A direct link to a downloadable PDF-file: http://www.oregonproducts.com/pro/pdf/maintenance_manual/ms_04.pdf

Philbert

Quote from: sablatnic on December 26, 2013, 11:34:53 AM
Thanks for the link, but Oregon's site is quite difficult to navigate. Or at least I can't navigate it!

Oregon has separate sites for different countries, as well as 'Homeowner' and 'Professional' sites.  Some information I can get to from my computer, but not from my 'smart'phone.

The link I provided is for the current, US version of the M&S manual, which no longer has the specific depth gauge instructions for the Vanguard chain.  The PDF file at the bottom of that post has that information copied from an earlier version (2004?) of the manual.

Philbert

sablatnic

Quote from: Philbert on December 26, 2013, 01:04:12 PM
Oregon has separate sites for different countries, as well as 'Homeowner' and 'Professional' sites.  Some information I can get to from my computer, but not from my 'smart'phone.

The link I provided is for the current, US version of the M&S manual, which no longer has the specific depth gauge instructions for the Vanguard chain.  The PDF file at the bottom of that post has that information copied from an earlier version (2004?) of the manual.

Philbert

That explains my problems.
Thanks!

CTYank

By far the simplest way to file ANY depth gauges is Granberg's "File-N-Joint" clamp-on-bar guide. No mickey-mouse easily-lost doo-hickeys.
Handles any "round-filed" chain. Just need file diameter to match chain cutters, or flat file to set depth gauges. My saws never leave home without it.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Philbert

I like the Granberg guide. But I think the Vanguard chain is a little different, if you check out the PDF above.

Philbert

Thank You Sponsors!