iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinion on backhoe

Started by ohiowoodchuck, October 25, 2017, 08:31:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Do a search on these. They're amazing with the all articulated arm.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

ohiowoodchuck

I'll look but I need to stay in the big three or four. I have a new holland cat and Deere with 20 minutes and a hour to a case dealer.
Education is the best defense against the media.

BLink

I have run my JCB for 22 years and love it. I was in the excavating business and used it all the time. It has forks that flip down in front of the bucket that come in too handy.
It is also very easy to work on. I had an issue with the transmission about 15 years ago and I had it out in less than an hour and about the same pitting it back in.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

Satamax

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on October 28, 2017, 02:13:07 PM
I'll look but I need to stay in the big three or four. I have a new holland cat and Deere with 20 minutes and a hour to a case dealer.

I find those really cool. With the arm offset etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeVuOq-9_Ro
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Puffergas

This is my backhoe now. They sell stump buckets.

This was my backhoe before I sold it.

Jeff
Somewhere 20 miles south of Lake Erie.

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

4x4American

Puffergas I think that first pic of the skidsteer would be more aptly called a front hoe lol
Boy, back in my day..

Satamax

If you buy a backhoe. A good option, is to have a drop bucket in front. So you can grasp logs for loading.

Puffergas

Quote from: 4x4American on November 03, 2017, 09:50:07 PM
Puffergas I think that first pic of the skidsteer would be more aptly called a front hoe lol

4x4, where is the like button to press! My problem with the backhoe was that it was too small and no place to swing the dirt. Always re-handling. An excavator can turn 180°. And it was too big for small jobs. Now I have the skid steer and a real track loader. Maybe a dragline some day for making my frog ponds. And maybe a rock crusher ! ! 😀. And, and ! ! !
Jeff

GEHL 5624 skid steer, Trojan 114, Timberjack 225D, D&L SB1020 mill, Steiger Bearcat II

mike_belben

Quote from: Satamax on November 04, 2017, 12:54:20 AM
If you buy a backhoe. A good option, is to have a drop bucket in front. So you can grasp logs for loading.

Drott bucket.  Also called a 4 in 1.  Very handy once you learn how to use them. 
Praise The Lord

BLink

In my opinion, Forks would be a better option than a 4-in-1 bucket.
There are a lot of Old Loggers.
There are a lot of Bold Loggers.
But there ain't a lot of Old, Bold Loggers!

Stihl 034, Stihl 009, Husquvarna 3120, 540 Allis Chalmers Loader, International T1340 Crawler Drott 4in1 Loader, JCB 1400B, Cat IT14F

mike_belben

For purely log loader, absolutely.  But a machine with a drott is already plumbed for a hydraulic thumb on the fork.  I load with a plain forklift and its terrible without a grapple.  With a big grapple you can grab a while pile of logs.  Without it youre often having one flop out.. Especially when youre loading long stuff. 
Praise The Lord

woodmaker

I had a 4-in -1 bucket on one of my backhoes,and it saved so much hand labor ,and so much time,that i swore that i would have another. My current machine is plumbed for one,but I rarely use the machine for work(mostly loading sanders in the winter) so I haven't hunted one down . They work wonderful for loading logs,moving rocks,even picking up that last little bit of dirt that you keep chasing ,and eventually have to shovel in the bucket
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Puffergas

Jeff

mike_belben

I was stunned at how efficient i could dustpan that last bit of spoils with a drott.  I backdrag with clam open in float mode, then close clam it while curling back ... It gets every bit.  Someday ill have one on a tracked skidsteer.

Nice dresser!
Praise The Lord

Satamax

Quote from: mike_belben on November 04, 2017, 08:19:02 PM
Quote from: Satamax on November 04, 2017, 12:54:20 AM

Drott bucket.  Also called a 4 in 1.  Very handy once you learn how to use them.

Yep, pardon. My french!  ;D

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

ohiowoodchuck

I got a couple case 580e's to go look at. Anybody got any pointers on them.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: ohiowoodchuck on November 06, 2017, 08:15:15 PM
Case isn't a bad machine, biggest killer of a TLB is abuse and rot. If it's seen manure or salt just get back in your truck.

mike_belben

Are there any that havent seen manure or salt?
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on November 06, 2017, 09:59:20 PM
Are there any that havent seen manure or salt?
A little bit is one thing, I've seen some 4-5yr old machines that are just rotted to pieces. We bought a low hour 644K deere loader that had loaded salt for 1yr, never again, brake issues, literally tear the whole machine apart.

snowstorm

look the front axle over king pins center pivot . do a stall test 4 th gear lock the brakes hold it to the floor. shouldnt be ant tinny sound. look for excessive blow by. breaks work?

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: snowstorm on November 07, 2017, 07:09:09 AM
look the front axle over king pins center pivot . do a stall test 4 th gear lock the brakes hold it to the floor. shouldnt be ant tinny sound. look for excessive blow by. breaks work?
Thanks ol buddy. I'll keep it all in mind when I go check them out.

woodmaker

The 580 E was famous for rust. Look under the rear fenders,the bottoms of the doors,pick up the floor mats if you can. The E series backhoe doesn't   
have as much lift as the k series(two smaller hydraulic cylinders vs. one large one) . I can't remember if the e series has a case or a cummins diesel,but both are good engines. As snowstorm mentioned, check for blow-by.I had a k series with a cummins that got tired enough that it would not  start at 10 degrees,which doesn't work well to load sanders.
If you find one that is in good shape but needs engine work,remember that the case engines are sleeved,but the cummins are not,so a cummins would have to be bored .
franklin q80,builtrite 40,husky 372,sachs dolmar 123, dozers,excavators,loaders,tri-axle dump trucks ,autocar tractor with dump,flatbed and detachable trailers, and 8  f350 diesels

Thank You Sponsors!