iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 2 in 1 filing guide - interchangable?

Started by samm, August 13, 2018, 11:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samm

Hey gang.  My brother-in-law gave me an awesome christmas gift - a new Stihl 2-in-1 filing guide chain sharpener.  It's great, easy to use.  It is the 3/8" P (picco) pitch filing guide, with the 4.0mm files; great for my little MS192 and 193.
I also want the same sharpener for my 3/8" standard chains, on my 362 and 661.  I see Stihl sells the 2-in-1 guide with the 5.2mm files in it, but that's another $55 on Amazon.

Question: can I simply swap in Stihl replacement 5.2mm files and begin using my guide on my big boy chains too?  Or are the depths or angles different between guides?

Cheers!
SAM
Keep your stick on the Ice!

tawilson

Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

samm

Thanks for the link.

But my question remains unanswered - are the files interchangeable?

Pulphook

No...different size files for different size chains.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

tawilson

Did you try a file to see if it fits? I haven't but I doubt it. I think the holes for the files are sized appropriately. And the depth wouldn't be right either.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

samm

Quote from: Pulphook on August 13, 2018, 01:46:14 PM
No...different size files for different size chains.
Yes, different size files, we know this.
But I'd like to know if the files are interchangeable INTO the guide, so I can use the guide with different size files for my different chains.
Are the filing /or depth gauge depths on the 2-in-1 3/8" Picco guides vs the standard 2-in-1 3/8" guides different?  This would make sense, since the Picco chains are "low profile".

As far as, will the files fit in the plastic?  If I had any 5.2mm files, I would try to fit them into the plastic.  But I don't have any, I was hoping to get an answer here before I bought them.

Thanks in advance.

hatman-nz

have the older style  pfred  ones and  I'm  sure the. depth is different   and the holding area for the files  is made to suit the size  of file  .... you have got me wondering a bit now   as  I think the 3/8 one  may of been  able to been used on 404. chains   with bigger file      thats the older style. 2 in 1.  
Chain Saw Sharperners CHAIN SHARP ®
ummm  yes can use. different. size files in older one   , not. sure if there is a difference in  the depth  between the 2  models 
have not seen or used. the newer ones tho and looking at ordering  some soon  have to buy 4 of them. with having  3/8lp .325 3/8  and .404  chains     

mates got 3 of them  for his saws  he loves them   eazy to use etc etc 

teakwood

You have to buy another one, they are different for each size file. they are just like 35$ on ebay. Well worth the money as they will serve you lots of years
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

samm

Thanks all for the answers.
Looks like I will be scraping eBay yet again :laugh:
Cheers

MSdeer

Buy the Pferd brand (they make the Stihl ones for Stihl) Same product and you can find it for ~$27 shipped on ebay.

Thank You Sponsors!