iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer with antlers late in winter

Started by Ken, March 16, 2016, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken

I noticed some deer in the ditch along highway last week.  As I was driving by I noticed one still had horns.  Couldn't tell for sure but looked like about a 6 point.  What would cause a deer to keep his horns this late?
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Don't know, but fawns are dropping early. Cousin said her and husband saw a doe and new fawn already, near the barn with some other deer.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

POSTON WIDEHEAD

In South Carolina, fawns are born year round. The normal breeding season is the busiest for births but yep. year round births are not uncommon.
We are seeing a lot more inbred deer so it don't surprise me to see a buck or two with antlers early or having them late.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

limbwood

I have read that if they are still breeding they will keep their antlers. Don't know if it is true or not.

bucknwfl

If a deer had injured or lost his testicles will have deformed horns and can stay in a velvet like state and never lose them.  Testosterone plays a part in the antlers falling off.
If it was easy everybody would be doing it

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: bucknwfl on March 17, 2016, 09:11:18 AM
If a deer had injured or lost his testicles will have deformed horns and can stay in a velvet like state and never lose them.  Testosterone plays a part in the antlers falling off.
Buck,

Always wondered if you neutered a buck fawn if he would even grow antlers. We have several raise in the pasture every year. One small ridge above my old milking (later goat) barn is a regular nursery. In early May I start looking for them there and call my wife to come photograph them when I find one. We seldom touch them but I have caught and released them in the past. Mom is generally close by and often snorting at us. Had caught one buck fawn and mentioned it to my dad. He told me I should have castrated it. Had never thought of till then. I guess you don't care much for the idea of neutering Bucks though do you. :D :D :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Bibbyman

I've been out looking for antlers but only found one small one.  My nephew hunts them and found several.  I'm still seeing signs of rut - scrapes maintained,  etc.  But I've not gotten any pictures of bucks with antlers on my trail cam.

I've also not found any dead deer.  It was a mild winter but maybe the blue tongue and chronic wasting has ran it's course. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

The most productive Antler Hunters here use dogs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

Hard to find deer antlers here because the deer are scarce and the old wintering grounds are pretty much cut. Years ago it was easy to go in their trail networks where we used to fish trout and find an antler on the way to a fishing hole. The good old days, had nice deer paths to walk on.  :-\
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rooster 58

I've seen bucks wearing their  headgear as late as the first week of April. A friend and I were fishing for walleye at Pymatuning when we saw it

Thank You Sponsors!