iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Can I market these?

Started by Faron, March 22, 2007, 08:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Timberframe experts, I need a little advice.  It looks like I may soon be logging a large tract of white oak and poplar.  Many of these  are in the 11" to 14" range, pretty tall and straight.  They all have to go, or be dozed.  It looks to me like they are right for beams in the case of the white oaks, and maybe logs for cabins for some of the poplars.  I can saw these up to 21' long, and should have trailer loads available if I make the deal.  Does  anyone know some company or individual looking for these kinds of products?  These are located in southwestern Indiana. If anyone has other uses for this kind of logs, I'd like to hear your ideas.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Riles

OK, I'll bite. What's a *Pink* oak? An immature Red Oak? ???
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

ohsoloco

I was wondering that myself Riles, then I just checked this thread https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=24720.0

I'm curious, is it white or red  ???

Faron

DanGed if I know.  I am trying to deal with w-h-i-t-e oaks.  Guess the Boss is playing games again. We may have to send that Texan down to Florida to slap him crosseyed. ;)
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Raphael

There should certainly be a market for the white oak among timber framers and possibly the poplar as well.
What variety of poplar is it?
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

thecfarm

At least it's not them grits again.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Faron

Raphael, They are tulip poplars, also known as yellow poplar.

Raphael

Then you've got two nice timber framing species on your hands.
I haven't used tulip poplar yet but from what I've heard it's a joy to work.  If I had cash at hand and the distance weren't so great I'd be first in line to place an order.

We're up to our knees in mud and slush here w/ the larger tractor down for the count. ::)
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thomas-in-Kentucky

Definitely some great timber framing trees.

Try "Timbersmith" - they are a timber framing company in Indiana that works with Oak timbers.  Google should give you their web address.  If they have any need for oak timbers  (but they might just want to work with their regular suppliers - alot of timber framing companies are that way), they will take what you send them and put it through a 4 sided planer.  I had them quote my frame before I got the gumption to start on it myself.

Bottom line, you could cut cross ties and sell them (oak, not the poplar).  It would be a shame to use oak for that, but as a benchmark, it will bring about $400/thousand bf in those shapes for that application.  You should get more than that for them in timber framing lengths.  I have heard as cheap as $600/thousand and as much as $1500/thousand for oak timber framing timbers.  But I don't know nothin - I cut mine myself and didn't sell or buy any.  (have sold cross ties though).

-Thomas

HESKERLEW

I looked more at your posting in the TIMBER frame section.  I would definetly like to talk this over with you.

thanks

Faron

Thomas, thanks for the info.  I'll check them out. 
Heskerlew, A phone call will be coming your way.

Thank You Sponsors!