iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ring Chains

Started by deerguy, November 10, 2014, 08:41:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerguy

Morning Folks,
I know tire chains pops up here on a regular basis, but I'm still in shock and wondered about some helpful advice. I was at the local ag store on Friday and asked about chains for 18.4 - 34 tires. Price was about $4700 a set plus freight. I think they were 5/8". This is a Canadian price by the way.....
Is this the going rate or do I need to do some serious shopping ?? Thats a lot of wood out the yard for a weekend warrior !!!!

Any thoughts or ideas on where to shop most appreciated.

Deerguy
I knew she was a keeper when she told me to buy the old skidder !!!!!

chester_tree _farmah

The Chinese or Russian chains are less but also lower quality. Shop around. The prices also vary by style.   
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Someone saw you walk in and figured you had "sucker" written on your forehead. I can buy a set of 3/4 24.5 rings cheaper than that. Check with TCR or Comstock, I dont know if they ship to Canada but I would believe so. I bought a set of 5/8 close ring for 15-1700 I believe in January, been very happy so far.

BargeMonkey

18.4x34 tight ring 5/8 are 1719.00 U.S dollars on TCR.com website right now. I will sell you a set, shipped to your door for only 4599.99 today, save you a few bucks.  :D

chester_tree _farmah

TCR.com? I get a development company? Or do u mean tirechains.com? Thems I know.
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 10, 2014, 09:30:32 AM
TCR.com? I get a development company? Or do u mean tirechains.com? Thems I know.
Www.tirechainsrequired.com  they treated me pretty good, shipped right to the sawmill. Invest in the short chain jack they sell, its pretty good and so much faster than the screw, but still dangerous.  :D

chester_tree _farmah

Ahhhh Nice! They are the same price as the Chinese chains and made in the USA. Boo yeah!  ;D
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

chester_tree _farmah

Actually better prices. No shipping on Skidduh chains!
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

ehp

Phone the Napa dealer in Barry's Bay, they should have chains in stock unless someone bought them totally out of stock, they should be less than 1/2 that price so around $2000 or so plus tax now with our dollar taking abit of a dump it could be more but I bought a 23.1 by 26 set from them last year for about that same price . The Napa dealer is where we all get our Timberjack parts from so they know skidder stuff better good

jwilly3879

If you choose to buy from TCR don't order online, call them. I found out after the fact if I had ordered over the phone I would have saved over $200. The last set of chains we bought this summer was from Comstock, $2150 for TRYGG studded ice chains (23/1x26), dropped at the local lumber yard so we could use their forklift to load them.

coxy

ring chains  i hate them it makes me feel like i am jamming to the beat of some of this new music  :D :D :D :D and i hate most of the new music

cutter88

Holy crap is that for 2? I bought 2 24.5x32 3/4 heavy duty lug ring chains off Quebec traction last year for 2700 delivered to my door
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

David-L

I have had good luck with TCR. Free shipping and good steel made here not somewhere else. The other chains were a diamond pattern hakki/ofa boron ice. Sold them on a machine I had a few years back.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

Quote from: David-L on November 10, 2014, 08:36:05 PM
I have had good luck with TCR. Free shipping and good steel made here not somewhere else. The other chains were a diamond pattern hakki/ofa boron ice. Sold them on a machine I had a few years back.

Ive been happy with mine from them so far. Ive gotta ask, is there a reason you run your chains in reverse or just how you prefer them ? Out here its always ice on back, ring on front and on long dry skids we take the ice off and run the best tires in the back.

David-L

Barge Monkey, I had the diamonds on first and put them on the front without rings in hand. That was a second hand set of rings I bought for winter and before I could swap tires front to back and vise-versa I sold the machine. the 225 has rings in front and diamond in the back and that is how I usually run chains.

In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

BargeMonkey

I wasnt trying to be smart, just had to ask.  ;)  a few guys around here with ice on all 4's but its pretty much as stated about chains.

RunningRoot

I was gonna order Close ring chains threw Comstock but I never got a call back after leaving my name and number..
I have Decided to order from TCR, should have them by the end of next week depending on how long they take to ship and deliver..
A log in the hands worth two in the bush !

Ed_K

You better stay close to home  ;D .When I ordered from them they showed up 2 days later.
Ed K

chester_tree _farmah

Nice. Did u spiff that Ford diesel up yet RR?
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

RunningRoot

Chester>

Not yet, ordered A Kit from Foley's and got one for 2711 not 2701 ... So I have sense then ordered another from a place in UK called Uk tractor parts... Way cheaper than Foley's by the way so that's a plus..
I'm just glad I didn't open her up ahead of time, Someone here on the FF recommended not relying on them and it turns out that was really good advice... 

Should have it before the end of this week and hope to have the ring chains before the end of next week...
My guy said he can do the head within a couple days after drop off as long as there's not to much going with it and I will build the rest over the weekend as long as everything go's as planned..

BargeMonkey

Good that you had smarts enough to stay away from foley.  :D
For almost 3k for an engine kit, plus doing a head, plus labor and time, i hate to say it but your getting into the 4-239/4bt kind of money for a repower.  :o

RunningRoot

Bm>

Yea, if I was looking at that kinda money for the rebuild I'd be slapping a Cummins in it for sure, and may still do it late this winter. But now im thinking about upgrading from the C4D to something a little bigger, this is next spring of course, I'm gonna have to work her through the winter now that it's upon us.

The rebuild actually isnt all that bad. $600.00 and some change for the kit. $240 for the complete head rebuild and as simple as this engine is, its nothing but a weekend project.

This is all assuming my crank and other various parts are good to go of course ... we all know there is always extra hidden cost  ::)

BargeMonkey

Oh ok,  :D i was getting kinda queasy when i saw 2700 for an odd engine kit, plus the head plus labor. Yeah fix it and send it down the road. Right now there are some nice lower hour bigger machines out there. I thought a 450C was going to be hard on fuel but its not, if youve got a dozer to bunch buy the biggest you can afford. 24.5 tires fit really well. I asked alot of guys on here before i jumped into a dual arch, if youve got the country they are fast.

Thank You Sponsors!