iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just another day's breakdown-part two

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2012, 09:01:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Rogers

Ok, so last Friday, I was moving some logs around with my backhoe and the forks on the front bucket.
And I wanted to get around to the back side of the mill and move something over there.

As I drove the backhoe around the yard, which has be somewhat frozen for a while, the front tires dropped in and out of some of the wheel ruts that were made into the soft ground a few weeks ago when it was muddy here.

Next thing I know the left front tire is pointing to the right. And the right front tire is pointing to the left. I hate when that happens.

The tie rod end broke on the drivers side of the machine:

Years ago, I had a similar problem and I put on a new tie rod end.
Something went wrong and I had to bore a hole and put a small bolt through the tie rod and end to hold it on.

So, I called Napa to see if they could help me with a simple tie rod end. While on the phone with him as he searched his computer for a Case tractor parts and couldn't find anything; I did a google search for a dealer near me.

The one I went to last time I needed Case parts was at least an hour drive west of Boston.

But, I found one 16 miles away.

Napa told me that they might be able to find one if I brought the old one over and they measured it up.
But anyway, I found the one 16 miles away and I called a 800 number on the webpage.
I got some national operator, and she wouldn't stop asking me questions. She wanted to know, my name, my address, my zip code, my model of machine, my serial number, my email address, the name of my first born child......
I finally told her all I wanted was the phone number of the store near me.
"Well you can decline this if you want to...." I was told. I asked her to just give me the number.

After finally getting the number, I called them. Guess what I got? An answering machine.
Wow, Friday, just after lunch and they aren't even answering their phone.

I called my excavator operator friend and asked him where he got his Case parts.

He told me of a dealer in Concord NH where he got his parts.

I called them from the number he gave me as I didn't want to call back that operator again.

The said they had the part, because their computer said they did.
I asked them to verify that the computer was right.
Been there done that before, that is drive all the way over there and find out their computer lied.

So off to Concord, NH, a one hour drive each way, to get the part.

While at the counter, I asked for a new castle nut as well. And a new jamb nut to hold the tie rod end to the end of the tie rod.

Ok, three new parts and off I go.

Got back to the sawmill yard just about dark.

Got out my flood light to put it back together so that I'd be already for morning sawing.

Guess what? Wrong size castle nut.

I never checked it at the parts counter.
And it's Friday night and the case dealers are both closed on Saturday.

Ok, well Napa should have that for sure.

Looked at the clock, 4:55 pm. Napa closes at 5pm and it's a 10 minute drive to get there. Will it ever end.

Saturday, morning off to Napa with the new tie rod end, sure enough they have a new castle nut on hand, in a bin with the other regular nuts and bolts.
Twice the cost of the case dealer's castle nut. Another bite in the butt.

Now, back to the repair.

I had to bore a hole through the new tie rod end for the new "hold on" bolt I also got at Napa. And that was no picnic at all.
But I got it done and all back together again:

and a close up:

Now, I'm finally ready to start sawing my customer's logs. I got one loaded onto the loader arms and I'm ready to go.

Another good customer shows up with a load of aromatic red cedar chunks in his car and wants them cut into 3/4" boards. This things were shorter then the two middle bunks on the mill.

Well, I got them done, after about an hour, and he was happy.

But I still hadn't even got to my scheduled sawing job, yet.......
What a day......

Just venting I guess.....

Thanks for reading this.....

Jim Rogers

PS. check your castle nut before you walk away.......
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

zopi

Yeah, but:.............

At least it is orange. lol
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

bandmiller2

A-yup,sounds like an average day for a mechanic,you learn not to trust anyone behind a counter.Always bring visual aids and try everything.Hopefully you'll be set for years now Jim. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

thecfarm

I have the same luck too Jim.  ;D I know it does not help,but misery loves company.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: paul case on January 11, 2012, 11:19:45 PM
Case 530 backhoe?  PC
No, Case 580 tractor which that year the front bucket was an attachment. It was a farm style tractor with a three point hitch on the back that I hung a kelly backhoe attachment onto. Most people who see it call it a backhoe, but in reality it's a tractor.
Only the under carriage is orange.

Here is another shot of it:

Thanks for all your comments.

Jim Rogers

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Jim, this is a piece of equipment you just can't do without. It'll sure save your back!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

zopi

Well, there's yer problem...pai.t that sucker orange!
See, iffit was an Allis...

lol

Sure do wish I had a front loader for mine. Someday.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

pinehillstacker

I agree with Zopi, some Allis Chalmers orange would surely help.  ;D
Lonely Oaks Timber - custom sawing, logging

paul case

It looked like the 530 backhoe. 580 is just 1 model newer.
I have a 580B tractor/loader. The last time I broke a tie rod end the connecting pipe got bent pretty bad and instead of trying to straighten it I bought 2 tie rod ends at the local auto parts store and welded them to a piece of 2x2 1/4'' wall square tubing. It works well and only costs about what the Case brand tie rod end would have.
Jim,
The grease and oil on your tractor looks really familiar. Those tractors are pretty hard to beat. PC

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Jim_Rogers

After replacing the tie rod, many years ago, I ran it into a stump in the woods when I wasn't looking where I was going.
I bent it pretty bad.

And I wasn't very happy with myself.

I took the tie rod off and had a piece of angle iron welded to it so that it would stay straight.

So that's what I got now. I think you can see the end of it as it rests on that white sawdust bucket.

Jim Rogers

captain_crunch

M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!