iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

help for a newbie

Started by steve phillips, January 12, 2012, 05:34:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve phillips

howdy all ,
been signed up for a couple days or so . there is a lot of good info  thanks.

i need some help on blade speed , im not coming up with what i need . so heres what i have

20hp onan ,with 6 inch clutch pulley (ole wheelhorse tractor stuff) , my band saw wheeels are 19 inches od . what pulley would be good on this .

any help is great  steve
if its not broke dont fix it !!!!

Buck

Well, I'm no help but welcome Steve
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

Hello steve phillips, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I will defer your question to folks that know about stuff like that.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

dgdrls

Calculating Bandsaw Blade Speed
S.F.P.M. = Surface Feet Per Minute

"Knowing the S.F.P.M. for your bandsaw can be very important to getting the most from a particular blade and when cutting various types of wood. The blade manufacturer often specifies an optimum S.F.P.M. for the blade but attaining that rate depends on your saw and the speeds (pulley diameters) available.
The formula to determine S.F.P.M. is:

Motor RPM multiplied by the Motor pulley diameter divided by the Driven pulley diameter times the Bandsaw wheel diameter times pi (3.1416) divided by 12 = S.F.P.M.

Motor RPM X Motor pulley diameter / Driven pulley diameter X Bandsaw wheel diameter x 3.1416 / 12 = S.F.P.M."

http://www.newwoodworker.com/ref/bndswbldsped.html
http://www.diybandmill.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1459
Pull the old HP out start crunching some numbers

or
Check the red tool box on the left also, Don P's calc's

best and welcome
DGDrls

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum Steve!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

steve phillips

hello everyone  thanks for the greeting. i am looking foward to getting to know this trade (hobby for me ) . my dad came from a sawmill family  so its in the blood i guess.

on the formular . its just not my nite in the barrel  lol

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Welcome Steve to the Forestry Forum.

There's a key under the mat until we can get you one made.  :)

Virginia....beautiful state!

Take Care,

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

bandmiller2

Steve welcome,google Suffolk machinery and request one of their catalogs they have all the formulas and band speed information. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

steve phillips

hey thanks  bandmiller2  , will do right now

davey duck

Welome Steve to the forum ,
David G.Fleming

morgoon

Welcome

I am a total newb to this sawmilling thing, I have been puttering with my saw for a couple of years, and hanging out on the edges of this place just reading and reading and then doing some more reading.

I have learned so much here about every aspect of forestry, and in general this is the best place to pull up a chair, sit a spell and learn somethin...

And the golden rule I have found... is pics or it didn't happen :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

buildthisfixthat

welcome the 20 h/p onan is a good engine lots of torque ...you can click on the forum red toolbox icon on the lower left side of the page ...tool box and go to don p calucs and bandsaw blade speed .....some of those clutches have multi belt grooves may want to use the smaller pulley
shop built bandsaw mill

bandmiller2

Band speed or SFPM [surface feet per minute] is important, my homebuilt bandmill started life with a Wisconsin 2 cyl. engine and cut fine.Later I converted to three phase electric and slowed the SFPM down and it cuts much better, sharp bands last a little longer too.Don't recall the speed off the top of my head but the info is out there. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!