iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing at Andy's

Started by Tom, October 12, 2002, 11:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Back in Folkston, Georgia on the edge of the Okeefenokee Swamp, we were sawing more pine for a board fence. The five acre house lot (background) will be surrouded by a 4' high 3 board, treated pine fence that will be painted a thin black which will imitate creasote.

We are sawing in the Pecan Orchard on top of the Andy's grandparents old home site. The house was torn down a few years ago to salvage the wood for some of Andy's projects.  The main thing he was after was the 2" double bead, paneling that was in it throughout.

Sardis Church is down the road.  It is a Hard Shell Primitive Baptist Church 200 years old.  Some of the pine cut for this fence came from some bug killed pine from the church yard.  When I go back, we will be attempting to cut up a Loblolly pine from the church that is 40 inches in diameter and cylindrical as a pipe for 40' to the first branches.

That old church has a lot of history, including bullet holes in the pulpit from the Indian wars.  I'll try to get pictures of it one day if I can get inside.

Primitive Baptist is a dying religion.  Sardis has 6 members.  The church in DuPont, where we have our family reunion, has 4 members.  The communities take the churches under wing and try to help with the upkeep and expenses even thought the people don't belong as members  Primitive Baptist worship in a circuit of churches. Usually they attend a different one every 4 weeks.  I guess that came from the time when populations were sparse and the Church was a common gathering. Religion was a binding force in the communities. People would come from miles away to visit kin and worship spending the night away from home and "eating on the grounds". :P

Kevin

Are those sticks debarked?

Tom

They sure are Kevin.  God did it.  :D

Those are Loblolly Pine boles that were standing dead and the bark fell off when the trees were dropped.  They were quite difficult to cut because the band follows the wide grain and there were considerable knots in some of it.

psychotic1

Seems to me we had one of them churches near our place when I was just a wee lad.  Always a surprise to come home from school and see the parking lot and church filling up.  As I recall, they had quite a few members back then, but I don't know anything about them now.  We used to mow their lawn from time to time, and kept the trees from overgrowing.  Seemed like nice folks, but always a bit standoffish.  Maybe it just seemed like it to me at 7 years old.

Bruce
Patience, hell.  I'm gonna kill something

Tom

I think your rememberances might be fairly accurate. :)

Don P

I've talked with other carpenters about it. We have about 3 options for panelling standardly available now, mighty boring. Look at the old patterns, single and double bead, bead and cove, ogee, radius edged...seems like there must be a market out there to resurrect some of those old patterns. We've just run about a mile of v-groove, again, beats the heck out of drywall, but, boy I'd like to see something different.

Weren't those preachers called circuit riders?

Tom

I like the old beaded panelling too. It would, maybe, be overkill on a whole wall in todays homes but wainscot would be ok.  'Course I wouldn' mind it floor to ceiling, maybe even on the the ceiling. :D

These preachers were members of the church and are self taught.  They are called Elders and become an Elder when the other Elders decide they know enough. :P

Don P

Thanks Tom, I find trying to understand different religions interesting. Had a fun lunchtime with Horselogger getting the 1/2 hour version of about a half dozen sects. I held forth with a reading on the equilibroniums from the Wood Handbook to try to hold up my end.

One thing I've talked about with a friend is trying to run panelling patterns 1/2" thick but still getting nice reveals. In wainscot it would then flush up with sheetrock easy.

Don P

Filed under "whine first, research later"
These patterns are listed as standard by the WWPA...got a load of fresh stock in yesterday with the search directions on the label.
Never seen them in stock but this stuff is still available.

http://www.wwpa.org/patterns/sections/Siding%20&%20Paneling.pdf

Thank You Sponsors!