iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which Saw Should I Keep?

Started by Believer, January 30, 2010, 08:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Believer

Bought a farm so need a saw.  Messing around on Craigslist I've ended up with two saws, a new Stihl 066 and a new Stihl 460.  I bought the 066 for $695 and the 460 for $675.   Which one should I keep?  I plan to have one of these and an MS200T.

bill m

What do you plan on cutting? How many Hours a day? They are both good saws. If you are spending most of the time with the saw in your hands limbing go with the 460. If you will be milling lumber with a chain saw mill go with the 066.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Cut4fun

I vote keep them both. I always take at least 2 saws when heading out and there has been times i had to go to 2nd saw.

I was reading where one guy heads out with 3 saws and has gotten to the 3rd saw sometimes.

You just never know when your going to have a failure and those 2 saws will  not lose their value.

bull

I vote to keep them both, never work with less than two available saws..... I have 7 of various sizes
and age..... 6 huskies and 1 stihl, the stihl is the lender saw.....

bandmiller2

Boath are alot of saw, when you get the smaller saw you will find your using it 90% of the time if you have to sell one I,d part with the 66.Of course its best to keep em boath its hard to have too many saws.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

:D Well I of all people have no business in telling anyone they should limit the amount of saws they have .People in glass houses ,ya know .

While it's rather embarrassing I have stuck two saws in the same tree a time or two and needed the third one to cut loose the other two . :-[

To the question ,keep them both but chances are you will use the 460 more often .Taken care of they will last a good long time .

Ed

Definately keep both. Bars, chains and sprockets will interchange so no extra parts needed.
Put a bar on the 460 that will do 90% of your cutting, go longer on the 660 to do the rest.

Ed

Bro. Noble

We have an 066,  an 044,  and a 441.  I agree that it's smart to take two saws when you go to the woods.  Our 066 hasn't been out of the shed far almost a year.  I'd trade it for an 046 in a heartbeat.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

peppone

you're invited to visit my forum all about chainsaws:
http://lamotosega.forumattivo.com/forum.htm
saluti
peppone

ErikC

I'd keep them both for sure. I have them both in fact :D.  Never hurts to have a spare, and if you are in big wood much you may need big backup sooner or later. But you will definitely end up using the 460 more, so if you must get rid of one I would drop the 066.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

des170stihl

I,d surely keep them both, They don,t eat anything and you never know when you,d want that saw again.
STIHL MS170* STIHL MS260 Pro* STIHL MS 230* ECHO CS 341* Husky 339 XP * Wallenstein 20 Ton Splitter* Massey Ferguson 1528 w/Grapple ( Skidder Wanna Be ).

Believer

Well, I thought I only needed one big saw but ya'll are probably steering me right.  Just for understanding on my part, if I needed to use a backup saw, couldn't I just take the powerhead off the bar and hook up another bar and chain? 

Dakota

I wouldn't want to be doing that "switch out" at the base of a tree that was about ready to come down.  I vote for two saws, ready to go.
Dakota
Dave Rinker

JohnG28

That could also be an issue should you have a bigger issue than getting your saw stuck...never know when a problem could arise with a powerhead, though reliable they dont always work when you need them, and I wouldnt want to leave a half cut tree to search for another saw, or wait to fix one Im using
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

Quote from: Believer on January 31, 2010, 08:17:18 AM
Well, I thought I only needed one big saw but ya'll are probably steering me right.  Just for understanding on my part, if I needed to use a backup saw, couldn't I just take the powerhead off the bar and hook up another bar and chain? 

I actually done that for a friend. What a PITA when he hung the 2nd saw up too.

Al_Smith

:D Well it looks like I'm not the only one who has stuck two saws in the same tree . :D

I had one self proclaimed saw man chastise me for that .My reply to that was he hadn't hung on the vine long enough ,kinda peed him off . 8)

rickywashere

Quote from: Believer on January 30, 2010, 08:00:52 AM
Bought a farm so need a saw.  Messing around on Craigslist I've ended up with two saws, a new Stihl 066 and a new Stihl 460.  I bought the 066 for $695 and the 460 for $675.   Which one should I keep?  I plan to have one of these and an MS200T.
wont matter both will cut as logs as you need them even though the 066 has more power the 460 wont be far behind ... i use to do a bit of clear cutting for a strip mine and the 460 was a work horse //// but if it where me they both would be in my shed if ya can swing it

HolmenTree

Quote from: Believer on January 30, 2010, 08:00:52 AM
I'm new here on this site but I've around saws most of my life. I still run my 066 which I bought new 18 yrs ago, toughest saw I ever owned. Its cylinder has never been removed, just regular maintinence. Has a few thousand hrs on it and still has plenty of compression.
I never owned a 046 or 460 but my 044 is older then my 066, only rebuilt it once.
For farm use keep the 460 and for a small saw get a Husqvarna 346XP NE, I have one and its the best little 50cc I ever owned. Guaranteed you'll use the 346 way more then the 460.
You mentioned MS 200, I have one but all its good for is aerial treework or carving.
Willard.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Red 93 L1 #3383

I have a pair of 064's.  It's nice having a second big saw ready to cut at a moments notice.  Nothing worse than finding a rock filled hollow while cutting down a tree.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: HolmenTree on February 23, 2010, 11:31:37 AM
For farm use keep the 460 and for a small saw get a Husqvarna 346XP NE, I have one and its the best little 50cc I ever owned. Guaranteed you'll use the 346 way more then the 460.

I agree with this. You will love having a smaller saw for the majority of your cutting. I know around the farm I'd hate to be swinging my 460 around to trim limbs up or cut down little saplings and brush.

Captain

Another vote for keep them both.  I've got an 066, MS460, MS360, 020AV and they all go into the woods with me.

Captain

7845Robert

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 30, 2010, 09:43:30 AM
:D Well I of all people have no business in telling anyone they should limit the amount of saws they have .People in glass houses ,ya know .

While it's rather embarrassing I have stuck two saws in the same tree a time or two and needed the third one to cut loose the other two . :-[

To the question ,keep them both but chances are you will use the 460 more often .Taken care of they will last a good long time .

thats great, i had my saw stuck in a large swaying limber pine about two weeks ago and i used my second saw to cut the tree lose, before i went and got the second saw i unbolted the bar and chain from the 660, it dawned on me that i only needed another bar and not another saw. sorry to get off point but had to comment..

captain_crunch

I have no room to talk belive there are 9 or 10 of em around here. But I would keep em both if they are good saws Prices keep going up and if one has to go to Doc you are not down. Everytime I got one hung up in tree I was Hopeing it would go somewhere. Nothing like makeing a snare by bending a viney maple and rope to yank stuck saw out while you cut it out. That is ONE nice up grade that has been done by putting drum on outside of clutch so you can get motor off bar without breakeing chain
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

CX3

If it were me I would trade that 660 in for another 460.  Ive had them all and a 460 and 660 will cut about the same with a 20 inch bar.  And you wont have to swing that heavy sucker around all day.  Of course that is my opinion.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Thank You Sponsors!