iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does anyone know any Homing/racing pigeon fanciers in South Mississippi?

Started by LaneC, February 02, 2019, 05:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaneC

I have looked all over and called every disconnected number I have found, trying to find anyone in South Mississippi that deals with homing pigeons. I have asked everyone I know and even called the local feed store to no avail. This must be a very tight network indeed. If anyone has any suggestions or advice on contacts in said area, or advice on raising, racing or breeding the pigeons, I would truly appreciate any kind of comments, advice or suggestions. I don't know if this would be something I would like or not, but that is what I would like to find out. I have watched many videos and even read a few books on the subject, but until I find someone who cares for the birds, I will never know unless I just jump in to it, and I don't want to do that. Anyway, any comments, etc. are appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Runningalucas

I guess.... by way of default, I'm a pigeon fancier.  Started out feeding them, then rescue in Phoenix, and there are a lot of pigeons in Phoenix, lol.  We moved back up to the northwest, and took the pigeons with us, without issue.  Our kit is a mix of feral racing, and homing; we keep the kit around 100, and have to pick up the eggs.

Overall, they're fairly easy maintenance(daily), and can have a lot of great benefits; last I checked, the US Govt. is the largest breeder of pigeons in the world.  The most expensive single pigeon that I'm aware of was bought by a Chinese billionaire for just under $400k.  

I think by default, all wild pigeons are 'feral'; there are multiple breedlines: Homing/racing/roller/tumbler/fancy, and a few more.  All the different sports have big money on the line for breeding, and performance.  

I guess last, but not least, governments are using pigeons for secure communications, and bad guys are using pigeons to smuggle.

Overall, I do know a little about the critters ;)  Ask any question, I may know, and then again may not lol
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

WV Sawmiller

I love homing pigeons but it takes so many to make a decent meal and they are almost all dark meat. Also racing pigeons are harder to hit. (Sorry - the devil made me say that. :-\) Good luck on your search.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

:D :D :D :D Some people do eat them, from what I have read. I think it is called squab or squib or something like that. Runningalucas, it sounds like you like raising them. I am learning a great deal right now and I think it is another one of those hobbies that you cannot perfect, and I am good with that. From what I am reading/watching, it is also one of those things that you can get as expensive and as big as you want or are able. I would just like to start with a few and see if I like it. one breed in particular I was interested in, is the American show racer. Do you have any recommendations about certain books, clubs, breeders etc? Any advice is much appreciated.

Dave Shepard

I know somebody who had a pigeon living in his shop that his daughter had rescued. Well, the thing was pretty well rehabilitated, and he figured it was time to set it free. He would take it miles away and release it, and it would be waiting for him when he got home.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LaneC

Yep, I have learned recently that they got their name from "Homing". In other words they always try to return "home". Pretty interesting I thought.

Dave Shepard

I saw a meme the other day "I sold my homing pigeon on ebay. For the 23rd time."  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DaltonH-WV

Had a neighbor in NC that had a pigeon setup in a downtown setting. Was worried about city ordinances being changed over time so bought property behind him to make sure he had no problems. Spent up to 30k on the coup. I'd just sit on the porch and listen to them in the mornings. Was very peaceful. Good luck with the fun!

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 02, 2019, 09:33:19 PMI saw a meme the other day "I sold my homing pigeon on ebay. For the 23rd time."  :D
Reminds me of the old Gunsmoke episode where the old Indian Bull Foot kept selling a dog that would return to him. Said he sold him 7 times and finally the dog did not come back. Festus asked him why not and Bull Foot said said "The new owner fed him deer liver. I'd been feeding him corn meal porridge. Would you have come back?"

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

LaneC

LaneC

Dalton, were the pigeons loud or did they create any kind of smell or mess that you were aware of? That is too funny about that pigeon being sold so many times :). He could make a fortune off of that bird. I am just touching the surface of this sport and it is an eye opener. Some folks talk about paying $1200.00 for a pigeon like it was nothing. I may have to try something else. Sometimes cows didn't even bring that much.

51cub

You can try the American Racing Pigeon Union. They can tell you where the local clubs are. I think there's a way to do it through their website
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

LaneC

Thanks 51cub. I have been going to their site. I am not sure if theirs is the one I got the numbers from, but I have called all the numbers and they either have been disconnected or don't answer. I will try them again. I think 1 out of about 5 or 6 of them asked to leave a message, I forget now, but anyway thanks.

lxskllr

Quote from: LaneC on February 03, 2019, 11:29:35 AM
  Some folks talk about paying $1200.00 for a pigeon like it was nothing. I may have to try something else. Sometimes cows didn't even bring that much.
Probably like a lot of things, you can pay what you want. You can go have some fun, and play with birds for very little money, or you can get into collecting interesting specimens, or racing and spend a fortune. Keeping pigeons was pretty big in the cities in years past, by people that didn't have a lot of money. Perhaps you could breed, or luck your way into desirable birds, and make some money off of it, or at least have the hobby be self sustaining.

LaneC

I saw a video last night about a guy who bought a bunch for $10.00 each. I could handle that :D. I guess it is like anything for the most part, you get what you pay for. I am still looking in to this, but you have to dig deep.

Runningalucas

Quote from: LaneC on February 03, 2019, 11:29:35 AM
 Dalton, were the pigeons loud or did they create any kind of smell or mess that you were aware of? That is too funny about that pigeon being sold so many times :). He could make a fortune off of that bird. I am just touching the surface of this sport and it is an eye opener. Some folks talk about paying $1200.00 for a pigeon like it was nothing. I may have to try something else. Sometimes cows didn't even bring that much.
We started out with our pigeons in the city.  You've got to keep their coup clean, straw can help with this.  For around a 100 bird kit, you'll have a 30 pounds of poop a week.  We feed them 'layer' pellets they go through about a bag a week, at $12 bucks.  If you don't clean the poop, it will stink.  
As far as noise, they're quiet, but inquisitive birds.  With good food management, and a clean safe coup, they never bothered our neighbors..... EXCEPT, at feeding time.  It's a good practice to free fly your birds in the early morning, for a couple hours, then bring them in for the food at a set time, or set sound.  At feeding time, they can be annoying.  The sound of 100 birds taking off together, can be very loud; just the air moving.
As far as the expense, yes, pigeons go from free, $2, all the way up often times in the thousands, or tens of thousands.  Banded birds that you find, may carry a hefty finders fee/reward.  I don't know what it is with these birds, but for some reason, there's a lot of money tied to the sport.  
The neat thing, like in China, they've got a race there, that you need entry money for, but anyone can race.  The purse is a US 1 million.  
 Yep, I have learned recently that they got their name from "Homing". In other words they always try to return "home". Pretty interesting I thought.
Yup, build your coup out of wood, no ferrous metal, as it interferes with their homing ability.  They actually 'bond' with the wood of the coup.  Commonly to training is by letting them go a little further from the coup each day.  Another training technique for between coups is to restrict food, and/or water; they get it at point b, but not at point a, or vice versa.

Quoteit is also one of those things that you can get as expensive and as big as you want or are able. I would just like to start with a few and see if I like it. one breed in particular I was interested in, is the American show racer. Do you have any recommendations about certain books, clubs, breeders etc? Any advice is much appreciated.
Correct on the expense, our first coup was made from pallets; sides, and roof.  Our pigeons, like I said were, and are mainly rescue.  The average feral pigeon, which all you see in a given city should be, are often times leftover homing pigeons from bygone days when their forefathers had jobs.  Feral, they're worth about 2 bucks a piece on average.  

As far as books, and breeders; the only guy I know is Al Luna, who is fairly well known for his rolling pigeons.  The book? I never bought it, as it's so expensive, but Al recommended,'The Pigeon'.  It covers A to Z care, and techniques, but last I checked was very expensive.
Life is short, tragedy is instant, it's what we do with our time in between that matters.  Always strive to do better, to be better.

rjwoelk

I was in the understanding that the true homing pigion was extinct.

I got a bunch that live at my place you can have them. Maybe should try eating them. Just the breast meat? Dont look like much else on them.
How do you cook them?
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

rjwoelk

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

lxskllr

Quote from: rjwoelk on February 04, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
I was in the understanding that the true homing pigion was extinct.

You might be thinking of the passenger pigeon. Extinct 1914...
Passenger pigeon - Wikipedia
Probably make it the same way you would dove. I panfried it. Not much to them aside from the breast, but I thought it was tasty.

LaneC

Thanks a bunch for all the info. and input from all. I am going to keep looking into this venture and educate meself as much as possible. I just started out wanting a couple of pigeons :D  It has turned into a lot of things I am learning about, which is always a good thing. I am thinking maybe having 10 or 12 now. I was shocked that they can live up to 20 years and can mate for life. Around here I will have to watch for the hawks. There are a pretty good many around here, along with owls, cats, skunks and opossums. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Thank You Sponsors!