iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Today's junkyard find.

Started by Kbeitz, January 09, 2017, 03:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

With all do respect K, if you've never seen one before I firmly believe it hasn't been invented yet  ;).

gww

K....
If it weren't for my relitives who do like to shop, looking out for me, I would never get a good deal.  I believe you.  I also agree that if you have not seen it, it probly has not been invented.
Cheers
gww

Kbeitz

It happens to me a lot. It's one sure way I found to make money.
Just this week I found a Dynamometer in the junkyard. I had no idea
what it was until I Googled it. It's used to set the tension on cables
for bridges and towers. Sells for around $800.00 on E-bay.
I also found 36 new bandsaw blades. I will cut the longer one's down
to fit my machines. I'm sure glad I bought a blade welder.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on November 02, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
for bridges and towers.

With a little jiggering, you could use it to measure the tension in your blades on your mill...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 02, 2017, 09:02:36 PM
Quote from: Kbeitz on November 02, 2017, 07:01:42 PM
for bridges and towers.

With a little jiggering, you could use it to measure the tension in your blades on your mill...

I thought the same thing after I found out what it was. It's made for 5000lb. pull.
I was thinking that probably around the poundage needed for a saw mill band.
I'm not going to try it. I came up with a hollow hydraulic cylinder that works great
for tracking my tension and I'm done building bridges. Think I'll sell it.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

gww

K
I forgot to mention that at the same place I got the planer, my uncle bought an old fan, I am assuming like the one you have a picture of in this thread.  He paid $12 bucks for it.  He was very excited cause he came home and looked on ebay and one had sold for $750 and there was another one listed for $950.  Him getting his fan is probly why I got the planer.  He needed and excuse to get back in the ladies house to see if she had other interesting stuff she would sale.

Since you showed your fan on here, I thought you might find that interesting.
Cheers
gww
Ps He says it works on high.

Kbeitz

Kinda hard to see but I some hanging in my collectible room and another 20 down
in my shop. Fans is always a good investment. It's not a good picture.

I like to clean then up when the snow fly's.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

btulloh

You should call those American Picker guys so they'll come do a show at your place.  Not so much to sell them something, but so we can get a good look around at your collection.  :)
HM126

bill m

A little late to this but the eye bolts pictured in reply #195 are called swing bolts. Mostly used on fixtures, jigs and machinery.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Kbeitz

Quote from: bill m on November 03, 2017, 10:24:03 PM
A little late to this but the eye bolts pictured in reply #195 are called swing bolts. Mostly used on fixtures, jigs and machinery.

Thanks...
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Kbeitz

I'm sure some of you people won't believe this story.
A few days ago my wife said that she would like a heavy
duty sewing machine to make quilts. I said I don't think
anyone makes a good heavy duty machine today. So
today I went shopping at my junkyard store and look at
what I found. Being that I spent 30 years in the textile
field I said I can fix that. I took it home and found that
it had a broken needle. I have a cabinet of around 1000
needles from one of the factory's I cleaned out. I put in
one that looked like it should work and tried to sew. I
wasn't doing to good. So I googled on how to thread this
thing up and now it works as good as new... I'm all smiles.
Wait till wiffie gets home.  8) 

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

I've got older Singer about like that.Cost me a whole 5 dollars at an estate sale .It's new enough it takes the discs for zig zag but heavy enough to go through 4 layers of denim fabric . Recently I put a new zipper in a pair of blue jeans much to my lady friends astonishment .She remarked most women can't do that and make it look good .

Peter Drouin

And it has a forward and reverse 8)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

gww

Mom has one close to what you have but it also has a reverse on it.  It used to work pretty good but now breaks the thread when you use the reverse.  I have three commercial sewing machines.  One is an old juki and the other two are cheeper chineese newer ones.

One is a walking foot machine for light leather.  None are really used in the last few years except by me to fix all the rips I get in my clothing from having favorite pairs that I like to wear due to having lots of the right pockets on them.

My wife is back to doing all her sewing on a just a portable phaff and an overloc.

What I keep my eye out for is a good 5 thread commercial overlock. 

My wife used to home sew for a factory.  It was hard work and didn't pay much.

When I was young, we did some hand quilting.  It would take up about the whole room haveing a quilt hanging while you stithed it up.

The world has changed quite a bit with the use of plastic.
Cheers
gww

Al_Smith

Some of those machines were pretty tough .My grandmothers old Singer which had been electrified from an old treadle  machine could punch through leather .Didn't have a reverse  but she could deal with it .----she also split wood at over 80 years of age .One tough old bird that one .

Papa1stuff

Bump ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :new_year:
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Banjo picker

I think the weather must have gotten bad up in the northeast.   Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Crusarius

its definitely chilled out quite a bit.

Kbeitz

It's been a while... Just to cold... But today I just had to stop and see
what I was missing... Not to bad. Guess I wont need to buy cable for
a while. The best thing was this stihl cement cutting saw. I can't find a
model number tag on it anywhere. I think it's a Stihl st400. I want to
research it to find out what I have and buy a recoil and a muffler for it.
Lots of other little goodies.

Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Gearbox

With a top handle maybe a 009.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Kbeitz

I looked over the saw to see if it was worth fixing. Two things I found wrong with
it. One the muffler was missing and it looks like it was run without it. I know
running a two cycle without a muffler can destroy it . But I see no burns on the
piston and it has very good compression. One of the muffler bolts was broke off in
the block. I had a very hard time drilling the broken bolt out. I used a carbide drill bit but it still drilled real hard. I resharpened the bit for every 1/32 of the hole I
drilled. The second thing is the belt was shredded.I think this is why they give up
on it. I also think this is why the recoil was missing. You need to remove the recoil
to get to the belt. So I need a recoil, belt, muffler and some bolts. Not to bad.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Crusarius

That is my goto saw for roof ventilation. Biggest heaviest beast but the easiest to handle while hanging off a ladder and working it with 1 hand. Also pretty close to impossible to cut through a joist or truss. The blades also last a lot longer than our vent saws.

Ljohnsaw

Nice score!  What kind of welding rod did you get there?  Looks like 30 or 40 pounds worth?  Nice cable, too.  Guess it's time to run another zip line! :)
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Kbeitz

Quote from: ljohnsaw on January 03, 2018, 07:18:16 PM
Nice score!  What kind of welding rod did you get there?  Looks like 30 or 40 pounds worth?  Nice cable, too.  Guess it's time to run another zip line! :)

7018's and 6011... Just what I use. Most of this stuff came from a gas line
company. I guess they are cleaning house. There was a lot more cable there
but it was under big stuff that I could not move. I have no idea how many
more rods might be under the pile. I'm going back to see if i can find the saw's
recoil tomorrow. There was 1000's of dollars worth of new in the boxes bearings.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

loggah

Looks like a good day of "SHOPPING" ,just amazing what gets junked.Within the last month i got a Onan aircooled 4 cylinder generator 15KW 3 phase or 10KW 1 phase. I also got a little giant no.2 manual steel sheer and punch, and also a fisher 200 lb anvil. Lastly i got 2 of the old style kerosene,oil rectangular tanks with working pumps on top.  I need to build another building ! ;D ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Thank You Sponsors!