iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drive belt

Started by bedway, August 20, 2012, 09:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

My mill takes a 84 inch drive belt. Id like to try to reduce the vibration in the belt while its engaged. Does anyone have experience with these twist belts with the individual links.  Thanks

beenthere

I use them on my shop tools, and they take out a lot of vibration.
Don't know what the length limits or HP limits they might have, if any.

Quality of the pulley's (machining, balance, etc. ) may enter into the vibration as well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

Those link belts are really meant as a temporary belt.  You can replace the belt on a machine like a lathe, or grinding arbor without pulling the spindle.  Marketing decided they could promote belt sales by advertising they reduce vibration which is a true claim.  The down side is they are expensive and won't transfer as much horsepower as a standard belt.

I buy good quality clogged belts to reduce vibration.  They also will transfer more power than standard belts.  Be aware there not for use in a clutch system.  I'm not sure if a link belt could be used in that application either.

Another thought is can you add an  idler wheel?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

DouginUtah

I think the two manufacturers of link belts would disagree about them being temporary.

http://www.fennerdrives.com/high_performance_composite_vbelts/apps/pt/powertwist_forest_products.asp

Reasons for using PowerTwist Plus:

* Easy to install without dismantling equipment
    * Runs in standard classical section pulleys
    * Unaffected by oil, grease, water, steam, and common chemicals and solvents
    * Working temperature range of -40 ºF to +240 ºF High resistance to abrasion and shock loading
    * Can be made to required length, by hand, in seconds
    * A permanent replacement, PowerTwist Plus has the same horsepower rating as conventional rubber V-belts
    * Available in 3L, A/4L, B/5L, C and D sections
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Thank You Sponsors!