iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 head from china

Started by welderskelter, February 04, 2017, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Anybody had any good results using a china head on an 066 or should a guy reach down deep and get a regular one from a stihl dealer? I am on a set income and I cant hardly crank my 066 anymore. I need to put a head on it with a compression release.Let me know please. Harold

HolmenTree

Check with our sponsor CHAINSAWR(to the left). He'll probably have a good used one for you.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

joe_indi

Quote from: welderskelter on February 04, 2017, 09:56:14 PM
......... I am on a set income and I cant hardly crank my 066 anymore. I need to put a head on it with a compression release..
Harold, like Holmen suggested I would explore the possibility of laying my hands on a used one that has a decompression valve, which is what you need to make it easier to crank that old 066.
You could also check if somebody could drill and tap a hole on the cylinder of your 066 to fit it with a decompression valve.It is possible most of the time.
You would need to replace the top cover (shroud)of your saw when you have a decomp valve, or cut out a portion of the present shroud.
I am posting a picture of both cylinders.
That decomp valve might be a tight fit on your current cylinder.But if it works...........?
However,I wouldn't try the "aftermarket" cylinder. I have had such cylinders just collapse or disintegrate because of flaws in the molding process.

ZeroJunk

The decomp is not guaranteed to help you all that much depending on the vintage. Mine is an older flat top with the three screw ignition, so there is not much way to retrofit it to something with variable timing. So, it is going to fire somewhere around 25 degrees BTDC. And, although the decomp makes it easier to get there it still jerks the rope out of my hand quite regularly when it fires.

Might be better to try and sell the 066 which bring good money and find a used MS660 which is much easier to start.

HolmenTree

For about $10 a D starter rope handle will solve your problems.
Works great on my Yamaha hotsaw.  ;D

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Gearbox

My view on Decomp is that the ones I have take more pulls to start when I use the decomp . Of course I am old and still drop start a saw.
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Canadiana

There is a video posted by a fellow member under the topic "how can you identify AM (after market) parts on a husqvarna" that should give good info on finding quality/price that you are looking for. Its a few minutes long but educational
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

petefrom bearswamp

gearbox, you mean there is another way?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Kbeitz

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

SawTroll

You can of course have luck with a Chinese aftermarket topend, if you are very lucky and pay an expert to rework and port it properly.

If not, just forget it, unless it just is about getting a saw running, sort of (I see fraudent sales ads coming, about "rebuilt" saws).

Sorry to be negative, but it is what it is = crap.
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

Most of the people who talk about the Chinese top ends have never run one much less rebuild a saw using one.

They look at one and make some pronouncement from looking at it.

Reworking one amounts to making sure there is no plating splatter or sharp edge on the ports.

If that is more than $200 worth of trouble buy OEM.

SawTroll

Quote from: ZeroJunk on February 10, 2017, 10:06:00 PM
Most of the people who talk about the Chinese top ends have never run one much less rebuild a saw using one.

....  .

Some have though - I haven't, but my brother has been trough several, including porting what looked somewhat promising, often with a cylinder from one kit and a piston from another. The conclusion is that buying a Chinese kit and putting it on a saw may make a running saw, but it never will make a well running one, without extensive mods and parts from at least two different kits. That is of course only sensible to do if it is about upping the cc to 98.5, if not OEM makes more sense.
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: SawTroll on February 10, 2017, 10:54:11 PM
Quote from: ZeroJunk on February 10, 2017, 10:06:00 PM

....  .

Some have though - I haven't, but my brother has been trough several, including porting what looked somewhat promising, often with a cylinder from one kit and a piston from another. The conclusion is that buying a Chinese kit and putting it on a saw may make a running saw, but it never will make a well running one, without extensive mods and parts from at least two different kits. That is of course only sensible to do if it is about upping the cc to 98.5, if not OEM makes more sense.

If it was not for the huge price premium everybody would use OEM.

welderskelter

I want to thank you all for the comments. I probably will go with a used head if I can find one. My saw came with a compression release but I scalded a piston right after I got it and all I could find was a head without one. I think my saw has had a problem from the beginning. I finally put crankshaft seals in it and it runs so much better than it ever did.  Thanks again.

ZeroJunk

Just want to revise something I said earlier. I used my 066 yesterday to noodle a 48 inch white oak in to quarters.
The decomp does make a difference. Doesn't eliminate the kick back completely, but it does help.
I was wrong.

weimedog

A discussion on two of the 066/660 AM top ends....ran two back to back....along with 15-20 minutes of"discussion" (Just warning you!). I've run them for a couple of years, one in here is one i built early 2015. Here's the thing. NONE of them will match OEM quality. Some will work pretty well. And while I haven't had any fail; for a person making a living with a saw, regardless of brand. OEM is still the best option. The extra 2 hundred dollars (or $250 in this case) is less than ONE day of work! And if you loose time & customers because of a failure, your not just out the cost of repair, but also the loss of potential income if that was your main saw. Really hard to out engineer the engineers who do this for a living. That's my take...although I've had fun with these, it doesn't matter if mine fail, I have a couple others that NEED the run time! Not a usual situation so still go back to what I've said.....if someone asks me the "best" option, where "best" equals reliability. OEM every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPlHfHFUFxg
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

ZeroJunk

I can't disagree at all.  But, the people on forums asking these questions are rarely if ever making a living with a saw.

Magicman

FF Sponsor CHAINSAWR has a few 066 cylinder parts:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!