iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log standards on a gooseneck trailer

Started by ohiowoodchuck, December 13, 2014, 08:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohiowoodchuck

I got a 20+5 gooseneck 20,000lb capacity. I'd like to figure out a way to put removable log standards on it. I need 10" from top of deck to bottom of log for fork access. I'm wanting to haul some pine in for pulpwood anybody got a safe reasonably priced idea?
Education is the best defense against the media.

Glenn1

Hello Woodchuck,

A while back, Yellowhammer posted this information on his trailer.  I found it very helpful and think that you will too.

You can google it:

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,75944.20.html
Vacutherm IDry, Nyle 53 Kiln, New Holland Skid Steer, Kaufman Gooseneck Trailer, Whitney 32A Planer

KyLogger

Guys around here that haul on goosenecks or flatbed trucks just build a set of bunks and have stubs on the bottom that fit into the stake pockets. A piece of cable with a clamp or piece of chain and a bolt hold them in on each side. 10" seems like a lot. Most bunks around here sit 4-6" off of the flat. My truck has no flat just a set of bunks, I think I have about 6" of clearance from bottom logs to the frame. I'll have to measure. I would use 4" sq. tubing to build em, or 4-6" I beam. Put gussets in the corner of the bunk and standard.

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

ohiowoodchuck

10" is the spec mead/glatfielter gave me. They have a log yard about 15 minutes from the house. I'm trying to get a hold of another guy to see if he buys pulpwood and how it can be delivered. I know he has a chipper because they sell semi loads of wood chips.

RayMO

If I had to have 10" above deck on my 22 + 5 ft 24,000 lb gooseneck I would find a different place to sell to if at all possible. I use 4x6 oak to space  with and have never had any issues unloading but I sell to smaller mills that are careful of others equipment.
Father & Son Logging and sawing operation .

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: RayMO on December 13, 2014, 09:12:46 PM
If I had to have 10" above deck on my 22 + 5 ft 24,000 lb gooseneck I would find a different place to sell to if at all possible. I use 4x6 oak to space  with and have never had any issues unloading but I sell to smaller mills that are careful of others equipment.
I think your right, I have a neighbor who trucks utility poles for a living and has a big john deere front in loader to load the poles with. I measured the forks and got no where near 10" of thickness.

Southside

I looked at a job and would have sold pine veneer to GP, they wanted a 10" bolster as well.  The issue was their crane had massive wedge forks that were 8+ inches thick at the rear.  Of course it would lift an entire semi bolster of logs at a shot so it had to be beefy.  For a variety of reasons I did not take that job.

I have a 20K gooseneck PJ dump trailer that the sides come off of and I built bolsters out of 4"X4"X3/8"  tube steel for the vertical stakes, 6' tall, and 4"X4"X6" for the horizontal portion.  Gussets in the corners and a gusseted triangle on the bottom bolster that has 4 - 3/4" bolts going through it into the floor of the trailer so I can remove them when not wanted and put the dump sides back on. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I have a 25K lb gooseneck trailer, I haul logs, farm equipment and lumber every week and have been very happy with these bunks.  They are 4 inch off the deck, and I get a lot of logs from commercial mills where they use either big articulated loaders or Pretice loaders and have never had any issues.  The standards are removable, the bunks are removable, and since the upright studs are pierced and welded into the bunk tube, the stake pockets take very little of the log load, so no chance of bending or tearing them out. The whole thing is removed in minutes.
YH

Empty Trailer

Trailer wth a nice load of walnut

trailer with two uprights removed to make unloading these big cherry logs easy.

Everything removed and hauling lumber
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Southside logger on December 13, 2014, 10:22:34 PM
I looked at a job and would have sold pine veneer to GP, they wanted a 10" bolster as well.  The issue was their crane had massive wedge forks that were 8+ inches thick at the rear.  Of course it would lift an entire semi bolster of logs at a shot so it had to be beefy.  For a variety of reasons I did not take that job.

I have a 20K gooseneck PJ dump trailer that the sides come off of and I built bolsters out of 4"X4"X3/8"  tube steel for the vertical stakes, 6' tall, and 4"X4"X6" for the horizontal portion.  Gussets in the corners and a gusseted triangle on the bottom bolster that has 4 - 3/4" bolts going through it into the floor of the trailer so I can remove them when not wanted and put the dump sides back on.
maybe that's why, I just assumed they had a large front end loader, I'll make a trip over there and see what they have. If they won't take 4-6" bolsters then I'll find somebody else, or just use it for firewood. I was just trying to sell something that way Uncle Sam thinks I'm trying on my 1040f.

mikeb1079

yellowhammer..... :o :o :o

those are some high grade logs!  nice setup
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Peter Drouin

With that set up YH, You must have a CDL-A for that?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Peter Drouin on December 14, 2014, 06:21:39 AM
With that set up YH, You must have a CDL-A for that?
All licenses requirements, high dollar tags and insurance are in order and have been paid, and get paid, year after year.  >:(  Don't even get me started on this one...
YH
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

ohiowoodchuck

Thanks yellowhammer, I will definetly be making mine like yours.

Southside

I may have missed something along the way, but I read the DOT regs regarding log bolsters when I built mine and I don't think the tube in a tube without a pin or bolt holding it together is completely legal, may want to check to be sure.  Just hate to see either of you get pinched by somebody trying to make his numbers for the month.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

coxy

WOW  cant believe that chevy has enough power to pull that trailer  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D  just kidding  they are real nice walnut     how many feet did you have on

ohiowoodchuck

That was one thing I am going to add to the design. I don't have a cdl, so I'm not going to give them a reason to ticket me if I can help it. I fall under ohio's farmer and 150 miles from home.

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside logger on December 14, 2014, 07:44:21 PM
I may have missed something along the way, but I read the DOT regs regarding log bolsters when I built mine and I don't think the tube in a tube without a pin or bolt holding it together is completely legal, may want to check to be sure.  Just hate to see either of you get pinched by somebody trying to make his numbers for the month.
Thanks for that, it's an easy thing to add.  I sure don't mind making things safer.  I've got pins holding the stakes in the trailer sides, no problem putting pins in the bolsters. 
Quote from: coxy on December 14, 2014, 08:12:35 PM
WOW  cant believe that chevy has enough power to pull that trailer  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D 
This is the second Chevy 2500 diesel I've used to haul with, and I'm always amazed at the power and ease of towing. 
A little backstory, this was my third iteration in trying to come in with an all purpose, convertible gooseneck.  I've tried two other brands of trailer and other bunk configurations, but never was happy.  When I rolled into the log yard for the first time with this rig, the loader operator looked at me from his cab and gave me a big thumbs up. I've been using it ever since.
YH

YellowHammerisms:

Gadrock

Last year I met YH and of course did a good inspection of his rig. Since starting logging this fall i sell tons of Ply logs on professional trailers of differing types. On those locations the industrial standard is giant forklift that really requires a lot of room. Think of it like this...a grapple top forklift that lifts 30 PLUS tons in one lift and delivers the load over there ...every few minutes.

I give YH the THUMBS UP for his developed idea that should be the answer for most of us...as long as we stay away from the rather large mills.

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

Grizzly

Something like this needs more room! But very few smaller trailers are going to deliver to this type of unit.  ;) I had lots of good times in BC delivering to the big guys.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: Grizzly on December 22, 2014, 01:30:34 PM

Something like this needs more room! But very few smaller trailers are going to deliver to this type of unit.  ;) I had lots of good times in BC delivering to the big guys.
Yes sir your right, I just found out the other day that this is the reason. The loader was bought at a local heavy equipment place, brought in piece's on several semi's and put together there, then drove up the road a few miles to the log yard. It will unload the whole truck on one grab. I'll have to build mine with the 10'' space or find another buyer. I'm thinking another buyer.

FarmingSawyer

Quote from: Grizzly on December 22, 2014, 01:30:34 PM

When I first saw this picture I thought it was a Tonka truck parked next to a Matchbox Car on an HO train set......
Thomas 8020, Stihl 039, Stihl 036, Homelite Super EZ, Case 385, Team of Drafts

thecfarm

Must be a Maine thing,  :D I thought the same thing. That "unloader" makes that truck,load of logs look small.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gadrock

That loader is similar to the ones used at some of the mills near us in Mississippi. Of course some are giant gantry cranes with the operator 150 feet in the air or located in an adjacent building ...using remote video devices.

A simple deviation to the problem is to increase the thickness to the bottom runners...put cuffs on the ends so that it can be slid into place. When not needed lift them up and place them in the barn.

Have a MERRY Christmas

David G

carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

enigmaT120

Ed Miller
Falls City, Or

Thank You Sponsors!