iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone here build their own wood boiler?

Started by spdjnky_42, January 16, 2019, 12:38:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spdjnky_42

I am in the process of building a 4 seasons room on my house. I also live on a steep hill, and the neighborhood limits me to how many out buildings I can have. I am building a large fireplace in the 4 seasons room, and Id like to incorporate a snow melt system in half my driveway. From the research Ive done I need around 300k BTU's, w/ 3/4" pex on 12" grid. I can fabricate and build most anything myself. Would I be able to build a stainless housing (upside down U) as the inside of my fireplace (3' tall, 2' deep, 3' wide, that can hold approx 200 gallons of water and have the wood fireplace heat it when needed to melt snow? Appears the only way I can hide the system, and kill two birds with one stone. Thoughts?

Vautour

.....Hey..spdjnky   so you want to incorporate  and hide this system (insurance reasons right? ;) ;)) hey i'm all for this kinda thinking outside the box too.. I'm not sure how cold it get your way but we've had -15°f a few nights this week(my diesel Jetta was not a happy camper smiley_furious)... correct me if I'm wrong but Fireplace's are made like the first models OWB and were not efficient at all (50%is what I've read).. they've got better over the years...I had a domestic wood heated hot water boiler (with similar dimension as your plans with door in one end and chimney the other "single pass") given to me and I installed it in my shed to heat my home.. took 4hrs to bring the temp. to 180° :(... out she went..so I installed my 3 pass boiler...15min later..180° thumbs-up... My opinion!! ..I see a losta work.. not sure it would produce enough heat... hope it helps your to decision..... my 2¢   

the Gospel is WANTED by the people in 52 Countries but made illegal by their Government

Gearbox

You will need to keep it hot . From what ever temp you start from it is going to rain in your fireplace until the water temp reaches about 145 . with a OWB we never let the temp get below 150 or they get wet on the inside of doors then drip . will smell up your house .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

E Yoder

Snowmelt has the potential to pull the water temp down and condense as was mentioned. It's a huge load.
I'd think a fireplace would maybe put out a quarter of the btu's needed, while sucking air out of the house the whole time.
HeatMaster dealer in VA.
G7000

Thank You Sponsors!