iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

thoughts on wallenstein firewood processor

Started by logman81, March 20, 2015, 08:47:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman81

I have been wanting to get a firewood processor for awhile now, but don't have a large budget. I was looking at the model 835 seems like it would fit my needs and budget. Does any one have any insight to them?
Precision Firewood & Logging

logman81

I think thier not a bad little processor for the money.

Wallys World

Wallenstein makes good equipment, I have the Timber Talon and a WX640 splitter. I have been looking at a WP830. The best thing I like about it is the max size of log, 22 inches vs. 14-16 for most processors in that price range. Also using your own saw makes maintenance easier. I thought about using my Stihl 056 or the MS440 on it. I have a 28 inch bar for them and use the pivoting saw holder on it. Also the 6 way splitter wedge.  With the auto splitter valve operating both ways it increases hands free production. Maybe someday.... though I did see a 13 hour used one on Ebay.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

sawyerf250

l have really been thinking hard on getting one also so l am very interested to see what people have to say about them. l also like the fact of the big diameter because of the sizing wood l generally work with is far from 16" and have 3 saws. l have been thinking about making a push to get into selling firewood and can't justify doing it with just the splitter as l already do 20 cord a year for our farm. l like the idea of being able to pull wood to the machine that is pilled up somewhere instead of have to get extra equipment to load the deck and that would make it more portable to custom saw and split for people. Have you gotten a rock solid price from them on one yet?
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

DeerMeadowFarm

I too really want something small to do my 10 cord a year for heat and a few cord in addition for some $. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of cash. It seems, to me anyway, that I can put something together for a lot less money or one that would do a lot more for the same amount of money....

Wallys World

I haven't talked to my dealer on a serious number yet. But it should be around 10000. The one on Ebay is 9500.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

logman81

I have yet to talk to a dealer yet, but I feel that a close to 1st price is pretty reasonable.  If I do buy one I will want the model 835 with a six way wedge and the saw pivot for my 660. I think with long wood and that saw and wedge combo it should do a little over a cord per hour.  I used do just about a cord per hour with my tw5fc and 373 husky.

jdonovan

Quote from: Wallys World on March 22, 2015, 09:51:56 PMThe best thing I like about it is the max size of log, 22 inches vs. 14-16 for most processors in that price range.

22" wood and a 6 way still probably means a lot of resplitting.

a 22" log has a circumference of 69 inches. if we split that 6 ways, we get 6 pieces that are 11" from center to edge, and (69/6)=11.5 around the edge. WAY too big for my stove. Perhaps ok if you're feeding a outdoor boiler, but for most folks thats going to need to be resplit. If I have to lift every split back into the processor, I might as well stay with my stand alone splitter.

There is a reason most splitters in this 'class' only handle 14-16" wood. Thats about the max size you can put through a 6-way without needing resplits.

The only concern I really had looking at the WP's was how much wood can you get split before the output side of the splitting operation fills up with wood, and makes you have to stop, or move to a clear spot?   

The price is certainly tempting, and even if you had to add a 4k conveyer its still 1/2 the price of a fully integrated unit.

logman81

I totally agree with you 12"-14" is about the right size to not have to re split. I think a conveyor would solve the problem of the split wood piling up. I agree the price is still a fair price even with having to get a separate conveyor. I really considering one right now. I think it could be paid off fairly quickly. You can always just use it as a splitter as well if you had wood all ready blocked up. I wish I could see one operate in person.

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: logman81 on March 24, 2015, 07:06:04 AM
I wish I could see one operate in person.
Contact Wallenstein directly. See if they have a customer in your area or within New England. See if any of their distributors are going to be at the Logger's Expo in Bangor this May (If they aren't; they should be!). Either way you can probably get to see one in action.
When I bought my 3PT winch last year it was at the loggers show. I was able to see several models and compare them all in one location. Then, when I made my decision, I was able to negotiate a "show special" price plus he threw in 3 choker chains.
I have contacted EZ Boardwalk because I like the looks of their entry level mill but they are far from Mass. The owner gave me contact info for two mills he has sold to people in NH. A couple hour ride for me, but I am hoping to get a chance to see one in action. Plus, there will be a bunch of mills to see and compare at this years show for me as well.
Good luck!

sawyerf250

l have wondered about the output section of this machine as well, but if you compare it to any of the other models of "pull-to" processor splitters they have NO output chute whatsoever and HAVE to have a conveyor. The output chute is adjustable up and down, so my thoughts where to put it level and pay a hired hand (usually a high school kid) ;D that helps on the farm and he could take it from waist high and either stack the wood or throw it onto the delivery truck or trailer whichever you have. Whereas if you look at the Hud-Son Badger processor which is a "pull-to" model they are base price of 16k, no chute and the split deck is about knee level and only room enough for one block of wood so then its just a glorified wood splitter where you are still picking it off the ground?!  >:( :( I'm with @DeerMeadowFarm on this one, I'm going to the forestry expo in Bangor and that's where l will make my decision. That place is kinda like a proving grounds to me? lol You get to see them all in action in one place and on the same day, you get a price on them all and they usually have good "show specials"  8) 8)
Massey Ferguson 375 w/838 loader, Wallenstien Fx 90 winch, 3 Husqvarna chainsaws

logman81

I will agree with all of That!  I wish I could go to the show but it falls on the same days of the Jeep club event and I volunteered to be trail leader this year so I'm counting on others to make decision for me on getting this machine. I'm looking forward to hearing what people fined out about them.

Corley5

I don't like the idea of dragging the logs through the dirt to cut them with a saw chain.  There's enough dirt on CTL wood.  Skidded wood is worse and then dragging it through the dirt again to get it in the machine for processing...  Semi chisel chain would be a must.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

logman81

All the wood I get is very clean it's all forwarded out of the woods so not much dirt there. I have a very good solution to eliminate dragging the logs through the dirt with the processor,  never touches the ground.

jdonovan

many of the videos I see of people running the WP's show the blocks never seem to land in the splitter tray ready to go, well perhaps 1:5, or 1:10 do. They seem to get hung up on something, and have to be manually rolled in, or catch, and land 90- degrees off and have to be rotated. After watching that, I almost feel it would be essential to have the saw holder as you are going to need free hands to align the block before you can split.

Don't love the winch-in the logs operation. It seems like you can only get about 1/2 of a 10-12' log pulled in before you have to go move the cable to the next log to use it to push the first log through the cutting area. But log 2 has to be hooked in the upper 1/3 of the length so it can get pulled in, then you can get the last 1/2 of the first log cut. Then you have to move the winch to the end of log 2 to get it into the cutting area, but run out of pulling space when only 1/2 the log is cut.

Seems like you get 4-6 cuts, and then you have to go move the winch cable location. Watching people run the thing seems like the machine is idle 50% or more of the time because you're spending a lot of time repositioning the winch cable.

Now if you were gettling 40' pole-wood that wouldn't be so bad. But if you getting the more typical 6-10' wood, that would really slow your production down.

I'm _sure_ its more efficient than a stand alone splitter, and lifting blocks onto the beam, but for $10k + I'm expecting more.

The more I'm thinking about it...
wp835 - $14,000 + fuel, maintenance, repairs, etc...

local firewood delivery service $200 a cord, delivered, and stacked, 5 cords a year. $1000/year. Even less if I buy green wood from them in the spring.

Hmmmmm..... a processor is sounding less and less like a good buy.

logman81

I understand what you're saying and I don't think it would be to efficient on short logs. However I get 20' pole logs so the cable won't have to be moved to many times. I sell my cord wood for $300 a cord for the premium and $225 for the lesser quality wood seasoned and also sell green wood and a lot of tree length. maintenance Is pretty minimal from what I have heard.

sawyerf250

Well I have watched what seems like hundreds of hours of videos on firewood processors, done a ton reading  :P and looking at the many different models. Can you tell how bad I wish I could have one!?  :) And I have yet to see any of these machines not have trouble every once and a while? Some of the smaller ones that cost more than this EVERY block has to be moved so I guess I'll take my chance on 1 out of 10? lol

My thoughts on the hooking and unhooking the cable is simple, Ditch the small hook that you have to try and push under butt logs in the ground (cuz we all know how well that works)and rig up a set o tongs on the end instead? Simplified that  problem... Or just have the helper worry about that jazz :D

As far as the length of the wood, that's not an issue for me as I cut all of our wood off our own land and yard it with the tractor and winch or skidder tree length. So yess it does get drug across the ground some but not all of it? Most generally if it's that muddy I'm cutting pulp or something that's going to the mill making it their problem?!  :D :D My thinking on this also is that you have to cut it up with a chainsaw anyway so why not at least get it up off of the ground ??? Then your not completely dead after doing this for 8-10 hours a day and then you are not picking blocks up of the ground to split them?

I would love to have a processor that had a live deck on it and a conveyor attachment so you could go around doing stove wood processing for hire or just stay home and mass produce.  However those models are much more money as a stand alone and then you need more equipment. Would also have to cut my tree length wood down to 10' sections and that in my opinion seems unnecessary at this point and you have to start somewhere??  ;)

Ford_man

When I got my first processor it was a Haki-Pilki, I then built a deck and was able to cut 20 ft logs. I it had a 4 way spliter and a 13 ft conveyer, it worked good and the saw was hand fed. After 4 hrs it was time to go take a nap. The one that I have now is a Dayna 14 SC all self contained with 14 ft conveyer and 20 ft feed trough with live deck. When I got the Haki Pilki  It was a demo and cost around 12000.It would run 1-1.5 cord hr.

sawyerf250

@Ford_man  how do you like your Dyna 14? I have also been looking at them.. I was thinking more along the lines of the 12 model simply because it is would be more in my price range as a start-up operation?

landscraper

Quote from: sawyerf250 on March 25, 2015, 12:21:41 PM
Well I have watched what seems like hundreds of hours of videos on firewood processors, done a ton reading  :P and looking at the many different models. Can you tell how bad I wish I could have one!?  :) And I have yet to see any of these machines not have trouble every once and a while? Some of the smaller ones that cost more than this EVERY block has to be moved so I guess I'll take my chance on 1 out of 10? lol

One thing that seems to make a log not land correctly in the splitter trough is when there is still some remnant of the last log sitting in there cockeyed and the new log falls on it and can't align itself into the trough as it falls.  A piece that hung on to the splitter, a big chunk of bark, etc.  Some of the lumpy, misshapen logs are going to be a PITA no matter what.  A lot of my firewood logs are what you would call UGLY, they are crooked or crotched.  They don't go through the machine as smooth as straight pole logs, but I still make good time with them.

In the foreground of the picture I'm standing on one of the piles I'll be splitting starting next weekend.  You can see some real beauties in there  :D  They might have to have a conversation with the chainsaw before they go on the deck.

Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

lopet

Quote from: jdonovan on March 25, 2015, 06:14:46 AM

local firewood delivery service $200 a cord, delivered, and stacked,

You have one heck of a deal. :o :o
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Ford_man

I like my Dayna a lot, I looked at the 12 when i was at the factory and they looked kind of small, I did see a log loading setup so you did not need a loader. When I ordered mine I got the feed trough 10 ft longer so i could handle longer logs, I have had 40 ft logs on it, I also looked at the Dyna 16 but decided on the 14 for price. I had a problem with a valve when I first got it and called them .they sent a new valve i had it the next day before noon. there ph no is on the decals on the machine.

sawyerf250

@landscraper  What kinda processor are you going to run all lovely mess through? :D Just kidding that's not far from the kinda stuff I would be running through mine I acquire one..  ???

landscraper

Quote from: sawyerf250 on March 25, 2015, 09:16:14 PM
@landscraper  What kinda processor are you going to run all lovely mess through? :D Just kidding that's not far from the kinda stuff I would be running through mine I acquire one..  ???

Not ALL those logs are going to the processor  ;) the seriously oversized (18"+) or misfit logs are kicked to the side.

I've got a dyna sc14, and with the exception of really gnarly "S"-shaped logs that curve two different directions I can't complain one bit, it handles ugly logs pretty well.  The really curvy stuff either gets bridged up on the log deck or just chatters around in the feed trough, not worth the time to fool with.  My frame is extended too, not 10' though, I think I got 6' extra - most of the logs I get are are 12'-18' long, and I try to keep them in the 6"-18" diameter range.  I take all the stuff that isn't processor material and set it aside and buck it up and then my teenage son splits and stacks it and he sells that wood himself.  Works good for both of us that way.  I get rid of the hard to handle stuff that comes along with the good logs, and he gets a good supply of wood to sell.

I have an older brute/built rite processor also with a similar design, it did ok on wood like that too, just a little slower.  I'm going to advertise it for sale here shortly in the classifieds section on FF (I have read and I acknowledge the terms of doing so) now that I have the dyna up and running good.

Good luck with whatever machine you pick, definitely worth the time to study on for a while, it's a big investment even for the smaller ones.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

logman81

This is great info guys I'm enjoying every ones thoughts and opinions on it. I to thought about the dyna sc12 seems like they make a good solid machine. I might even consider a used machine if the price was right.

Thank You Sponsors!