iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new use for grits

Started by pesaventoc, January 29, 2014, 05:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pesaventoc

Much of the south is covered in ice. My steps are slicker than deer guts on a doorknob. Then I thought of the lowly grit. Try it, it works and environmentally friendly. Disclaimer: I'm a grits lover.
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

clww

Good idea.
I've used bird seed before. Just watch out for the droppings.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

GAB

Sand works well here in VT.  You have my permission to try it.  I think it is cheaper (ok thriftier) than GRITS.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I've eat Grits off steps before. I mean.....you can't just let the birds have them.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I would not even eat them off a plate.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

And then there is that picture.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

r.man

Wow grits before the second post. Must be a record.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

LaneC

They also say that grits kill ants. They sweel up and die, but I am not wasting my grits on ants or steps, I like them too much :laugh:
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

Swell up, not sweel up, my bad :laugh:

Holmes

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on January 29, 2014, 08:49:53 PM
I've eat Grits off steps before. I mean.....you can't just let the birds have them.  :)
Super Squirrel at it again? ;D  You had better stay away from Sprucebunny.  :D ;D She shoots to kill.
Think like a farmer.

coxy

Quote from: thecfarm on January 29, 2014, 08:51:29 PM
I would not even eat them off a plate.  ::)
+2 on that( nasty nasty nasty)

pesaventoc

The only problem is, once the ice melts you're left with polenta. :o
EZ Boardwalk Jr., homemade log arch ,1610D Yanmar

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: LaneC on January 29, 2014, 09:51:41 PM
They also say that grits kill ants. They sweel up and die, but I am not wasting my grits on ants or steps, I like them too much :laugh:

"They" are wrong. Grits do not kill ants. They used to be used in fire ant bait, which is probably where the old wive's tale came from. Grits + poison will indeed kill fire ants.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

LaneC

Gotcha dodgy loner. You live in Mc Comb? My daughter is going to college by you. On the softball team up there. Hope they do good this year.

barbender

That'd be a sight to see, open the front door and there's Poston lickin' the steps :D
Too many irons in the fire

Coon

Now you've done it... First ya try to get us to eat da grits the ya try to trip us up wit dem dere grits...   :D   :D   what next??   :D   :D  If'n you're gonna trow dem grits out yall be further ahead to trow dem in da woodstove and keep warm wit em.  ;D   :D  I reckon dat be the only good and proper use of grits.. IMHO... 
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Coon on January 30, 2014, 11:35:25 PM
Now you've done it... First ya try to get us to eat da grits the ya try to trip us up wit dem dere grits...   :D   :D   what next??   :D   :D  If'n you're gonna trow dem grits out yall be further ahead to trow dem in da woodstove and keep warm wit em.  ;D   :D  I reckon dat be the only good and proper use of grits.. IMHO...

I'm glad to see someone knows how to write Southern Style.  :D I understood every word.

clww

Writing it and being it are two different things, though. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: clww on January 31, 2014, 08:28:54 AM
Writing it and being it are two different things, though. ;)

:D :D :D

Coon

I THINK I may have Cabin Fever here..... I ain't no southerner by any way shape or form although sometimes I wish I was down der.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Magicman

Well if you ever do make it this far South, there will be a bed waiting for you.....and no grits.  I would love to sit and visit with you.   smiley_gossip
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sandhills

You can stop in here on your way to Magicman's place, the room and board is really cheap just pray that my wife has the night off, her cooking is WAY better than mine!  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!