iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIRDS

Started by Bro. Noble, December 16, 2004, 10:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Gary, he's a docile feller isn't he? If i tried to take a pic of him I bet he would come at me with beak wide open and talons outreached and screeching like the world's on fire. :D :D

Nice picture btw. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff B on December 10, 2006, 08:03:17 PM
They have a short growing season yes, but its an intense growing season as there are many more hours of day light then we have.

Doesn't belong in here, but to elaborate on Jeff's response with some info from the Geophysical Institute in Alaska.  ;D

Life of a White Spruce

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

gary

Swampdonkey we chased him all over the warehouse until i could get a good picture. I was about 3 feet from him when I took that picture.

Mooseherder

These little fellers are scouring the yard for feed right now. I hope they eat Grubs, Ants and Weeds. :D
They're welcome to come and feed daily. ;)

Jeff

Not sure what these little fellas eat.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Mooseherder

der dey are.
Santa's little helpers. ;D

Onthesauk

A couple of pictures my Sister sent today.  Snow geese in the Skagit Valley, about 70 miles North of Seattle.

John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

Thats more then a couple... :)

SwampDonkey

Did you see the guys from the midwest that raised some whooping cranes and used an ultralight and a crane voice box, that sounded like a parent crane, to fly with the birds in migration to Florida??? It was neat to watch the birds from the ultralight mounted camera. At times they were barely flapping their wings as they used the air foil off the ultralight fan to glide right along behind. One bird got killed when it ran into a hydro line at dusk.

Apparently there is a season on cranes. Maybe they attack crops, I didn't catch that part. But, I think it's the sand hill crane they can shoot. What I'de like to know is how many inexperienced fellas shoot any old crane and find out it's a whooper and just leave it because of risk of fines.

I seen a re-run of the Nature show last evening.

Jeff

As far as I know, all cranes are protected in the states. Even the ones da yoopers call sand turkey. :D

sawguy21

Quote from: Jeff B on January 03, 2007, 02:37:28 PM
Thats more then a couple... :)
They are starting to cause problems due to overpopulation
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

SD
I too saw that special on the ultra-light flight for the Whoopers this past fall. Very interesting. True to form, they sprinkled in a good dose of the "tear jerkers" like shooting the Sandhill cranes. I also didn't think there was a season, but they showed plenty of film of blasting them out of the air (close-ups of gun muzzles etc.) and the dead ones landing in the water, then grabbing one leg and dragging them off. Guess they were trying to show that the Whoopers were shot off in big numbers years ago. Maybe Sandhill Cranes have a season in the South, but none up here in the rookeries that I am aware of. Not too many years ago the Sandhill cranes were in very small numbers in WI, but now we see lots of them.

Very interesting program to train the Whooping cranes to migrate to FL. Should just send 'em down with the snow birds each winter....... :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Shotgun

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 03, 2007, 03:50:01 PM
Did you see the guys from the midwest that raised some whooping cranes and used an ultralight and a crane voice box, that sounded like a parent crane, to fly with the birds in migration to Florida??? .....

Apparently there is a season on cranes.

Here's a URL for Operation Migration, leading the Whooping cranes from WI to FL.  It's very interesting to follow each year. It's a pretty large operation.  This year's project took about 75 days from WI to FL.  They're really dedicated folks.

http://www.operationmigration.org/index.html 

I've been following it for several years.  The web site is an excellent source of information on Whoopers and the Daily Journals are great to follow.

There are Sandhill crane hunting seasons in 9 out of 10 states in the Central Flyway and also in selected states in the Pacific Flyway.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SwampDonkey

Thanks for the info Norm.

Why is it when ever something negative about hunting gets aired someone gets down trodden? I think a lot of people remember things about hunting in the past which was not well regulated and some folks get real touchy on both sides at times.  I do not see 200+ bird flocks of geese anymore, but I see lots of 25-30 sized flocks. On the farm we had an area about 10 acres in size that would turn into a shallow lake in spring and fall and that used to be alive with ducks and geese on migration. ;) It since has been drained, but is marginal for growing crops because it's a low spot where water flows into from the gentle sloping hillsides. Once we wield our influence over things we sometimes regret it later. ;)

pigman

Operation Migration takes the whooping cranes only about 20 miles from my house. For the last two years I have planed to go watch them fly over. They get stuck in southern Indiana for a few days because of poor flying weather,  I forget  to check the web site and when they finally fly,  I miss them. :( Maybe I can catch them next fall.

Bob

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Furby

Just send the wife witch up to keep an eye open for thm Bob. ;)

Paschale

Had a redtail hawk walking around in my backyard yesterday while I was eating breakfast.  I think he has his eye on all of the starlings that like to congregate in my bushes.  I've seen him many times, usually alighting on the top of my pine trees in the back, but this is the first time I've seen him walking on the ground.

I hope he sticks around!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Ron Wenrich

You have starlings this time of year?  Even with a warm year, they've been long gone.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

SwampDonkey

Ron, we have starlings here every winter, even in a real winter. I see them here every day, they group up like pigeons in barns and sheds and stuff. I see them on the road side wires in bunches. Remember they are not native, and thus aren't driven to migrate. Although, I'm sure a few seek warmer weather during winter. They were always at grandfather's bird feeders all winter and usually the native birds had to keep their distance. ;)

Paschale

There's a huge swarm of them that live downtown near our central interchange of two interstates.  At dusk every day, fall, winter, spring or summer, they're swooping and whirling around the viaducts.  Quite a sight...and I wish they were all dead.  Doggone pests.  I hope that hawk gets 'em!   ;D
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

jon12345

Saw an osprey for the first time here about a week ago.  I had no idea what this huge bird was since the only ones around that size we see around here normally are herons, and once or twice a year a bald eagle.  After searching google pics for a while I found the only thing close to what I saw.  So for now it was an osprey, unless it was some bird that got blown in from a foreign nation.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

SwampDonkey

You might if you have some open water Jon. Remember they are a fish hawk and they normally winter on the Gulf Coast, Coast of California, South and Central America and Europe/Asia and Africa believe it or not. They are not far from large bodies of water. We have a lot of nesting platforms here along the upper river valley, including power line poles.

jon12345

There are a few lakes, one a couple miles away that is about a mile wide at its widest point, and roughly 6 miles long.  We live next to a 'creek' that could be considered a river by some standards, but not much still water on it now that a bird could hunt for fish.  Last winter 4 bald eagles were eating a deer carcass on the ice across the street.  I saw a juvenile bald eagle at the state park thats on the lake I mentioned.  My guess is the osprey was passing through to one of the great lakes from the coast, or confused by the warm weather.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Onthesauk

My Sister just emailed this to me.  She works for North Cascade Institute, an educational organization in the North Cascade Park.  These are counts on the Skagit River.  I fish up there a lot, knew there were a lot of eagles this year but had no idea how many!

Here is the eagle count from the past four weeks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Newhalem to Marblemount        17
12/13/2006        Marblemount to Rockport 263   Total =     389
            Rockport to Sedro-Woolley     109
            Newhalem to Marblemount 51
12/20/2006  Marblemount to Rockport 397    Total = 627
            Rockport to Sedro-Woolley     179
            Newhalem to Marblemount 28
12/27/2006  Marblemount to Rockport 385   Total =     589
            Rockport to Sedro-Woolley     176
            Newhalem to Marblemount 57
1/03/2007   Marblemount to Rockport 580    Total =    859
            Rockport to Sedro-Woolley     222
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

SwampDonkey

On the 1996 Prince Rupert Telephone book there was a picture of about 30 eagles sitting in one big old sitka spruce.  8) 8)

Thank You Sponsors!